1923 German engine for motorized bikes

GoldenMotor.com

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
hi guys,

just for fun (and a bit of history) since it's made out of pure un-obtanium, but here's some pics of a true gem: a 1923 four stroke clip-on engine made by Columbus-Horex Gnom, somewhere in Germany...

I find it impossibly cool

ciao!

Attachments

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Thanks for sharing this part of MAB heritage to all that have contributed so far. The best thing about the internet is how easily this type of info is disseminated.

This type of engine obviously had favor back in the day. It makes alot of sense in that the weight is about as low in the chassis as possible but inline to the dropouts which would arguably provide the best possible handling of any motor assist bicycle. It is important to be able to pedal efficiently and the narrow aspect of this type of motor allows for that. The biggest drawback that I can see is the amount of exposure it has to the elements that will be coming off the front wheel but that could be addressed as necessary.

Oh, and I have seen a modern version of this under development btw. It is being held in a pretty tight wrapper but just lets say it works, and wellxct2

Here it the Bugatti version.

bugattit722.jpg

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
Oh, and I have seen a modern version of this under development btw. It is being held in a pretty tight wrapper but just lets say it works, and wellxct2
I sure hope you'll post the info as soon as the cat is out! :)

Here it the Bugatti version.
oh yes!! it's even more amazing...

a 15,000 rpm, twin-cam, Roots SUPERCHARGED 10.6cc single built by Bugatti in 1947

some more info on that:

Bugatti
the Bugatti revue, 12-1, Bugatti T72 fact sheet and photos
Ettore Bugatti's cyclemotor

the piston diam is only 22mm, less than 1" !!!! :)

it must have been a damn screamer at full song

ciao & thanks!

diego

diegom

Nov 19, 2009
Cagliari, Italy