My first cruiser build.

GoldenMotor.com

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Hello All! I have not been on here for quite some time! Last time I was on here I was making weed eater friction drive bmx bikes but I grew tired of them and decided to make myself a cruiser bike. I really lucked out with this as I found it at the pawn shop with the motor and gas tank already on it! There was no coil, throttle, kill switch, chain or wheel hub on it, but I am just waiting for the last of my parts to come in so I can get her on the road. The coil, throttle and kill switch came in quite fast, but I am still waiting on my chain, hub and tensioner. I only paid $200 for this! It has never ran or seen fuel! I am really excited to finish this and show you all the end result. Hope ya'll like it so far.

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Well, thanks everyone! I couldn't pass it up being only 200 and so far I have only spent 45 dollars in parts. I finally have it all set up and ready to do a test ride. I have one concern so far though, it feels as if the 415 chain snags every so often on the engine sprocket. Should I maybe file the teeth down a bit? Other than that, everything else seems to be fine. I did shore up those fenders too. I just hope the rubber washers I use help out enough with vibration. I can't wait to get off from work and go take her for a spin. Maybe I should name her?

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Okay, I am having some trouble with my bike. I have it all hooked up, and when I go to try and start it, it just won't start. I went throught the directions 3 times to make sure I did everything that they stated and still no luck. When I let go of the clutch to engage the chain to start it, the motor just won't start like I have no spark. It gets really hard to pedal when I let go of the clutch. The first time I tried, it sounded like it was going to start, but nothing. The fuel petcock is on, I depressed the plunger button twice, pedaled then let out. I connected the two motor wires to the appropriate colored wires on the CDI, the kill switch yellow wire to the engine white and the black kill switch wire to frame ground. Now, for the frame ground, should I drill a hole and screw into that or is it okay to use the mounting bolt to the motor for ground. I am a tad bit frustrated and just want to make sure I am not missing something. Please help me!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Okay, I am having some trouble with my bike. I have it all hooked up, and when I go to try and start it, it just won't start. I went throught the directions 3 times to make sure I did everything that they stated and still no luck. When I let go of the clutch to engage the chain to start it, the motor just won't start like I have no spark. It gets really hard to pedal when I let go of the clutch. The first time I tried, it sounded like it was going to start, but nothing. The fuel petcock is on, I depressed the plunger button twice, pedaled then let out. I connected the two motor wires to the appropriate colored wires on the CDI, the kill switch yellow wire to the engine white and the black kill switch wire to frame ground. Now, for the frame ground, should I drill a hole and screw into that or is it okay to use the mounting bolt to the motor for ground. I am a tad bit frustrated and just want to make sure I am not missing something. Please help me!
Is that what your instructions said to do, ground out the white wire for the kill switch? My instructions had me connect the kill switch to the same wires on the CDI that the blue and black engine wires connected to, and just cap off the white wire. But I guess the kit instructions can differ.

Also, I am not sure how well your bike frame would work as a ground, since it is insulated from the... ground. The frame on a car works since it leads back to the negative terminal on the battery, but unless you have a 6V battery connected to your bicycle frame, I do not think it would work well.

But for now, you can just disconnect the kill switch altogether to take that out of the loop. They are notoriously easy to break, so it may be stuck closed. The bike will start and run fine without it, and you can kill the motor by dumping the clutch while stopped, no worries!

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Looks good, I like the bright pop of color. I think your bike could really benefit from a layback seatpost of some sort. Other then that, your well on your way to a nice build. Keep the pictures coming as your bike progresses.

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Thanks Maurtis! I will look into that when I get home and I will also post pictures of what I have set up at the moment. I am new to the kits as I am so used to my friction drives. I will post something before the end of the day! Oh, and as for the layback seat post, that is a must! Every time I ride this bike, I hear the Wizard of Oz song that plays when the witch is riding her bike! I'm a small guy, and this just feels like the handles are way too close to me!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The wizard of Oz song is great for helping the engine pumping up hills by pedaling! Some times I sing it out loud.

