The Land of Entrapment

GoldenMotor.com

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Hello all,

I hail from Albuquerque, NM. The beautiful land of entrapment...err...enchantment. I have never built one before, but am looking forward to this. In fact I am really excited about building a motor bike. Donor bike is a 26" Roadmaster MTN SPRT SX (10 speed) that I bought 2 years ago, and subsequently trashed. The gear selecter is/was twist on handlebar grip. It no longer selects, it kinda just spins. Anyway, rather than fixing it, I am just going to replace the sprockets on the bike and shorten the chain (turn it into a single speed). Also, I need a new wheel, rear wheel is pretty much destroyed. Of course I need new tires, and new brakes but that is standard. I figured if I was gonna do all this work, then I might as well install a motor. I found a Grubee Starfire gt-2 48 cc from gasbike . net. I haven't bought it yet, so if anyone has a similar motor kit in mind, let me know, lol. Just keep in mind I have to keep it under 50 cc.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
welcome to the forum. i have the 48cc dualstart starfire gt-2 grubee from gasbike.net
and i am happy with the motor,it runs good and strong. its funny that you mentioned what bike you have. i have a roadmaster sx sport 18-speed mountainbike. i got it used for $20. it was a very tight fit. i was going to put it on a 20" electric bike but it wouldnt fit so i had to find anything i could find,which was the roadmaster,i wish i found a diffrent bike instead.plus with my dualstart i had to change my peddals with short crank peddals from a columbia exercise bike which took me a while to hunt down. i have my gastank on a rear rack and a hose that goes from my carb to a airbox with filter. i dont use my bike gears(just one) or the rear brakes.
on the roadmaster the wheels are hard to align straight plus no locking slots on front.
i too might shorten my bike chain and take off the gear changer so i can straighten my back wheel. to align my front wheel i'll have to do it by guessing.

Last edited:

MatCauthon137

May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
welcome to the forum. i have the 48cc dualstart starfire gt-2 grubee from gasbike . net
and i am happy with the motor,it runs good and strong. its funny that you mentioned what bike you have. i have a roadmaster sx sport 18-speed mountainbike. i got it used for $20. it was a very tight fit. i was going to put it on a 20" electric bike but it wouldnt fit so i had to find anything i could find,which was the roadmaster,i wish i found a diffrent bike instead.plus with my dualstart i had to change my peddals with short crank peddals from a columbia exercise bike which took me a while to hunt down. i have my gastank on a rear rack and a hose that goes from my carb to a airbox with filter. i dont use my bike gears(just one) or the rear brakes.
on the roadmaster the wheels are hard to align straight plus no locking slots on front.
i too might shorten my bike chain and take off the gear changer so i can straighten my back wheel. to align my front wheel i'll have to do it by guessing.
now that i look at it, it is an 18 speed. I coulda sworn it was a 10...oh well...anyway, can you send a pic of yours? I would like to get an idea of the size and fit of the motor. If all else fails, I have my sister-in-laws bike here i can prolly talk her out of. it's a panasonic mc 4500 and it has alot more clearance than my roadmaster, plus the bottom bar is smaller and round like a tube where as my roadmaster is more like a flattened bar, much wider. :-||

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have changed many a crankset from a 20" kids bike for the shorter pedal throw. In a single speed I like a full sized chain ring on a short crank set. Well if it is going to be motorized. The gears are pretty much a waste on a motor bike unless you are going with pablo's jack shaft kit. That's another story altogether.

Anyway welcome and the conversion to a one speed is no more than tossing the derailleur and putting the chain onto a couple of the sprockets. You don't really have to change the wheel or anything. Just choose two sprockets (front and rear) that line up. Do you need new brakes or just the pads. I bought ten pads for like five bucks on ebay.

Anyway welcome aboard glad to have you here..

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Ha, definitely a WOT fan. WOT all the way, lol. My brother even actually named his son Perrin.
Cool. I started re-reading the WHOLE series and I'm in the GREAT HUNT. First time since 2002 or something. I forgot a lot of details, but I want to be ready for the final book. Bummer about Jordan, that's for sure.

Last edited: