Warning to those port matching intakes

GoldenMotor.com

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
My 50 mile ride turned into a Epic Fail today. Half way there I was kicked in the nuts hard....bad part was I left the spare at home...

How many of you has this happened to? Looks like the result of thinning the metal out, heat and high vibration. I need a bracket to hold the intake/carb stable. Im gonna figure out how I can rig something to brace them off and keep the vibrations down. It should also control the foaming of the fuel in the float bowl some.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I would get one of the steel ones. The diameter of the tube is larger and they are much stronger even after matching the intake port.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
I would get one of the steel ones. The diameter of the tube is larger and they are much stronger even after matching the intake port.
Ive been looking for one but cant find a supplier....Ive got my spare on and even made a weak attempt at bracing the carb a little but i dont think its gonna help.

Maybe itll help, but probally wont. Im gonna keep trying different things though. Im thinking change the bend where i can drill a hole and run the float bowl bolt through it to.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
A stiffer bracket may help. Is your spare ground on as well?

The regular engine suppliers should have the steels ones, no:confused:

I used to think the cast pups were the HiPo units....until I found out they are actually smaller ID. Now I guess here's another reason....

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I was trying to decide whether to port the aluminum intake, or the chromed steel. I noticed the steel seems bigger, and I figured it would hold up better. If you're going to port the aluminum version, it might be a good idea to have the outside of it welded up to add some extra material to compensate for what you're taking out.

Sorry to hear that happened on a ride.

Honestly I'm not sure how much a bracket is going to help. I think if you thin the material out too much, it will fail no matter what.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
I was trying to decide whether to port the aluminum intake, or the chromed steel. I noticed the steel seems bigger, and I figured it would hold up better. If you're going to port the aluminum version, it might be a good idea to have the outside of it welded up to add some extra material to compensate for what you're taking out.

Sorry to hear that happened on a ride.

Honestly I'm not sure how much a bracket is going to help. I think if you thin the material out too much, it will fail no matter what.
The new intake wasnt ported, I just put it on. It was a spare i had. To bad I didnt have it with me on my ride, but ill wait till I find a better chrome one before attemting to port again.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
A stiffer bracket may help. Is your spare ground on as well?

The regular engine suppliers should have the steels ones, no:confused:

I used to think the cast pups were the HiPo units....until I found out they are actually smaller ID. Now I guess here's another reason....
No my spare is completely normal aluminum cast. I pieced the broken one back together so you guys can see the extent of my porting. The only thing i can think of is a crack began at the top and worked its way around the seam...

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
The bracket does seem to be working as far as keeping vibrations of the carb/intake down. While testing the bike out today. I did a slight port on my spare intake, couldnt resist. While testing though i noticed the fuel filter didnt bubble up from vibrating and fuel flow stayed consistent in the filter. Bike ran alot better to, could i have stopped severe vibrations in the float bowl as well? The piece of metal I used came with the kit and I couldnt find a use for until now. I guess ill keep it that way.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Would it help to shot peen the base of the manifold so surface cracks would be
slowed from forming. I agree supporting the carburator would be a big help if there
were points that would lend themselves to assisting that. The bracket shown is better
than nothing but seems in a way to be calculated to the life expectancy of the motor.
(which doesn't seem to be long)

Without the support the carb and fuel are like a free weight on the end of the manifold
where with the harmonics the base of the manifold would begin to crack. I'm not sure
that a harder material would solve the problem as heat will build in the same area no
matter what.

Even if one only takes a punch and hammer and peens it himself before setting up the
induction and installing the support brackett.

Attachments

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
We need to figure something out on this because number two just took a crap on me today. Brokoe rite in half.....:c

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We need to figure something out on this because number two just took a crap on me today. Brokoe rite in half.....:c
Ibcn,
Did you ever get that steel intake or is the one that broke today still the cast aluminum?
I have to feel that you are experiencing some unusually high vibrations to be be breaking these parts. I have the chrome steel intake on my first bike and have never had a problem but the second one has the cast intake. This engine has a little more vibration that my first but only time will tell.
I'd certainly try the steel intake if I were you or if you're handy with metal, fabricate your own. Might not be chrome but...so what, if it doesn't break?
Tom

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
The intake that broke today is infact another the cast one. I have just made a purchase of one of the steel ones from Livefastmotors. It cost me 15bux and is chrome plated, flange welded steel. Like the one pictured above.

I have considered vibrations and heat as a contributing factor and have placed rubber between the seat post and engine, havent done the lower mount as of yet. The rubber subsided the seat vibrations amazingly well. I just think we are dealing with cheap parts and garbage metal. Well ill try the new intake in a few days. Such a shame though since its so nice out :(