What kind of bike is this????

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I bought it about 5 years ago at a second hand store and only rode it a coupe of times....It has no markings of what kind of bike it is....down by the back sprocket on the frame there is a serial # of some sort....
It is a very old bike and I was thinking about putting a springer fork on the front and put a heavy duty rim on the back and then mount a motor....What can I use to get the rust off the chrome????
p.s the basket was put on by one of my kids from an old huffy bike....That will be gone....
John-John

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dunno John-John. Funky lookin'. Gona make a cool MB. Springers will really add to the looks.

I, in a pinch have used grease to polish chrome. Worked better then Brasso and was easier. Took all the surface rust right off with very lil work.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I bought it about 5 years ago at a second hand store and only rode it a coupe of times....It has no markings of what kind of bike it is....down by the back sprocket on the frame there is a serial # of some sort....
It is a very old bike and I was thinking about putting a springer fork on the front and put a heavy duty rim on the back and then mount a motor....What can I use to get the rust off the chrome????
p.s the basket was put on by one of my kids from an old huffy bike....That will be gone....
John-John
I've NO idea what kinda bike that is ....but it IS awesome !....I think it would make a cool build!
As far as removing rust from chrome I'd not bother....just strip it and paint or have it re-chromed.....

Laters,
Salty.shft.

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
- that's a nice bike . Go to true value hardware and buy a small can of Oxallic Acid ( Wood Bleach ) . It comes in crystals . Use a giant container or barrel ( plastic will be fine ) big enough to emerge the frame . Fill the container with water add the OA ( about half of the contents will do ) . Leave it over night ( 6-12 HOURS or longer depending on condition of parts ) , come back the next day . Rinse the frame and parts with water , then immediately spray WD-40 on them and wipe down . You can use Mother's or the like to complete the Job with a good polish . I built a lot of os BMX bikes last year and it really helped that hobby tremendously . It made me never look at rusty bike and think " what's the point " .. Be carefull , wear gloves , it is acid . Way Way better than steel wool or any other abrasives . I hope this helps . again very cool bike !

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Thanks for the great respones....I think it looks cool to and you guys have now convinced me to build it into a MB....I have 2 new Raw motor kits coming in the mail this week and will have to order a springer fork and a 2.125 12 gauge spoke rim for the rear and start the build....
Is there another way to get the rust off other than having to dip it in a 55 gallon drum????I dont have one laying around....
When I bought the bike it had next to no rust on the chrome frame,but it ended up in the back yard with a bunch of other bikes for a # of years....
Dan,send me a link to were I can buy the bent seat post like you have on your bike.... Thanks
John-John.shft.

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
Thanks for the great respones....I think it looks cool to and you guys have now convinced me to build it into a MB....I have 2 new Raw motor kits coming in the mail this week and will have to order a springer fork and a 2.125 12 gauge spoke rim for the rear and start the build....
Is there another way to get the rust off other than having to dip it in a 55 gallon drum????I dont have one laying around....
When I bought the bike it had next to no rust on the chrome frame,but it ended up in the back yard with a bunch of other bikes for a # of years....
Dan,send me a link to were I can buy the bent seat post like you have on your bike.... Thanks
John-John.shft.
I bought one of those rubber maid containers at wal-mart for $10 ( the biggest I could fine. I dipped a 26 " frame in there . I had to submerge one side and then the other and it worked fine . It came out nice .

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tom (2 Door) made that bent seat post out of a solid piece. Thing is awesome! Really, really makes for a better ride. I can not recommend them enough. The only other place I know for sure that has them is Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Seat Posts

Truly, well worth the $. I wan't to make one with some sort of spring.

The acid wash idea sounds cool Trey. Have any pics of a bike after doing that?

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
With those top tubes the way they are its just begging for a in frame gas tank, the slope is perfect too for draining it. Would a drill with a wire wheel remove the rust without taking the chrome with it?...whats up with the rear dropout on the right side it looks different? I dont see an axle nut, might just be me.

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
Tom (2 Door) made that bent seat post out of a solid piece. Thing is awesome! Really, really makes for a better ride. I can not recommend them enough. The only other place I know for sure that has them is Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Seat Posts

Truly, well worth the $. I wan't to make one with some sort of spring.

The acid wash idea sounds cool Trey. Have any pics of a bike after doing that?
Look on the bay too for layback seat post or laid back seat post under BMX , while some are super collectible and expensive others are not . Here's a pic of a bike I did after dipping in OA - I really wish , I had the before pics .

