Best and biggest tank for this kind of bike

GoldenMotor.com

Teratoma

Apr 24, 2014
Arizona
Preface: My beloved Lola; my first build - a cheap Walmart frame with a 49cc China Doll - was stolen last week. I only had her since 04/2014.

I have since replaced her with a custom frame build that my friend's roommate has had in storage for far too long.

I will miss Lola terribly; but this new bike is just 100X better. I was already a dedicated gasbike enthusiast, but now that I see what is possible, I'm totally hooked.

SO: take a look at the pic, and let me know what I might eventually be able to upgrade to, as far as maximum tankage goes. The only limitation (and this is not a deal-breaker) is that I would like to put a standard rack on the back at some point; which may or may not keep me from using a rear-mounted tank. Open to any ideas.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Teratoma

Apr 24, 2014
Arizona
My roommate and I are wanting to take a trip from Tucson to Arivaca - roughly 60 miles - which I could likely manage with the .6 GAL tank I have right now. But what can I do if I wanna max out the amount of fuel I can carry?

Last edited:

Teratoma

Apr 24, 2014
Arizona
Thanks for that - so far I've only for 3.5 L tanks in that style - I'll keep looking. I have seen others here and there though - and there are definitely other configurations to consider.

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
If your buddies roomie made the frame...why not ask him if he would make a custom tank for you? Figure a way to graft a tank onto the bike as it is. Either pay him in cash or a few beers.

This way you can have what you want, and then still have a rear tank. This way you can have much MUCH more fuel on the bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I usually suggest motorcycle tanks. They'll typically hold at least a gallon, usually more. If you're lucky enough to have a motorcycle salvage place near you take a look there. Also there is always a ton of bike tanks on fleabay. Mounting them takes a little creativity but it isn't that hard.

I currently have three bikes with MC tanks, two of them hold at least two gallons. One is a 1.6 gallon tank. That's a lot of 2 stroke riding.

Tom

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
you could also do it ratchet moped style, and carry a 1 gallon gas can in a backpack, or strap it to a rack. Thats what I did when I was riding in the desert this summer and it worked out fine.