what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Looks good noisydad! She's full of class!

Today I'm painting my muffler. The goldish color finally got to me (I thought it would burn off quickly), so off it goes. I needed to run to the store, so I slapped the straightpipe back on. Wow is she loud lol

My brother was over with his Knuckle. He had to change his Q-matic's belt and tensioner and decided to paint it while it off and apart. Came out nice!

Attachments

Last edited:

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I sure hope you're up and running again soon Dan. Glad you're still with us.

Thats one heck of a cool crowd you run with msrfan. Nice bikes, I like the tanks.

Today I went to AZBill's house and bought my exhaust. I also got to ride his stretch cruiser! I should have asked for twice around the block (Thanks Bill)!

I put the exhaust on, note the custom allstrap clamp. I have my chain on but I wish I could get it a little tighter. I also wish I had my tank right about now.

And I finally got bairdco's Stewart Warner Speedometer up and functioning. I had to lengthen the little tab that goes between the spokes.

Attachments

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

That 1/4" of cable pull transmits to half choke at least.... OH well luckily it was an easy problem that did no damage said:
I had this problem with the cables on my ultralight. I replaced the dust boot with a short piece of fuel line and used 2 small worm clamps.

Some just used saftywire clinched tight around the cable and then around the hex adjuster, with no dust boot at all.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca

I made some new tank mounts to hold the tank to the two rails of the frame. Used a new material that is very easy to work with and relieved the harmonics associated with a steel tank. This might be a good way to some how mount the motor to the frame. I may try this stuff in the future for a MM.

U.S. Plastic Corp.® carries an excellent selection of UHMW sheet, UHMW rod and UHMW shapes. UHMW is ultra high molecular weight (UHMW) polyethylene bar that has exceptionally high abrasion and impact resistance properties. It will outwear all other materials, including metals, nylons, urethanes and fluoroplastics. In corrosion resistance, it has the same qualities of other polyethylene plastics. UHMW resists wear, friction and corrosion and thus it cuts maintenance costs, energy consumption and extends equipment life. Applications for UHMW materials include guide rails, wear plates, rollers, conveyor augers, bin and hopper lines, chutes, bearings, bushings and gears.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I will definitely have to get a few more pictures next time around. the Higgins build is coming along somewhat quicker now, as I finish the painting and some of the fabricating. I found a picture of an old Indian that has become a sort of target to aim for, in so far as how close I can get my Higgins to look like it. The headlight will be pretty close; handlebars with cylindrical tank on top - pretty close; paint scheme - pretty close; white tires, luggage rack, leather saddle, cloth wrapped wires, old-school speedometer, etc. Just because I discovered that I can. I can do this. Having much fun over here.

Attachments

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Today I finally got my tank back. It's coated with something that makes the metal look anodized red. So I took it home, mounted it up, poured oil into the engine, attached the gas line to the carb and poured gas into the tank.

About four pulls later she was purring. I finally have my bike built. I still have some slight adjustments to do but she's up & running!

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR

Today I stared at my bike on the stand waiting for the small drive sprocket. I have another one off a different engine(same size motor, same number of teeth, different size crank shaft and thiner key). I was thinking that I could solve both problems by filing down the key that fits the other sprocket on the side that goes in the shaft but then I would have to find out if a shim would work.

I am waiting on a new sprocket tomorrow. so my question is will a new Skyhawk GT-5 work with a 415 chain? The chain that came with the kit lasted about forty miles.

mike

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

I apologize for not posting pictures.

Today I rode my bike to work. It was a brave move, but a crane putting up my new A/C unit on my house was blocking my driveway. It also pedals well so I figured what the heck?

I took the canal from Metrocenter to Cave Creek Road and up to Cactus. I kept her between 15-20 MPH according to my S/W speedo (thanks again bairdco).

Cave Creek has a pretty good incline; when I first bought this bike, I rode it around without the motor a little bit and couldn't make it up that road. This motor ran me right up that hill and sounded like it actually enjoyed do it.

I'm going to start a thread in the Cruiser section and try to get some help with a couple of slight issues.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Suweet, she's got some great curves Smoothe.

(in pic, drive chain looks a bit slack?)

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Yes it does Dan, and that's one of the things I'm concerned about. I bought a 1/2 link for the chain. When I took it off and tried to connect the chain it was impossible to link it. Now that I have 18 whole miles on this chain, I think it has "stretched' a bit and perhaps I can take the 1/2 link off.
I should also read the tensioner thread to figure this problem out, thanks.

Another problem I have is with the flex pipe. There is no real way this is anchored except 2" of 2 stroke exhaust manifold and an all strap clamp. It came out today as I gave it a little gas to pass up a spandexer!.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Installed one of the mini-gen's from eBay, well actually I installed it 2 days ago but I might actually get to test it out this evening around dark. I purchased the 6-volt version and I have a front light with 2 bulbs each at about .25mA. I originally tried the light on the white wire but it pulled too much current through and killed the engine. It would work with only 1 bulb but I had to be riding around as the bike would die after a few seconds of idle.

toojung2die

Feb 10, 2011
Troy NC

I welded the broken tab that the bicycle chain guard attaches to. Vibration snapped it off. I replaced a couple of pop rivets on the same chain guard that were working loose due to vibration. Now I know the true meaning of a "shake down" ride. I'm on my second tube of Lok-Tite.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cool DarkHawk. Please post how it does.

LOL Skarrd. Ayup, think we all done that one.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I've been very busy, working nearly as hard on the bike as I do at work. Posted more details and pics in the "Scored a Higgins" thread under Board Trackers & Vintage. I haven't yet figured out how to post 'em twice in two different places on here. It already begins to look like how I pictured in my head. The ancient Higgins grows awesome.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ

I put a new chrome tank and aftermarket chrome muffler on my Landmark. The tank didn't make much difference that I can tell but the muffler is a lot quieter than the stock one and I think I picked up a couple of MPH.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

So frustrating. I just don't have a spare nano second to swap out my defunct springers and really need my MB. Not just because it was 60F here yesterday!!!!!! (60!!! snork) But need ability to get to some access roads to where the Floating Hotdog cart will be tied up the goof factor and mad scientist appearance help in breaking the ice with folks I am just meeting and is, no kidding part of my marketing strategy. Ah, I need a break and gonna just swap em out. Had to find out what failed to post here any way. Maybe they can be salvaged. That would be cool. Well, just figured out my morning.

I've been very busy, working nearly as hard on the bike as I do at work. Posted more details and pics in the "Scored a Higgins" thread under Board Trackers & Vintage. I haven't yet figured out how to post 'em twice in two different places on here. It already begins to look like how I pictured in my head. The ancient Higgins grows awesome.
Great Build Allen. http://motorbicycling.com/f38/scored-higgins-20966.html Is good to read your up and running again! Are you all healed up?
.flg.

Just a thunk as I never figured out how to post pics 2ce by renaming, I post on photobucket or some thing like that. Then can post link or pic.

Happy Saturday and more important Happy Spring an' ridding weather one and all!!