my journey begins and never ends

GoldenMotor.com

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
my journey begins (electra townie balloon 7D)

I am buying a cruiser style bike to motorize, I still need to go down to the local shop that has the one I want and measure the space in the frame. if it looks big enough I will take it. my employer provides a yearly health and wellness budget, so they will reimburse the pre tax price. freeing up my money for the engine and eventual mods.

the bike is a norco santiago, aluminum frame 7 speed.

I have read to strongly reinforce the fenders and watch/maintain closely. and watch the aluminum frame for cracking, especially if I want to bury the cables. and locktite everything.

there is a local guy selling a ZB 80 jet 80cc that of course is a 66cc kit
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/for/5076634896.html
otherwise there's a canadian supplier of grubbee skyhawk gt5a, same price with free shipping. i think the american suppliers will tally up higher due to exchange rate and shipping/customs etc...
besides my mods will all be from southern suppliers.

I will probably use exhaust wrap tape on my first muffler, I have read mixed reviews on using any kind of rubber for the mounts.

future mods probably; disc brakes with single lever for front and back, engine mods (internal and external), jackshaft kit and probably a better seat. maybe a front suspension, springer or shock depending what fits.

so hoping to get the bike tomorrow, motor maybe too, if i go local. but riding and work will have to wait until my back recovers from a recent strain.

anyways i will be happy for any suggestions, tips and so forth.

thanks
santiago.JPG

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hard to tell from a pic, but I doubt you'll get a motor in there with that low bar where the head & carb should be - be sure to put a carb on the motor before seeing if it fits

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
ya crassius I think your right , but I'll go check it out anyways because I really like the style.

I don't have the engine yet, I was going to go by suggested requirement of a six inch flat line across the V of the frame and then 11 1/2" above that. also the skyhawk gt5a dimensions are supposedly 9 1/4" x 8 3/4x5" x 5 1/2". if its close I will leave it, I know I'm already going to have noobie struggles with the simplest set up.

my next choice for bike would probably be the 7 speed electra. I know the crank forward designs adds a little challenge, but I like the flat foot design. I'm heading out soon to check it out.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
never measured in inches, but be sure those measurements include the carb

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Ya JoeMetro this will be interesting I'm sure. I need to be patient and do things as right as possible the first time.

crassius the frame space was too small. So I checked out a few others. Some phat tire bikes, but they look like the rolling resistance would consume most of the engines power. and I still prefer the posture of the cruisers.

sat on the townie 7d reg and tall versions, and the balloon tire version. I like it, the design is a little mundane but I really like the sitting position. so its has irregular size tubes and has the forward crank. I have seen the video of the two stroke install involving both these extras, and have seen quite a few photos of elecra's motorized. So I'm still tempted and that's where I'm leaning.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I have an opinion (which is not shared by all here) that anything that makes a bicycle expensive, makes a motorized bike less good - I want heavy, fat frames, heavy wheels and a comfortable seat position, that may make pedaling harder, but make riding for hours easier. Bicycle frames were not designed with motors in mind, so look for one that resembles a motorcycle.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
crassius for me seat posture is very important as well. that is the main attraction of the townie frame style. not very good for vigorous cycling, but very comfortable for cruising. it is pricey for a first project bike, but being reimbursed takes the sting out of that. it is aluminum and has the cables hidden, so i would have to watch that.

still looking around at options though

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hard to tell from pic, but do those wheels have only 32 spokes? if not 36 spokes, you'll have trouble getting the rear sprocket on straight

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I got your message while I was in the store comparing the 7D to the balloon version. Plain 7D is 32. Balloon version was 36 spokes.

So I bought the balloon version. I will pick it up tomorrow after their presale inspection.
I will contact the engine guy again tomorrow as well.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Mac, are you buying the kit from zoom or from a guy on craigslist? If you know the guy that is one thing but I'd be more comfortable going with zoom. You'd have a storefront to go back to if anything goes bad, whereas some random guy can easily ignore any problems. Can this guy back up a guarantee?

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Chaz I was unaware that we had local retailers selling engine kits here, it never came up in my searches. so thanks for the tip, I will probably go with zoom. I will check out their site now.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
I guess they just post on craigslist. Funny they don't identify themselves as a retailer. Maybe to allow them to post in the owner's section. Anyway it looks like you'll get the same kit.

Where in vancouver are you located? I'm in the marpole area and Legwon is in coquitlam.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
I recently moved into the austin heights area, near blue mountain and foster.

are you aware of any other local retailers for parts? I'm going to need a jnm super mount, and getting it from the south is almost 4 times the sticker price before conversion. but I doubt I have options.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
That post on Craiglist IS the Zoom store. its the only one in BC.
if your close enough, just go pick one up. $180.
the address listed is correct.

edit:
sorry just seen ur location.. ur literally around the corner from me ... lmao
im @ lougheed & schoolhouse

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Cool you guys are so close. Mac, as far as rubber mounting goes it might not be the best idea. If these mounts are hard enough rubber to keep the motor from moving in the frame then they kind of defeat their own purpose. If you do a search in this forum for rubber mounting you will find that the general opinion of the most experienced of builders mount directly to the frame.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
Ya thanks Legwon, I will probably go by tomorrow. although there is no rush until I get the super mount.

do you know of any other retailers for parts?

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver
thanks Chaz, it's a very comfortable bike and I like the flat black look. I'm looking forward to getting better and going for a ride. thanks for the info on rubber mounts, I only picked that up on a youtube video showing an install. I will have to research alternative mount options for the pedal forward frame design.