rtv on brake pads?

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
my brake pads are wearing too fast. im gonna get some better pads when i can afford it. in the meantime i thought of using permatex rtv red hi temp silicone on the part of the pad that touches the rim to possibly slow down wear? also thought it might improve grip being softer and all. thoughts?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am gonna get the kool stop pads when I can afford it, but thats not right now. do you think the cool stop pads will endure stopping a 280lb rider going 40+mph? Thats not what speed I currently go, but when I install my predator, it will be. of course I wont cruise at 40mph, just want to know if the kool stop pads can handle it. most likely cruise at 25-30, living in the city and all.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get disk brakes for a hot rod. Or at least that is my personal favorite way to go. Get a 203mm in the front and a size smaller in the rear.

Folks have reported good luck with drum brakes too. I don't personally put any of my faith in rim brakes

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
the kool stop pads are $10 a pair at my LBS. As soon as I have the money I am gonna pick some up. The guy at he shop said they will wear just as fast as regular brake pads, but I think he only said that to convince me to order extra. he recommended I order 3 pairs at a time, lol. I just hope they work good. Once I install my predator, I am gonna install a rear rim brake and also put cool stop pads on that. I wont need my clutch lever to clutch on the predator since I am using an automatic clutch, so I am going to use my clutch lever to turn my rear brake into a "parking brake" lol. that will give me 3 braes: coaster, front rim, and rear rim. I just can not afford a disc brake or drum hub right now.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
well, another member has the same bike as i do with a predator in it and has rear coaster and front caliper and says he has never had any issues with stopping. just because the bike will be able to go 40mph doesnt mean i have to drive that fast. my clutch will engage at 2200 rpm. at that rpm, i will only be going 19mph. i wont hit 40 till i get close to 5000 rpm. lot of rpm between 2200 and 5000, lot of mph between 19 and 40. as long as i drive at an appropriate speed for the street or road i am on and time my stops properly, i should be fine.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Isn't the predator like $150 not including everything you need to make it work in the first place? How exactly are you going to afford that if you can't even afford $10 brake shoes?

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
well, another member has the same bike as i do with a predator in it and has rear coaster and front caliper and says he has never had any issues with stopping. just because the bike will be able to go 40mph doesnt mean i have to drive that fast. my clutch will engage at 2200 rpm. at that rpm, i will only be going 19mph. i wont hit 40 till i get close to 5000 rpm. lot of rpm between 2200 and 5000, lot of mph between 19 and 40. as long as i drive at an appropriate speed for the street or road i am on and time my stops properly, i should be fine.
Whatever helps you sleep at night...

(A trip to the emergency room costs a lot more than a set of decent brakes)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i remember as a kid with no brakes on my ten-speed.
ground off the soles of my running shoes.
woulda been cheaper for my mom to buy me new brakes than new shoes.
i wouldnt consider having poor brakes on my gas powered bike.got lots of repair parts.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
really?
i am not one for picking on someone,but 10.00 doesent seem like a lot to most people.
you need brakes.we all need brakes.its a life or death thing.
i havent thought much lately about not having two cents to rub together.
i was there,mind you,on the edge of homeless many years ago.you happened to mention a motor kit you were buying,instead of brakes,thats the impression i got too.

there are a couple bike shops in the city that dismantle donated used bikes for parts.
they provide the less fortunate with transportation and parts to maintain them.
nothing like that exists in your area?
just a thought.

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
$10 may not seem like a lot to you, but when you're young and living in your first house and you're not working and your wife is collecting unemployment, you have to keep your priorities in order. Food takes precedence over bike parts. As it is, I need a new back tire. My brake pads are ok for the speeds I go right now. as soon as I have some extra money, i am gonna replace my pads with harder ones. I wont be able to afford to install the predator engine until I get a job. I had an interview at walmart on monday and i am wating to hear back from them. I dont care how anyone feels about walmart either. i shop there and i need a job. if they dont hire me im gonna apply at a thrift store where a buddy of mine is quitting. right now, i just dont have ten dollars. i dont know why it should be so hard to understand that.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
there was a bike shop like that where i used to live. the two closest shops to me are more high end and dont sell used parts. there is another shop about ten miles from me, but im not going there until i replace my rear tire. its worn through to the threads in some places. it had a thin wall to begin with, and its two years old. my wife gets an unemployment payment on the 2nd, and she knows i am not driving too many places till i get my tire replaced.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I do also have a coaster brake. i know most people think coaster brakes are not good enough for motorbikes, but in the event that my front brake should fail, its better than nothing.