For cruising, I some times use the song "Born to be mild" Sang to the tune, "Born to be wild"

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Still no luck getting it started! I took a few pic to better help ya'll help me. If there is a certain angle or a certain pic that would helpout more, please, let me know and I will take a post them. Here is what I have. I am getting fuel to at least the fuel bowl because when I hold down the plunger button for about 4 seconds, fuel starts to pour out. It just doesn't seem like I am getting fuel to the cylinder because the spark plug is not wet. Carb needle maybe?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
:-||

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I only skimmed back but have you cleaned the carb? If I put an engine back to work after even a short time, I do it just so the thing will start, eventually. If you have not taken one apart, do it carefully and lay the parts out on a clean shop rag or paper towel in order. Some very small parts and is easy to get them in a pile and confused. A can of carb cleaner is cheap and a great tool.

The trifecta of engines is "Fuel, air and spark" Has to be one of those. One of those is always the culprit.

Also, the easy is always a good place to start, the spark. But lets see if the clean carb works.

(Now we need a carb cleaning song. I'm gonna suggest whistle while you work. lol)

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
I got it working! I feel like a dummy! I went ahead and took the carb apart, and wouldn't you know, the c-washer was underneath the c-clip on the needle instead of on top for the spring! It made me laugh knowing it was something as simple as a misplaced piece. I also went ahead and took the clutch cover off since the clutch didn't feel right, and there was a screw missing for the clutch adjustment nut.I set the clutch and found a screw that fit and Presto! She started running. I broke her in all day long! Only problem I had was my exhaust damn near fell off, so I made a gasket and put it back together. I am now, due to vibration, going to cut up a tire tube and add them to the engine mounts to reduce vibration. I got my speedo in the mail and now I am just waiting for the blinkers and headlight/horn combo and I will post some more pics of her. I also plan on matching the motor to the bike and paint the fenders with lightning bolts running down them. I will keep ya'll posted! Thanks for all of the help so far everyone!dance1

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
Well, I went on my first long cruise Monday, it did not go so well. The Motor ran great, the bike was the problem. First off, My rear brake cable busted, then my back fenders mounts broke and fell off, so I put it in my backpack and kept riding. Then my front fender broke all of it's mounts, put that into my backpack. I figured that would happen. I made sure everything was tight before I rode off, and I also made sure to use plastic washers to dampen vibration, I also used some tractor tire tube to go between my tank and bike as well as some rubber tire bits to go into my fins. The vibration was hardly noticeable. I was on my return trip back home when I was about 6 miles away when my rear bike tire blew out the sidewall, but it looked more like a gash. I was on nice smooth road. I need to find some thicker tires for this thing, even though these tires were brand spanking new. I was lucky enough to ride by a "your Speed" sign and it said I was going 36 on flat land. My speedo at the same time said 35. I still had fun on my trip though, it was a 20 mile there, 20 miles back ride and at least it went 34 of the miles. No more fenders for me until I make me some sturdier ones. Here is what it looked like an hour before my trip.
[/IMG]
I have to take a pic of it now, but I am at work right now, so, not till later today.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
So sorry to hear you had bike trouble, but very glad you had fun and did not get hurt! I went for my first longish ride over the weekend on my build too. When I got home I found that my rear fender was barely hanging on, the middle mount had broken and the bolt at the bottom near the kickstand was about to fall off, leaving only the rear mounts on the chainstays!

I ditched the front fender when I put the springer on.

I think I am done with fenders and am going to mount a rear rack and line the bottom of it with something to keep the stripe off my back, lol.

Glad your motor ran well!!! I think 36 is mighty fine. I know on my bike, that speed feels WAAAAAAY fast xct2

Recreative82

Jul 30, 2010
Corpus Christi Texas
That's a good idea! I think a rack would be a great alternative to fenders. My only question is , can anyone point me in the way of some good tires, these stock huffy ones scare me and I want to replace them asap. I have no use for the front tire now even though it is still good. Are those wormwood ones one Pistonbikes any good?