engine hardware question-first build

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Hello, I have a grubee 66cc kit. I noticed in many threads people having problems with air leaks on their engines causing the engine to not run right. When I pulled the engine out of the box I thought I should check how tight the hardware was. Most of the screws didn't seem tight enough so I cranked them down tighter. Also some seemed tighter than others. I was wondering if any of you guys replace all of the engine hardware with allen hex bolts and if tightening all of the hardware like I did was a good idea? I was hoping someone would have a list of the hardware so I could go buy them without having to take each bolt to the store and figure out threads by trial and error. I guess what I am getting at here is I am trying to make this thing as bullet proof as possible. Do you have any other ideas to make it as reliable as possible. I don't mind putting a lot of extra work into the build so that when I am done I can just ride without as many headaches as possible. Thank you guys in advance!.bld.

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
yes most of us replace the factory hardware out of the box it tends to bend and break if you look at Sick bike parts web site the have a motor hardware kit available for like 10 bux much easier then sourcing your own and cheaper too i spent 4 bux just replacing the rear motor mount studs with bolts.

Sick Bike Parts

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tad,
Welcome to the forum. There are ready made replacement hardware packs available, here's one:
Sick Bike Parts This kit is less expensive than buying the individual parts from a hardware store.

If you decide to go the Allen head cap screw route go for grade 5 or better still, grade 8 fasteners. Do Not use stainles steel. I'm sorry I don't have a list in front of me with all the sizes but most are 8mm and varying lengths. If your engine is not installed yet it's not a big deal to just take it to the store with you. You'll need to estimate the required length by having everything attached, i.e. engine mounts, intake manifold and exhaust pipe/muffler. I use Allen head cap screws for almost everything on the bike and engine. Good luck. Send us pictures of your completed build.
Tom

schwallyjdog

Feb 11, 2009
Bellevue Ohio
I had problems with my gas tank cracking at the welds so I put kreem tank liner in it and jb welded around the mounts. I just got a new one and did this to the new one before using it. I also have rubber gaskets between the tank and my mounts. Buy as many upgrades as possible from sick bike parts. Spark plug and wire. Head gasket. Fuel filter petcock ect. I needed to tighten all of my spokes after just a few miles so you may want to keep a close eye on those. Thread lock your bolts and nuts. Use anti sease on your plug and I use thorn resistant tubes. They are 3 times thicker and get road tires for a smooth ride. Get a good light if riding at night. Regular ones are hard to see far with. Especially if you are going fast. I just mounted a wheel generator light kit and have not tested it at night yet but it seems bright. Good luck with your build and keep the questions coming.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Thank you guys for the info. Sick bike parts is a great site. I plan on getting several parts there. Since I will be replacing all of the hardware do you think I should replace all of the gaskets too or could this create more problems. Also what is a kreem tank liner and where do you get it from? Thank you again..bld.

schwallyjdog

Feb 11, 2009
Bellevue Ohio
I got it from a motorcycle shop and it is kind of expensive. It is a liquid that turns hard and coats the inside of your tank like hard rubber. There is enough of it to do about ten tanks and all you need for a new tank is the white bottle. eBay has them sold seperatly. I put two to three coats on and it did fix my broken tank when it was cracked. I'm hoping to prevent any leaks in the new one too.