How do you install a new piston?

GoldenMotor.com

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
I recently blew a piston ring and it destroyed my piston and jug. i have replacements but i don't know how to put the new piston in. can someone explain how or tell me where a thread is that can explain it? I'm sure this has been explained several times.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Pull the head and remove the jug. Remove the retaining clip from the upper rod pin in the piston. Remove the rod pin. Assemble in reverse order. OK I made that sound a littler easier than it is but that is pretty much it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Make sure you line up the anti rotation pin in the ring groove with the end gap of the ring.
Use some motor oil on the ring/piston when you replace it into the cylinder.
Use an extra set of hands to let the cylinder down onto the piston while you hold the ring in place unless you have a ring squeezer.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You don't need a ring compresser for these.
Also, make sure the piston is facing the right way! & take heed of what Joe said above about the little pins in the ring grooves!!!!! (you WILL break the rings if you don't!)

justthisguy1292

Jan 16, 2009
Massachusetts
I have the rings on the new piston. I took out what i think is a retaining pin or clip of some kind from the old piston but the rod inside won't come out. it slides around but does not completely come out. should i force it?