what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Nice to have an old SW gauge for a mab, Dhawk!
Is it a big one?
...or actually meant for bikes?
rc

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO

Finished cutting off one rib of the serpentine belt on the Toro bike to make room for the larger tire for more shieve clearance. Test ride felt great.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Finished cutting off one rib of the serpentine belt on the Toro bike to make room for the larger tire for more shieve clearance. Test ride felt great.

Looks real good Ken. Maybe we'll see you for a few cruises in the spring. Thanks for sharing!

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

took my bike to its 1st destination today, the grocery across the street. Came home with 3 orders for motorbikes. Apparently I'm in business.
lol we'll see

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

played musical seats.think I got them right this time
LOL, I did that last week, and ended up choosing the one that was on the bike.

Carb adjustments have been finicky. Too high, and the clutch is still engaged at a stop. The bike's like a war horse, pulling at the reins. Too low and the engine dies at the light. Fortunately, the bike is light and I am strong. I simply lift the MB onto the sidewalk, then mull over it for a few minutes. After an adjustment, I'm on my way again.

My newly-installed chain tensioner and windscreen are working flawlessly.dance1

New stiff gears are awesome. Before, I skipped every other gear while upshifting. Now I skip every two gears on the flat road. So it's first, then fourth, then seventh gear, which is cruising gear @ 17.72:1. On an incline, I tend to use every gear while climbing.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

I got the new bits and they're complete junk, couldn't finish the first hole. I have a new Milwaukee drill bit coming. Made in USA. Should drill those holes and hundreds more. I have a 15 year old 3/8ths Milwaukee bit that's just about a sharp as the day I got it from the used tool store. Too bad that tool store is so far from my house.

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland

This week I reassembled my old MB w/ China girl 2 stroke.
Because I have had 2 rear wheels severely damaged by chain tensioners I cut the chain shorter and installed it without a tensioner.
With the bike right side up I put the chain in place over the sprocket and then mount the wheel by sitting on the ground with my feet against the crankset and pull the wheel back hard while tightening the nuts with my other hand.
So far I have put about 80 miles on it and have re-tightened the chain by moving the wheel back 3 times.
This has all been experimental so far but I am getting close to just cranking that thing into place TIGHT and for good.
Q: smear some thread locking compound around?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

KDB, I had the same problem when I ran mine without a tensioner. Are you using the rag joint? Do you get a lot of vibration? Getting the chain extra tight is NOT the answer. The tighter you get it, the more it will stretch anyway, and the faster that motor will "walk" that axle forward, no matter how you crank on it. Then you will have to rebuild your hub components on a new axle when you strip out the threads.

Check my User Page for a spring dampener roller, or ask around for spring tensioners and chainstay-to-seat stay flat bars that use the roller wheel (can't turn into the spokes)

The heavier chain you can go with, the better!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

57, Have you replaced your clutch with a non OE clutch (shoes, arms, or springs)?
Is your clutch cable sticking? When I first built my friction drive bike, I was having a similar problem (no carb adjustments to make, but bike was idling up some). It was the cable causing the problem. I used a gearshift cable instead of brake cable, and used lots of chain oil on the housing, and it quit happening.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

57, Have you replaced your clutch with a non OE clutch (shoes, arms, or springs)?
Is your clutch cable sticking? When I first built my friction drive bike, I was having a similar problem (no carb adjustments to make, but bike was idling up some). It was the cable causing the problem. I used a gearshift cable instead of brake cable, and used lots of chain oil on the housing, and it quit happening.
No, I have an OEM 47R centrifugal clutch. I'll check the cable.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Installed the new handlebar basket a Wald 3114 lift off and the clutch roller.

Took it to the store to test it out and it works everything works great.

pease

Apr 3, 2010
htebhn

was gona put my SBP kit on,, but missed the mail truck. wakin up early to do that before work...

ran my HS142f today,, when I give just a small bit of throttle the engine dies down a little bit and then jumps up as I give it higher throttle not to kill it.. <no choke>. I havent had a chance to run it with resistance, but the 4g output pulley jumps and hits the mounts to the little plastic bits that covers it,, hopefully won't b a big problem. anyone have an idea on the throttle tho? Hoping a new airfilter/muffler will fix..

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Put a screwdriver, needlenose pliers, and a clean white cloth (for laying out parts if I had to) all into my pocket. Then I went for a spin through my mobile home park, tweaking my carburettor as I went. She's dialed in as well as I can get for an NT. Which is to say: having a performance air-cleaner, jet work, and the engine ported, my girl moves when I ask her to move.

PS: Bairdco knows stuff: a petcock with better flow and a larger inside diameter on your fuel line can make a lot of difference. Your float bowl gets fuel on demand. No lag. No bogging. No waiting as the car behind you honks. Here's your fuel-Zoom!

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod

I always had a feeling not enough fuel gets through the stock cock valve. The few times Ive drained my tank have proven this to me. then I think 80 miles to the half gallon I should get by with an IV drip filling my carb . No?

Not to mention the crunchy grinding I feel every once in a while when I turn it to the off position even though I have a screen on it I use only 93 octane as well ...not the 86 oct.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I'm off to donate blood platelets @ the blood bank. From now on, I'll drive to/from the bank. Why? A blood donor who had given more than 200 times before fainted shortly after donating. He had rested enough before getting off the chair, folded his blanket, walked to the snack room(We get snacks!)and keeled over.

Imagine that happening to a motorized bike rider on the road!

Yeah, so I only filled the oil reserve w/Opti-2 and wiped oil spray off the bike.

I've been thinking about fabbing a 1-ounce oil reserve tank. Then I'll permanently connect it to my 4-liter Happy Time fuel tank. I've been filling/mixing oil @ the gas station for months. This'll make the mixing process more passive/automatic.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I've been thinking about fabbing a 1-ounce oil reserve tank. Then I'll permanently connect it to my 4-liter Happy Time fuel tank. I've been filling/mixing oil @ the gas station for months. This'll make the mixing process more passive/automatic.

The Vespa that my uncle used to have had a measuring cup built in to the underside of the fuel cap. He would fill up the cup with pre-mix, dump it into the fuel tank, then fill up the fuel tank with gas. He would then shake and bounce the Vespa around (it looked really funny!) to mix it up good before starting the engine.

Perhaps you could do something similar only have it with some sort cap on the cup to seal in the oil until needed.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Thanks for responding, GearNut.

Right now I keep 1 oz of Opti-2 in my 18oz reserve aluminum bottle in its cage. It's handy to pour in before filling up. I just wanna be fancy, so I just flip another valve and the oil dribbles in. Maybe a springloaded push button valve.....