Broken Rear motor Mounts

GoldenMotor.com

Half Dead

Jan 23, 2013
Australia
I seem to be having nothing but trouble the last few days with this bike :-||

Earlier today while riding, the 2 rear studs sheared off at the engine, and following that, an unsuccessful attempt to remove the broken studs has left me with a broken piece of an Easy Out stuck in there as well :(

I'm not really sure where to go next, I had a look at the fix here:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35936

and have a similar idea of bolting a piece of angle iron into where he bolted his allen nuts and have it come down over where the old holes are, with enough clearance to have 2 bolts to act as the studs like in the picture (excuse the dodgy drawing skills lol).. Will this work at all? or is there a better way of doing it?

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
looks workable to me. Do a search here for broken mount repair. Lots of ways to deal with this problem.

Half Dead

Jan 23, 2013
Australia
Well I got around to doing this up today.
I did it more or less like my drawing, although I pulled it in tight against the engine.
I took some photos with my iPod touch, so they are a bit crap but just thought I'd show what I'd done.
I'll mount it back on my bike tomorrow and see how it goes lol..

I also had a problem with the exhaust, the bolt that holds the end cap on broke off (actually fell off while I was riding and gave me a flat tire :( )
I Welded it together with a couple of good tack welds so that's not gonna happen again lol.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Use a cut off wheel and make a perfect groove for a flat head screw driver. Then simply unscrew the broken studs from the case.

Option two...

Use a small punch and gently methodically break the easy out up and out of the bolt. You see the easy out is made of brittle steel. So in a nut shell it can be broken out with the right punch and hammer set approach.

Nver over tighten studs and never ever rubber mount this stuff. Needs to be absolutly solid every time...