New Cranny build underway!

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So for my first venture into the MB world, thought it would be best to start with a Cranbrooke frame.

Here's where I started:

Here's where I'm at:

(Missed a spot on the fork! Need more light in garage for painting! Easy fix with flat black)

I almost like it too much to add the motor! Love the super stream-lined look of no cables and the leather wrap for grips! But a screaming 2 stroker is just gonna be awesome on it!

So next up will be the 80cc motor, expansion chamber, custom in-frame tank, white 26" tires and a few other goodies. The tank will tank a bit. I plan on tearing down the motor as soon as it gets here to do some port and polish work on it and just to get a feel for the whole thing. It'll get the black and bronze treatment as well. Have a few other custom touches I plan on doing. Stay tuned!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Just ordered some 26x2.2 all whites off ebay. Should be here midweek next week. Will update with pics. Still deciding on power plant.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Got the new tires installed today and now waiting on the motor kit from pistonbikes.com. 66cc black race angle head.

Went to the local bike shop today to get a few spoke nipple replacements. First, they couldn't believe the size I needed. Then once I told them what I was building, they were totally confused! Got three nipples for free though!

As she sits waiting for kit and expansion pipe:

Still need to source/make a lay back seat post. Emailed Pirates to ask about their inventory, no answer. May call tomorrow. Better option would be to just get some 1" pipe and fab one up I guess. Would look better that than flat stock they use anyways.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Jet Black 66cc Race Angle is on it's way! Also made a lay back Home Depot Special seat post last night, as well as repacked all the wheel bearings. Got the rear wheel trued up as well. Getting closer!

Scored a Mesinger seat on ebay as well. Rigid but will look great with the build!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So I started the kit install last night. Needless to say the rag joint is giving me fits! Got the dust cap ground done (and almost lost an eye in the process...don't ask) and installed the joints 3x's with coaster brake rubbing (bent it as suggested) and misaligned. Stripped two of the crappy bolts/nuts. Going to pick up some grade 8 hardware tonight. The rear drive gear isn't dished, which I found strange. Next, I'm hoping clearance will be fine. Fingers crossed. Manic Mechanic hub is looking better every minute...

Tried to install Puch head to no avail. Head bolt holes are slightly too small. Need to pick up a proper drill bit.

Anyone have a solution to the handlebar mounted choke on the CNS carb? Hate the extra cable. I do have a RT carb from Dax on order...Best answer I could come up with! Also need shorten throttle cable. WAY too long. The rest are decent and manageable.

On a positive note, the new larger mount on this kit fits the Cranny down tube perfectly! My seat and SBP xchamber arrive today. Hopefully, this evening goes a bit smoother than last.

Pics up tonight.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
oh my i am excited to see this as it progresses. sounds like you're having all sorts of fun like i have so far with my cran. i just flipped my bars yesterday... 10x better looking, for sure. also just ordered a set-back seat post and an old-school leather saddle. flat-black is the way to go!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
This build has turned into quite the hassle! Puch head isn't a straight replacement. The rag joint sucks big time! The SBP xchamber kicked my butt when it came to routing it. Doesn't play nice with the cranbrook. The front brake kit that most people sell didn't reach the front rim. It's now on the rear and helps some. Then to top it off, 30 min until being complete and ready for first start up, my dumbass knocked out the wrong links of chain, rendering it too short and useless!

But have I learned and had tons of fun so far? Absolutely!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
A few progress pics:

On my "stand." Ya. It's a keyboard stand...

My wife checking out the stance...

All the cables are routed and neatened up. NGK plug and wire have been installed. Waiting on an RT carb from Dax. Still need to sort the Puch head and head bolts out. Looks like I'll need to use some threaded rod. Headed to Tractor Supply 45 min. away on Monday for a #41 chain to replace my dumb mistake. Then, I'll order up my Bell Custom 500 helmet and let it rip!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It's up an running! Still need to adjust the clutch. When pulled it isn't disengaging all the way which you can here in the little vid I did. First ride and I lost the tensioner wheel which caused some slight rubbing on the rear tire. Turned out to be a good thing as I then took the time to mill a skate wheel. SO MUCH SMOOTHER! I also have some tuning to do. Runs pretty good, though. Took it for a mile trip to a town center nearby. People had no idea what the heck the thing was! So good! Need to pick up a different helmet as well. The full face MX helmet just doesn't seem to fit the style of the bike! At least it's all black! Ha!

The Puch head install is next. Tried to locate some M8 threaded rod yesterday to make up some new head bolts, but struck out. I have one stock acorn that's being a bit stubborn and doesn't want to come the bolt. So instead of risking a bad seal, I threw the stock back on.

Regardless of the cursing, smashed fingers, cuts, burns, and head scratching, what a perfect way to set off the first day of summer! I don't want to get off the thing! It's just too much fun!

YouTube - ‪The Scuffed Huffy‬‏

Caddy429

Jun 16, 2011
Cleveland
your build looks phenomenal, im looking for a bike to start out my project im waiting for my motor from dax to get here. how did you do the lay back seat?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
You picked the right vendor for a motor! He's a bit more harsh on the wallet, but he stands behind what he sells and knows the kits he sends out. I made the seat post out of some parts I sourced through good ol' Home Depot. I have a Mesinger saddle that I scored on ebay, but it doesn't sit down low enough in the front because of the way it's covered.

timmiedisc

Jun 21, 2011
Michigan
I have to say this is one of the cleanest bikes I have seen. Looks absolutely amazing. I am about to start on my first build and looking at you bike has given me a lot of inspiration. The one thing that I have been trying to figure out is the lay back seatpost. I knew there must be some ways to make my own and I have seen where people cut off a part of an old handlebar but I was looking for something simpler. Could you post a pick up close on how you built yours. I have been trying to search for something but have had no luck. From a distance it looks like it is just black gas line with an elbow but I wanted to be possitve before I went that route.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I've always like the look of these kind of motor bikes. reminds me a lot of the old Indians and that era of motorcycles. I've got one question though: How comfortable is the ride? I'd think it would feel funny sitting back like that with the lowered/inverted handlebars.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Thanks everyone! MY new RT carb should be here today! Need to do some more work on xchamber as well.

timmiedisc-You hit the nail on the head with the seat post. I used a coupler from the electrical conduit section to thread on the bottom. It's a tight fit and I had to do some massaging of the seat tube and coupler for it to fit. I'll take some pics tonight.

benutne-the seat laid back is actually a lot more comfortable for me. My legs are in a better position and a bit more stretched out vs being directly above. Sitting up all straight with big ol' bars and my arms spread 5ft wide just isn't my thing. Future plans even include triple tree forks and clip-ons. Then we'd be down nice and low!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Got the new Dax RT carb installed today. WHOA! Little guy rips! Like a completely different bike! I threw everything at trying to get the CNS to run right to no avail. The RT carb in stock tune just blew it away! No more mid-throttle bog or 4 stroking period. Hands down the best $30 I've spent.

Here's a few pics of the "darker, unseen" side of my bike. Should help give and idea as to how I made the post. Would love to show pics of the bottom part of the post, but it ain't coming out! I used a coupler from the electrical aisle of Home Depot that was added to the pipe from the plumbing section. If I get back there, I'll take pics of the parts used. But that should help everyone get on their way.