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
. Would a drill with a wire wheel remove the rust without taking the chrome with it?.
Unfortunately you would sacrifice the chrome quite a bit . The thing with the Oxallic Acid if that it doesn't require anything abrasive , if the rust is really thick and hated you may need to use a toothbrush to scrub a bit while it's in the bath .

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
very cool Trey, thanks. Looks perfect
I forgot to mention that the OA does not destroy your decals on your frame either . It really is a wonder product if you are restoring vintage bikes . sorry I'll be quiet about it now . LOL

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
With those top tubes the way they are its just begging for a in frame gas tank, the slope is perfect too for draining it. Would a drill with a wire wheel remove the rust without taking the chrome with it?...whats up with the rear dropout on the right side it looks different? I dont see an axle nut, might just be me.
Its just a fuzzy pic the axle nut is there....
Here is a close up pic of it.....I wish I could weld,I would love to have a inframe tank....

Attachments

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
This is what I will have to put into the bike to have it ready for a engine kit....
40.00 heavy duty 2.125 12 gauge spoke rim for rear with coaster break(factory rim is wasted)
50.00 for tires and tubes
49.00 for chrome springer fork
25.00 for chrome remover and wal-mart rubber tank to put the remover in
40.00 for chrome double hanger fenders
10.00 for new chain
-------
224.00 total
Thats now including all the bells and wistles,such as speeomoter,headlight,tail light,bent seat post,etc....
Its a very cool looking bike,but would you put that kind of money into it????I know it will be nice when im done,but undecided after looking at all the stuff I need to buy....
John-John

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I forgot to mention that the OA does not destroy your decals on your frame either . It really is a wonder product if you are restoring vintage bikes . sorry I'll be quiet about it now . LOL
No! that is great to know and thanks for sharing. I have at least 6 bikes in need of just that

John-John, was thinking the same thing as Bandito. Would be awesome to have an in frame tank. Could make a cardboard one and buy a piece of aluminum plate. Bring it to a welder shop. Ride an MB there. I find folks like welders and machinists get almost as excited as me about these things and come up with awesome ideas and thoughts. That and the seem to really enjoy taking part in our crazy and charge very lil as they are having fun with it. Could put a site glass on the side using a pet cock and an "L" shaped fitting. A brass candy can shaped tube as a vent .....

LOL, I need help. Sat here all day and window shopped, wish listed about 2K$. (I wanna do exactly what I just said for a Point beach build)

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is what I will have to put into the bike to have it ready for a engine kit....
40.00 heavy duty 2.125 12 gauge spoke rim for rear with coaster break(factory rim is wasted)
10.00 for new chain
-------
224.00 total
Thats now including all the bells and wistles,such as speeomoter,headlight,tail light,bent seat post,etc....
Its a very cool looking bike,but would you put that kind of money into it????I know it will be nice when im done,but undecided after looking at all the stuff I need to buy....
John-John
Dunno John-John. Yesterday I had decided to focus on making just one awesome MB. Today, I saw at least 3 concepts here I want to build. Is a sad yet so very fun addiction. So, I really dunno if it would be worth it to you. Could build it with the thought of selling. I have never had much luck with that though. Not that they don't sell, they do. More just the fact that a monkey can't sell bananas.

on a MP 2009 Felt MP

And came up with a way to not use a GB on a 4 banger, LOL!

forgive the rambling. Just sayin' it is kinda like asking the drunk on the next barstool if we drink to much.

So I vote; Build it!

(and of course, strongly advise you to completely ignore any and all of my advise)

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Dunno John-John. Yesterday I had decided to focus on making just one awesome MB. Today, I saw at least 3 concepts here I want to build. Is a sad yet so very fun addiction. So, I really dunno if it would be worth it to you. Could build it with the thought of selling. I have never had much luck with that though. Not that they don't sell, they do. More just the fact that a monkey can't sell bananas.

on a MP 2009 Felt MP

And came up with a way to not use a GB on a 4 banger, LOL!

forgive the rambling. Just sayin' it is kinda like asking the drunk on the next barstool if we drink to much.

So I vote; Build it!

(and of course, strongly advise you to completely ignore any and all of my advise)
Im going to have to think this over....I l love the felt MP cruiser,been wanting one of those for a long time....If I build this bike I will not sell it unless I was offered alot....I want to have 2 bikes at all times so I have a back up incase one breaks down....
John-John

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
10.00 for new chain
-------
224.00 total
John-John

Yes John I'd do it......you'll have a *one-off* bike that no one else on the planet will have....$224.00.....alot of people spend WAY more'n that.....your bike will be unique.....and you will be answering questions about until you die......PRICELESS !

Laters,
Salty.shft.