Another Old Guy Looking to dip my toe in the water

GoldenMotor.com

850 Combat

Jan 31, 2010
Valdez, AK
Hi

I've been interested in these for a while, and I think I'll buy or build one. I kind of like the complete kits with bike and all, but haven't seen one with a threadless headset yet. Also, it seems obvious that a disc brake rear hub is a super simple way to attach a sprocket, but nobody seems to be doing it that I have found. I'm also very interested in the crank & jackshaft assembly that allows use of the rear derailler.

I guess the Pirate motor or Grubee are my current favorites. It is not totally clear how they are equipped. I do want an engine with needle bearings on the wrist pins, and balls or rollers on the big end and mains. I don't trust bushings or plain bearings on e two stroke.

Anyway, I'm 54, and own 19 running motorcycles. I hope to get some valuable insight here on what to use and what works. I'will probably have the bike in Miane.

Are there any club rides or meets anywhere? Anybody tour on one?

What kit is most reliable and easiest to get parts for?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey welcome..... actually King Sales one of the vendors on the right side offers sprockets that mount to a disc brake mount. I ordered one from them last week and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival for My build.weld

Cheers
Chainmaker

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hey combat - it sounds like you've done your research well as the Grubee and the PK both seem the easiest to get replacement parts for. To the best of my knowledge neither use bushings and while "reliability" is sort of an open-ended question with much depending on the owner's skill and experience - even my "no-name" first kit is still going strong with a minimum of attention and lots of abuse.

It's a somewhat controversial view to be sure, but I'm still convinced there's actually very little meaningful differences between stock engine kits - that it's far more important to do business with a vendor that has an excellent reputation for customer service as no matter the "brand" it still comes down to "the luck of the draw" - a few engines just fail no matter the sticker on the side... they are after all still el'cheapo Chinese kits lol

We've a few Mainers here on the forum, but typical for the breed - we've not "organized" ourselves in any way heh As far as I know we all live just far enough away from each other as to make it somewhat inconvenient to have a get together (ya can't get thar frm here eh) - but come spring I'm sure we'll hafta do something.

Welcome to the forum (^)

BTW - a alternate solution to disk brake mounting the rear sprocket is Jim's custom sprocket adapter also available through Pirate Cycles (tho they have just the two common sizes).

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
welcome combat sounds like a pretty good cycle collection ive only got 3 but i am addicted to these bicycles and have 4 building a #5 soon they are a blast buddys come over and i tell em grab a bike lets go #5 is for my nephew have a good 1

850 Combat

Jan 31, 2010
Valdez, AK
Hey combat - it sounds like you've done your research well as the Grubee and the PK both seem the easiest to get replacement parts for. To the best of my knowledge neither use bushings and while "reliability" is sort of an open-ended question with much depending on the owner's skill and experience - even my "no-name" first kit is still going strong with a minimum of attention and lots of abuse.

It's a somewhat controversial view to be sure, but I'm still convinced there's actually very little meaningful differences between stock engine kits - that it's far more important to do business with a vendor that has an excellent reputation for customer service as no matter the "brand" it still comes down to "the luck of the draw" - a few engines just fail no matter the sticker on the side... they are after all still el'cheapo Chinese kits lol

We've a few Mainers here on the forum, but typical for the breed - we've not "organized" ourselves in any way heh As far as I know we all live just far enough away from each other as to make it somewhat inconvenient to have a get together (ya can't get thar frm here eh) - but come spring I'm sure we'll hafta do something.

Welcome to the forum (^)

BTW - a alternate solution to disk brake mounting the rear sprocket is Jim's custom sprocket adapter also available through Pirate Cycles (tho they have just the two common sizes).
Maybe we could do a meet at Owls Head Transportation museum. I've got a place on Hermon Pond outside Bangor. Where are you?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - I'm in the Bath/Brunswick area, about 60 miles from the Owls Head Museum... so while it would be a heck of a trip on the MB, it's not that bad a car drive *shrug*

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Welcome Combat,
I ride almost every day, at least a short ride. Sounds like your a outdoorsman, Alaska and Maine... I don't know why but I love it here. I'm in Durham, Maine, 'bout 15 miles from Barelyawake, I hope in the summer when it's a bit more comfortable to ride we have a get together/cruise. I know quite a few folks in Lewiston, Maine who are well into this "hobby".
Drop a line when you get here.

Mac

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Combat welcome!

We are now stocking the following adapters from Jim, the modus, the cb110, and the occ sprocket adapters. The 68 spoke micargi sprockets are making their way here as well.
Sprocket sizes are 36, 38, 40, and 42's. We have some 48's on order. I have to update my site with the new sizes. They are in stock now..

We also just got in a bunch of Worksmans Bikes. We now supply the HD front drum brakes and rear cb110's with the 11ga. spokes. These are extreme wheels..
IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG

Thanks for mentioning us Barelyawake.. My Dad is a sportfisherman in your area. Catch 22 Sportfishing Charters. Ever heard of Him?
Justin

Last edited:

850 Combat

Jan 31, 2010
Valdez, AK
Combat welcome!

We are now stocking the following adapters from Jim, the modus, the cb110, and the occ sprocket adapters. The 68 spoke micargi sprockets are making their way here as well.
Sprocket sizes are 36, 38, 40, and 42's. We have some 48's on order. I have to update my site with the new sizes. They are in stock now..

We also just got in a bunch of Worksmans Bikes. We now supply the HD front drum brakes and rear cb110's with the 11ga. spokes. These are extreme wheels..
View attachment 19792 View attachment 19793 View attachment 19794 View attachment 19795

Thanks for mentioning us Barelyawake.. My Dad is a sportfisherman in your area. Catch 22 Sportfishing Charters. Ever heard of Him?

Justin
Well, I think it will be the Pirate motor, now I just need to figure out if I want a whole bike or a kit.

Steve M

Nov 27, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
This is a great site 850 Combat you will learn alot and much better
than a book! I have a question for Justin, will you have tha workman 11 gage spoke wheel with a Manic sprocket combo? Also do you now sell a 26 inch rim and sprocket combo?
Hope I didn't hijack this thread. Thanks, Steve.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
This is a great site 850 Combat you will learn alot and much better
than a book! I have a question for Justin, will you have tha workman 11 gage spoke wheel with a Manic sprocket combo? Also do you now sell a 26 inch rim and sprocket combo?
Hope I didn't hijack this thread. Thanks, Steve.
Steve,

Yes we have a special Cb-110 worksman adapter coming. We will offer a combo package within a couple weeks.

We also stock a regular 14 ga. wheel in black and in steel that work with the cb adapters we stock..

We can attach the adapter and prebend the brake arm if you request it.

Thanks,
Justin