what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
I just won a Tanaka PF-3300 on Ebayfor $90.00.Woo Hoo. I will put that sucker on my Phat Cruiser and use the Mitsu clone for my wife's bike I am going to build for her.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I have a Yamaha tank like yours, along with the rest of the Yamaha. It came off a vintage enduro bike. The tank might be a challenge to mount since it requires channels on the frame. The rubber cushions at the front of the tank tunnel slide into the channels to hold the tank firm. The rear of the tank is held down with a rubber retainer. I have used large "O" rings on similar tanks. The tank holds 2.5 US gallaons. Is your tank clean, does it have a petcock?

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
It has slight rust. I will clean it out. The petcock is on it and turns freely.
I think I have the mounting figured out. The rear tang will accept a U-bolt from the frame easily, and I can use some pipe insulation or a pool noodle float to make it fit the frame. Then I am thinking about basically tying it down with a leather belt for a kind of vintage hot rod look. If that doesn't work, I found out that a good friend of mine is a talented welder tonight and is willing to teach me!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I once mounted that style tank by cutting two 2'' rings from a pipe of the correct size and welding them to a crossbar that in turn welded to the frame. Two rubber caps slipped onto the rings made it snug and secure just like a factory mount. The rear used a u-bolt like you describe.
I think this would work quite well for a bicycle mount. Sorry no pics as it was back in the early 80's and camera phones didn't exist yet.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I got my new fuel tank today...
It is a little larger than I thought it looked in the picture on ebay! lol
I think I will pull my tank off tomorrow and do a test fit before I spend too much time cleaning it up.
What do ya'll think?
Looks like the big tank is actually pretty fond of that smaller tank if you ask me...LOL!
laff

Seriously, I think that tank will look ok on there once it is in place, it's a big rascal but you should have a long distance runner with that one for sure.

Peace, Map

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I shortened the pipe, machined a new exhaust mounting bracket and clamp. The clamp came out so nice I machined new engine mount clamps to match the exhaust clamp. Went for a test ride, about 6 miles round trip to Wet Lands Park in Henderson, NV

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The reed block I ordered from JNMotors arrived today, so I had something to play with.

I pulled the carb and intake off the cruiser, checked how the block would sit and marked the fin above it for notching. Notched it out, and block sits flush, so fastened it on. The carb bowl was hanging up on the clutch cable guide/peg so I had to pull that. Having nothing that matched the size of it (dia. or threading) I ended up cutting the top off it, using the dremel disk to put a groove in the top and put it back into the hole in the case, snugged down with a screwdriver. Now the carb bowl clears, but there appears to be around a 1/16" difference between diameter of the end of the reed block and the inside diameter of the carb's mount. I have it tightened together but I'm going to have to find an O ring or do something else to make sure there's a good seal. Pretty sure it isn't sealing properly right now.

Pulled the intake off the carb and cleaned it up a bit, and since it was just loose enough to be sloppy I tightened the nut holding the choke lever assembly together.

Since I was tinkering with it, I pulled the exhaust off the other side of the jug. I replaced the studs and cleaned the surface up. Checked the flange of the exhaust. It looked pretty good, but when holding an 8" level against it with the light behind it there was a visible gap, it was slightly concave. Tried to bend the edges of the flange back a bit, and it's much closer to flat now. New gasket, new hardware on the new studs, and it's pretty solid.

Tightened everything up, and took it out for a test. It started, and runs but it's either screaming or slowly stalling out at idle. Once started it's happy with the choke half open, but has no power at wide open, so I'm going with 'air leak' as the main problem right now. I'm too chilled to keep tinkering with it today, it's right around freezing temp in the garage.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Took the chopper for a final run before the big paint job.
Going to pull it all down (now I've got it running just nicely), and have a good hard go at making it look nice.
After the butterfly comes out of the chrysalis, I can finally retire the cruiser that has served me so well for over 40,000km. Might mount a photo of it in the shed.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
drained fuel & packed it away - will be gone for next couple months and probably without reliable inet, so may not be on the board here for a while

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
So on my way to work todasy in 4° weather before wind chill i notice a serious vibration coming from the motor considering i just put a shot of gasin to make it home with no oil just what was left in the tank from a 32-1 ratio i figured id be fine so i feel the vibration and figure f it if it pops i just buy a new one and goose it to get home i get home stop the bike she idles like a dream vibration seems to stop when i pull in the clutch so i figure ill better try to tighten up my motor mounts that's when i noticed motor mounts GONE!!!! LOL

At first I laughed because I was doing about 30 mph without my motor even being bolted on to the bike. All that was holding it on was gravity, luck ,and one half a u bolt up front with only one nut left on it now they either vibrated off .
Or some one at work loosened them up "my my motor mount bolts" in which case they will have a 6'5" 280 lb very angry beast of a man chasing them down . If someone did do me dirty like that ..one of the other numb skulls just wont be able to not talk about it and I will find out !! I really hope they loosened up on they're own I really dislike hurting stupid people .

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A friend of mine had a similar experience, slightly different.
One day I noticed that he just seemed to disappear. I asked other friends and acquaintances that we both knew if they had heard from him.
No one had. Calls to his house went unanswered. No call backs or anything.
Finally We crossed paths about 2 months later.
Someone had removed 3 of the 4 total lug nuts on each wheel of his Porsche.
All **** broke loose when he was going about 85mph.
Needless to say the car was totaled. He was in the hospital for 5 days.
The police told him lay low and be scarce while the investigation was under way.
Everyone he knew was a possible suspect. The investigation was still under way during my encounter with him. It turned out it was a teenaged neighborhood punk playing a what he thought was a prank. The punk didn't even know who's car he had messed with. He just did it because he was bored.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I went riding last week and didnt realize that I neglected to tighten up the nuts on the front wheel.
I was doing 37mph at one point. Then I stopped because i had a "Funny feeling."
I checked the bike out and one of the wheel nuts was gone, and the other was almost off!
Only thing that kept it on was gravity and the fact that I didn't take any big bumps or sharp turns!
I can't believe I did that.
Lesson: NEVER MULTITASK!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I went riding last week and didnt realize that I neglected to tighten up the nuts on the front wheel.
I was doing 37mph at one point. Then I stopped because i had a "Funny feeling."
I checked the bike out and one of the wheel nuts was gone, and the other was almost off!
Only thing that kept it on was gravity and the fact that I didn't take any big bumps or sharp turns!
I can't believe I did that.
Lesson: NEVER MULTITASK!
Maybe consider buying a lotto ticket.

Dan.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
took it on it's first trip to work and back, co-workers were asking me where i got it and how much...

Still a bit tricky getting the darn thing to idle while it's cold and choke ON, but eh, it doesn't take long before the choke needs to be turned off.
My choke is never on for more than 30 seconds & that's only the first start of the morning you cant really idle with a choke because your basically letting no air in at all I only use my choke in the extreme winter cold weather & it's been that way with several different motors & carbs or "kits" if you will.

Not to mention it wont run past 30 seconds with the choke on. Also any adjustments made to a carb while the choke is on will have negative affects when the choke is off ,, in other words never adjust a choked carb it like putting a band aid on a chainsaw wound. It will do you no good

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I fixed the leaky drain plug.
New crush washer and teflon thread sealant. It'll never leak again. From now on I am going to suck the dirty oil out through the fill hole.
I made a vacuum system out of a juice pitcher and a 12 volt emergency air compressor that I converted to a vacuum pump.