stock carb question

GoldenMotor.com

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
does anyone else's leg hit the choke when peddling with the stock carb installed? if so what do you do to prevent it

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
i just use a rubber band that i wrap around the choke lever then the other end goes to a nut on my front derailur, but if you find that your not using the choke at all then just remove it. you can always put it back on if ya ever need it, i never need my choke but i keep it on there just cause lol, but try the rubber band it helps alot :0

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
ah makes sense, yeah I'm running really rich right now so i don't really need it. but as i actually tune this carb i will prob need the choke at one point. rubberband sounds good though, thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's but a single screw and you could jus' remove it altogether - even put it back on later... if ya don't tend to lose stuff like I do...

In any case - I've never needed it, even riding all winter in Maine. There was a coupla times I used the primer, but it was like 30 below or something 'tarded.

Still, all these things are a lil different so it's yer call ;)

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
yeah i just moved my c-clip up one notch so i might need it, havnt had a chance to ride yet though.

a sidebar:
my engine was 4 stroking a bit at WOT so i figure that this would help, also it was pretty smoky and a little bit of gunk was coming out of the exhaust. also it instantly stalls out if the choke was engaged even a little bit. i suppose that ill hear if im leaning out and i can then switch it back. Just wondering what you guys think.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That sounds about right but honestly it's the plug that tells the tale. You'll prolly always have a bit of gunk comin' out the exhaust and while the choke is a better telltale - it's also an effective kill switch on a well tuned carb if the engine is just warmed up *shrug*

Synthetic oil can have a different coloration on the plug's electrode - but ashy white is lean no matter what, black & oily/heavy deposits is ofc too rich. With a non-synthetic it should be a coffee/tan - my synthetic seems to like a darkish gray.

Also - alla these lil 2 strokes 4 stroke a bit, particularly when new and/or not under load. They improve with time/mileage so if yer still under 300 miles I'd not worry the carb too much ;)

Last edited:

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
hmmm ok maybe ill click that c-clip back down one. my frame is so small that for me to pull the plug i need to pull the whole engine... (read:pITA) i suppose when i run a little lower oil:gas ratio it will run a little richer too.

i dont know what to do to be honest... i dont want to lean out, but i think that one click up wouldnt change it THAT much

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
2nd ckip was way too lean. back down to 3rd, running great after the gasket matching, also greased the main drive. things running like butter its great.