Tires and tubes that resist flats?

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
What tires and tubes do you all recommend to keep from getting flats? Which ones are the most puncture resistant?

Pat

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Ive gotten 2 flats in 400 miles. I use my bike to commute to and from work, 20 miles round trip. Its no fun dealing with a flat with 5 miles left to get to work and its 105+ degrees having to stop every .5 miles to pump it back up. I would like to avoid that, so I was wondering about everybodys experiences with good tires and tubes.

Thanks,
Pat

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
have you heard about keplartires i have them in my bike , first you buy a slime tube a slime tube tire liner and then the keplar tires i have them about 8 months and so far not a single flat you could purchached them to freedom bikes yhey are located here in tucson their number is 520-777-0926 i am sure they might be able to order some for you

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
Go to your local bike shop, they'll be able to help.
Yeah go to your local bike shop, just don't go to mine, they'll try to overcharge you or sell you something you don't need.

Unless I'm completely out of it, does $60 sound right to replace a few broken spokes?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am sure the $60 was used to subsidize some ultra uncomfortable shoes and way too tight shorts

Cheers
Chainmaker

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
I have heard that full kevlar tires resist punctures and you can get extra thick tubes.

Mind reader, Why shouldn't anyone leave the road? Just curious why you said that.
If it's just flat dirt you should be fine. However if it's dirt with a lot of small rocks, chances are hwen you turn you'll fly off, and if it's big bumps, you're gunna fall off or damage your engine.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
So far my experience off-road has been good. I built my mb on a mountain bike frame primarily for off-road use. I am running a 54T sprocket. I have been riding it in the mountains and at some places dirt bikes ride. I am not trying to argue with you just wanted to let others know that off-road is an option for the mb's.

I did spend 7 months building this bike and bought a lot of aftermarket parts to make it more reliable and off-road worthy. It is also a good bike not like the cheaper walmart bikes. To agree with you I wouldn't go off-road with the wally or target bikes (especially cruisers) too.

Here is my bike:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Anyone ever tried those solid foam tire inserts they got at walmart now? It's like a big length of hard foam you wrap around the rim in place of the inner tube and just stick the tire over that? No air needed

I almost bought it, but I was afraid it would warp over time or develop a flat spot if the bike sat too long.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i would not recomend it it will make you ridae a living **** oops what i meant is a rough ride and like you said it would warp over time when i got my keplar on my bike we had to cut the tire plus the solid tube with a hacksaw in order to get it out so thats my opinion

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Back on topic...
Get tires that are designed for the road or off road conditions you will use them under. Then,
line them and use the extra heavy "thorn proof" tubes. Then, don't ride at the extreme right (
if in US) of the road. That's where all the crap ends up that will give you flats. I ride in the right
tire area and only move over to let traffic pass.
Now, go to a pool supply store and by enough backwash/drain hose to line both tires. Use contact
cement on the inside of the tire and one side of the hose to hold it in place while you mount the
tire to the rim. Then kiss flat tires good bye.

Attachments

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
Go to your local bike shop, they'll be able to help.

Anyway, you shouldn't get to many flats, because you shouldn't be leaving the road.
I dont know where you live but where i live theres glass in the streets most of the time also little
pieces of metal that you cant see.