what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

That's nice work !!! Ya thanks for the idea . I might just do that - a short one up and down the alley. I've got stuuded tires but the studs don't seem to be long enough - I should make my own like ones that you showed here in this forum a long time ago.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

had my turkey dinner with the new horse...the ol lady didnt agree but i know how to get my way sometimes...plus it was like 90 degrees inside...enjoy

Attachments

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca

Boost ported and intake port mached the piston today. did it make a difference....not on my butt dyno but maybe it will show while under load? we shall see

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Worked on the intake manifold build but ran into one slight problem. I couldn't get the two bolt/stud holes to drill all of the way through. At first I though I dulled my bit so I switched out. Then I tried to drill the other one and got the same depth. Is it possible I hardened the steel that the flange is being made out of?

Attachments

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

Worked on the intake manifold build but ran into one slight problem. I couldn't get the two bolt/stud holes to drill all of the way through. At first I though I dulled my bit so I switched out. Then I tried to drill the other one and got the same depth. Is it possible I hardened the steel that the flange is being made out of?

use soap or some oil as a cutting fluid, whats your flange made out of?

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

As far as I know it is just a mild steel washer, just like the one next to the one I shaped already in the picture.
I've run into the same issue before, different application but same problem...use a nail or screw and hammer into the hole making a groove for the drill bit to catch and it should work...if not go smaller on the bit, then larger...if that doesn't work try calling superman to burn thru with his laser eyes...good luck sir

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Mooner is right about the drill speed if you have a variable speed drill press. If yer doing this with a hand drill I will pray for you.
If ya just do like I said, OIL, WOOD backing, START smaller then go bigger, IT WILL WORK, I PROMISE.
fatdaddy.
P.S. I bet if you look at the back side it has a slight bulge in it. Hence the wood backing for support. It is pushing hot metal and rounding out to the roundness of yer bit.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Loosened my flower nut just a quarter turn, and now my bike starts much easier and idles a lot smoother. Was having some issues with starting and idling as well as my killswitch not always killing my engine the first time I would flip it. Adjusting my flower nut resolved all three of these issues.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Mooner is right about the drill speed if you have a variable speed drill press. If yer doing this with a hand drill I will pray for you.
If ya just do like I said, OIL, WOOD backing, START smaller then go bigger, IT WILL WORK, I PROMISE.
fatdaddy.
P.S. I bet if you look at the back side it has a slight bulge in it. Hence the wood backing for support. It is pushing hot metal and rounding out to the roundness of yer bit.
FD thanks it worked like a charm.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

somebody tell me you are not gonna braze that copper pipe elbow onto the steel flange and use it on a motor...

it won't work for long.

the heat from brazing it, or the vibration of the motor, or both, will work harden it and it will crack at some in-opportune moment... could cook your motor, if not worse.

sry guys, I just dialed in, and saw this... had to put in my two cents to save you some grief.

Best
rc

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando

I broke my hand the other day riding my honda cr250. so today i switched the throttle lever to the left side of my bike and went for a ride. couldnt go to fast cause i only have one hand right now..but it was fun..like always!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

somebody tell me you are not gonna braze that copper pipe elbow onto the steel flange and use it on a motor...

it won't work for long.

the heat from brazing it, or the vibration of the motor, or both, will work harden it and it will crack at some in-opportune moment... could cook your motor, if not worse.

sry guys, I just dialed in, and saw this... had to put in my two cents to save you some grief.

Best
rc
I'm using Silver Solder and if I remember right the only way to work harden copper is pound on it or bend it. The heat used to Silver Solder it will anneal the copper if I'm not wrong.

How would you do this if you had to make an intake then?

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

I've run into the same issue before, different application but same problem...use a nail or screw and hammer into the hole making a groove for the drill bit to catch and it should work...if not go smaller on the bit, then larger...if that doesn't work try calling superman to burn thru with his laser eyes...good luck sir
Nails and screws will not work on metal , for wood, yes but for metal You need a center punch . You should not even have a drill without one. When drilling through steel, make a dent in the center of your hole with the punch. Then drill a much smaller hole first . This is called a pilot hole. You can even drill a second one, being a little larger. You do not need a drill press for that.

One more thing . This is very importent !! Use cutting fluid or threading oil, or you will burn that bit to nothing and will have to sharpen it.!!!
P.S. Center punches are very very common and u can get them at your local hardware.

