Goodbye from Florida

GoldenMotor.com

PatNoPed

Jun 22, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
I thought that this bicycle engine craze was going to be the perfect solution for me. I have pedaled thousands of sweaty miles on my trek road bike (human powered). To be able to throttle my bicycle all the way to my destination and arive still freshly showered was a dream come true...rotfl
Twenty miles into my first ride, the little plastic chain tensioner wheel bails, chain wraps into the rear wheel and locks me up hard. Had I been in traffic, I woulda been messed up but luckily I'm just bummed out and my bicycle is a mangled metal mess. The links on the chain were twisted and it was junk. My mechanic picked me up and put together a new chain for me. I was able to ride it home from his shop that day. Excited with new parts I head out the next day. Engine is sluggish, stalling out left and right, idle screw does nothing, choke does nothing and I'm peddaling!?! Limp back to the shop and we discover a blown intake gasket AND a freshly missing idle screw. A new gasket is made from proper material and a replacement idle screw adjusted. It ran great, idled smooth, and I rode it home again, happy. The next day (today) I try again and a jackhammer type noise starts creeping into my head. I pull over to try to figure out what the **** is making such a racket and I discover that the actual engine casting has cracked where the front engine mount bolts screw into the engine. Not only did it crack but it cracked in half and broke off! The bolt had nothing to hold onto so it jumped ship too. The noise I was hearing was the engine jackhammering my frame. It was barely holdin on to my bicycle! I don't know how I made it home without the entire engine falling off but I did. I can't ride it anywhere now. To add insult to this already expensive injury the infamous "leaky gas cap" has stained and ruined my sun cruiser paint job. I'm glad I took the time to try to make it look nice. So what's next??? I can't rely on this to get me anywhere, ESPECIALLY school or a job (the main 2 reasons I got into this hobby). If I don't totally break down I'll be filty with grease and covered in leaky gas by the time I get there. I'd rather sweat and pedal! My bicycle engine honeymoon is over and the big question for me has been answered. Reliable transportation? No. All my parts and enthusiasm I left on the side of A1A. Feel free to use them for your own bicycle and ego repairs. Good luck to all of you, hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.
Patrick

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I threw the chain tensioner through the rear wheel as well. Piece of crap that it is ruined the wheel but fortunately not the motor. It and the clutch handle are the two worst parts of the kit in my opinion such as it is.

I suppose this hobby is not for everyone. In my case I replaced the rear wheel, moved the tensioner to the bicycle chain and lived more or less happy ever since. I have always had chain issues but mostly it was my own fault.

But good luck in your future projects whatever they are. If I were you I wouldn't give up on the motor bike. think friction drive. They are pretty simple.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Have you considered a 4 stroke? I hear they are a little easier to mount and maintain...........................

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's one of the worst horror stories I've heard about one of these bicycle motor kits!

The worst problem I've ever had was running out of gas because I was so into the ride.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Stuff - happens with that silly chain tensioner. I'll bet your initial crash (glad you are OK!!) caused the crack and the downhill slide from there. Good to see you kept your sense of humor - if I was in the area I'd be collecting the parts.

To tell you the truth my love has been fast, like my magnetic attraction to the most beautiful Chinese girl, but my trust? Well the trust has been very slow to develop. 6 months! These things can't be rushed I guess.

The last thing is - well the last 3 months of my love life have been about eliminating the chain and rear sprocket for the exact reasons you post…...

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i hope you decide to fix it. the 2 strokes are a constant maintnence at least it was for me but i enjoyed working on it. i have a 4 stroke now and so far no maintnence. just fun riding around the island

PatNoPed

Jun 22, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
I purchased the engine through my mechanic and they have been beyond wonderful with all of my repairs (no cost). I have not crashed, or gone off road. Everything that has happened has been due to cheap chinese parts breaking off. I'm frustrated because this repair to me looks like I'll be waiting for a new engine to show up which means ANOTHER break in period. BREAKING, PERIOD is more like it. I'm leaving for school in 2 weeks and this was supposed to be my get around. I've been lucky to have a repair shop with spare parts close by. I can't afford to be standing on the side of some highway covered in gear oil, late for class because of some stupid part. I have no time and no money left to explore other options because it all went into this project. I'm broke and out of time.

beaker

Jun 14, 2008
I think you should look into a rack mount with a name brand engine and high quality parts. Even if it is 2 or 3 times the price of a cheapy motor kit, you'll save that in 2-3 months riding it instead of a car.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
your issues are nothing new and could have been prevented with a better build by reading up on the forums. Its too bad you learned the hard way. The kits, as they stand, aren't perfect and need some tweaks before installation.

I'm going to start a new thread and post newbiew build info.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the giving up thing is kinda like joe friday said about bad cops on dragnet... (Im sure not too many of you remember that) he said. "The problem with cops is we have to recruit from the human race."

Same with our hobby we will see all kinds come and go through our doors.

ONYX

May 5, 2008
man thats some ****ty luck =/ my friend had the same problem with his 2-stroke

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I wish I had found these forums before me bro and I built his motor bike
I am glad I found these forums before I built my motor bike
I am going to try and get some video of my install process, since I'm a nublet and this will be my first time being 'lead installer', maybe it will be helpful for the other nublets that come and visit here

PatNoPed

Jun 22, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
Hello again from florida

Hey everyone, I'm back on the road. Here's what happened. The motor mount bolts were too short and the vibration caused the crack on the engine. Not much broke and there was still plenty of thread left so we put some longer bolts into it (w/ loctite) and it's running great again. I'm still going to read thru the beginer build posts and make a checklist because everytime I leave it seems something shakes loose. Lost my red blinker....rats. Thanks for the links and the tips everyone. I couldn't really give up on the thing, it's paid off afterall. I do wanna go faster tho. I'm topping out at 30mph... when everything is torqued down lol. Is that jackshaft kit almost ready? I'm interested...
Patrick

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Its not as easy to give up as it is to say I give up.

I have kicked walls. Threatened to sell my bike, cursed more times than I would like to admit. considered walking away from the bikes and never trying anything like it again. Then I take a shower, wash the grease from my hair, have a drink and think "OH ****, I know what i did wrong now." then its back to the shop and try again.

Such is the life of a fat motor bicycle junkie