Why?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
There are always going to be people who will try to reach/push/break the limits of anything. Let us remember though, that going faster will actually increase your mpg, because an engine that can reach a higher speed at any given rpm will have better mpg than an engine traveling at slower speeds at the same rpm. For example: bike A has engine A and a top speed of 30 mph, and bike B also has engine A, but a top speed of 45 mph. Give them both a distance of 90 miles to travel, and bike B will reach it in 2 hours, but bike A will take 3 hours. This is assuming they are operating at or near top speed on engine power alone with no stops from point A to point B. Bike A will have used up 1.5x as much fuel as bike B, because bike A was operating longer. Now for me personally, I would like better hill climbing ability. I got into motorbicycling because I wanted to be able to travel farther than average distances without having to pedal. Since I dont climb hills well, my goal is not always met. However, I do go about 30 mph and get around 100mpg. It may not be the highest mpg on the forum or even close to it, but its still more than twice what any factory car in america gets. I call that pretty decent. There is nothing wrong, though, with someone wanting to build a bike thats meets their goals and desires performance-wise, whatever they may be.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You will run for less time, but at a higher fuel consumption rate. Other wise the national speed limit would be 100mph and we'd all be driving top fuel dragsters getting 1000 miles per gallon.

If you take your bikes A and B and put the same amount of fuel in them, you may get there faster on the faster bike, but it WILL use more fuel doing so.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I think its hilarious when someone says "Its the younger crowd" but have a picture of what can only be described as a hotrod for a profile pic. Just because you and your buds got old and careful does not mean you guys weren't young and dumb at one point too.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Everything must be EXTREME.
Your NOT COOL if your not risking a CRIPLING INJURY doing your thing.
You must follow the WISE ADVICE of "GO BIG OR GO HOME."
You must be SOMEBODY.
EVERYONE MUST SEE YOU!
YOUR IMPORTAND!
What a bunch of sheep following a LOAD OF SHEEP %&#%.
LOL, ain't it the truth! Well said...
I've noticed the same thing about the younger generation, lacking a name for their generation (they called me "Generation X") I've come up with one for them....

The "See Me Generation"

What do ya' think?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
They only want to be seen because their parents don't watch them. Check the newspaper. Go to your local wally world and watch how many little kids can't find mom,grandma,aunt so and so,etc. How do you lose a child? Did you forget you were a parent?

Not my kids. In the basket or we stay in the car and mom can go in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think its hilarious when someone says "Its the younger crowd" but have a picture of what can only be described as a hotrod for a profile pic. Just because you and your buds got old and careful does not mean you guys weren't young and dumb at one point too.
I resent that! I was NEVER young. Or at least I can't remember it if I was :)

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm still young inside, unfortunately he outside really hasn't worn very well.

Old and slow, no seatbelt? No, I use the seatbelt, but I might be prepared to concede the possibility that you can put a camper van in a 4 wheel drift.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You will run for less time, but at a higher fuel consumption rate. Other wise the national speed limit would be 100mph and we'd all be driving top fuel dragsters getting 1000 miles per gallon.

If you take your bikes A and B and put the same amount of fuel in them, you may get there faster on the faster bike, but it WILL use more fuel doing so.
Not if both are operating at the same rpm. Thats the part I forgot to include.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh fo'sho'!!!! I was young and dumb once...I broke my neck in three places after an all night pool tournament in 1982. I tried to run from the cops on my Suzuki, and IIIEEEEEEEEIIIEEEEEE!!!!! BLAMMO!!! I crashed out big time.

That was just that one thing, I did DOZENS of stupid things when I was young.

I try to keep it down to a dull roar now. :)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not if both are operating at the same rpm. Thats the part I forgot to include.
That point is arguable due to the total amount of manifold vacuum and other factors such as aerodynamic pressure.

There is always a trade off, and nothing is free.

True there is an optimum ratio (especially with our bikes because the gearing is too low), but just "gearing up" won't always do it.

So, you may be right under certain conditions.

Do you agree?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
They are "stuck in second gear". So upping the ratio some will give you a gain in mileage...

So, you WERE right. :)

I was just exercising my brain....probably a futile thing.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I happen to be one of the youngest members on this forum, while I can't speak for my generation, I myself would rather have class and style as opposed to speed. I'm restoring a '39 Chevy pickup and my friends tell me it's a waste of time because it's an "old person truck".. D: I don't think any of the bikes I own go over 20. As for sound, a perfectly quiet bike is for fun than anything that breaks glass. I agree with just about everyone here, if I want speed, I'll ride a dirt bike or my dad's street bike.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You be careful young man, there are people out there are afraid of thinkers like you! :D

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I once ( a couple of years ago) went 105 on my murdercycle while holding two large pizza's down on the tank with one hand.

So, I can still be stupid, AND get an adrenaline rush.

It's pretty hard for me to get the adrenaline going anymore though.