It is obvious that you are a beginner cause you did not drill a pilot and you burned up your bit but thats okay . We all had to start somewhere, and you are doing a good job cause yopu are almost through.
Very Importent: WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES !!! All it takes is just one tiny little hot chip or kernal to screw you up real bad!!! I'm surprise that nobody here has told you this.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Loosened my flower nut just a quarter turn, and now my bike starts much easier and idles a lot smoother. Was having some issues with starting and idling as well as my killswitch not always killing my engine the first time I would flip it. Adjusting my flower nut resolved all three of these issues.
Hey Big, I don't see how loosening the nut would make yer engine start easier, one has nothing to do with the other UNLESS clutch was slipping, then TIGHTENING it would help, not the other way around. And the only way it would help the idle is if the clutch was not fully disengaging and dragging at the engine when the lever was in..
And then there's the kill switch. I'm just goin, HUH, WHAT THE---?????
NO WAY IN THE WORLD would adjusting the flower nut make yer kill switch work better. Think about everything you said, trace it in your head as to WHAT can ACTUALLY affect WHAT.
Not tryin to be an A**, but again, think hard about it. Taking the clutch adjustment OUT would not affect any of these things.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Hey Big, I don't see how loosening the nut would make yer engine start easier, one has nothing to do with the other UNLESS clutch was slipping, then TIGHTENING it would help, not the other way around. And the only way it would help the idle is if the clutch was not fully disengaging and dragging at the engine when the lever was in..
And then there's the kill switch. I'm just goin, HUH, WHAT THE---?????
NO WAY IN THE WORLD would adjusting the flower nut make yer kill switch work better. Think about everything you said, trace it in your head as to WHAT can ACTUALLY affect WHAT.
Not tryin to be an A**, but again, think hard about it. Taking the clutch adjustment OUT would not affect any of these things.
fatdaddy.
Ok, the clutch was too tight. It wasnt disengaging completely, and thats what was causing it to not idle correctly. Have you ever hit your killswitch with your clutch engaged? It doesn't shut off the engine. So the clutch not disengaging completely could definitely cause the killswitch to not work properly. Here is how I theorize that the clutch being too tight could cause starting issues. There are two springs that work the clutch, an outer spring behind the clutch plate and an inner spring inside the engine case. These springs push in opposite directions. when the outer spring is slack, the inner spring is tight. Too much tension on the outer spring will cause too much tension on the inner spring, causing some slipping. At least this is my theory. I do know that my clutch would slip a lot when I would try to start it, and it was worse the colder it got. When I went to adjust the flower nut, I locked the clutch lever in place and removed the cover. Before I adjusted the flower nut, I puhed on the clutch plate and it was tight up against the pads. It didnt budge a nano-millimeter. So if the clutch plate was right up against the pads, then it wasn't disengaging properly. Whether I am right about how the springs work or not (which I could be, I'm not 100% sure on that), my clutch was definitely too tight. One thing I do know is that previous to making the adjustment, my engine would jerk sometimes when I would go to start it, taking off for a second or two, then almost dying, and doing that a few times until the engine would warm up. My theory on that is that maybe a cold clutch can slip if its too tight. But after loosening the flower nut today, I went around the corner and dumped the clutch and she kicked like a mule and took off instantly. No jerking, no starting and stopping. Also, the last time I started it, I tested my theory about the killswitch by pulling the clutch lever clear in to the handlebars and flipping the killswitch, and the engine died instantly. This was before adjusting the flower nut. If I tried the killswitch with the clutch lever locked, I would always have to hit it twice. Now that the flower nut is properly adjusted, I only have to flip the zptswitch once. I can also hear the difference in the rpms at idle now. When the clutch was too tight, if I locked the clutch lever, the engine would sound too quiet, and when I pulled the lever all the way in, it would sound like normal. Now it sounds like a normal idle when I lock the clutch lever

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Ok, the clutch was too tight. It wasnt disengaging completely, and thats what was causing it to not idle correctly. Have you ever hit your killswitch with your clutch engaged? It doesn't shut off the engine. So the clutch not disengaging completely could definitely cause the killswitch to not work properly. Here is how I theorize that the clutch being too tight could cause starting issues. There are two springs that work the clutch, an outer spring behind the clutch plate and an inner spring inside the engine case. These springs push in opposite directions. when the outer spring is slack, the inner spring is tight. Too much tension on the outer spring will cause too much tension on the inner spring, causing some slipping. At least this is my theory. I do know that my clutch would slip a lot when I would try to start it, and it was worse the colder it got. When I went to adjust the flower nut, I locked the clutch lever in place and removed the cover. Before I adjusted the flower nut, I puhed on the clutch plate and it was tight up against the pads. It didnt budge a nano-millimeter. So if the clutch plate was right up against the pads, then it wasn't disengaging properly. Whether I am right about how the springs work or not (which I could be, I'm not 100% sure on that), my clutch was definitely too tight. One thing I do know is that previous to making the adjustment, my engine would jerk sometimes when I would go to start it, taking off for a second or two, then almost dying, and doing that a few times until the engine would warm up. My theory on that is that maybe a cold clutch can slip if its too tight. But after loosening the flower nut today, I went around the corner and dumped the clutch and she kicked like a mule and took off instantly. No jerking, no starting and stopping. Also, the last time I started it, I tested my theory about the killswitch by pulling the clutch lever clear in to the handlebars and flipping the killswitch, and the engine died instantly. This was before adjusting the flower nut. If I tried the killswitch with the clutch lever locked, I would always have to hit it twice. Now that the flower nut is properly adjusted, I only have to flip the zptswitch once. I can also hear the difference in the rpms at idle now. When the clutch was too tight, if I locked the clutch lever, the engine would sound too quiet, and when I pulled the lever all the way in, it would sound like normal. Now it sounds like a normal idle when I lock the clutch lever
If it worked for ya, it worked.
fatdaddy.