Opinions on dual start engines?

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a good engine right now and do expect it to last awhile longer. But I was thinking my next engine might be a dual start engine. These are the engines that come with the centrifugal clutch and the manual handlebar clutch both installed. I am particularly considering buying one from either boy go fast or lucky early bird on ebay. Any thoughts? Good or bad?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Just my opinion, but I'd build a 4-stroke. When I was in your position back in 2007 I wish 4-stroke kits like we have now were available, tell you what :D

Only thing worse than one broke-down 2-stroke is 2 of em. Gotta have something to ride when you're not cussing at the chinagirl :D

That time will come, trust me.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Just my opinion, but I'd build a 4-stroke. When I was in your position back in 2007 I wish 4-stroke kits like we have now were available, tell you what :D

Only thing worse than one broke-down 2-stroke is 2 of em. Gotta have something to ride when you're not cussing at the chinagirl :D

That time will come, trust me.
wat about 3 engines then?

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I don't see the point in having a manual clutch still if you have a CC. It would serve no purpose. Maybe if you were doing it for legal sake but I'm pretty sure that is specific to colorado. Having the manual clutch with a CC is very redundant.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I dont care about the manual clutch. I just wanna know if the dual start engines run good, and if the centrifugal clutches in them hold up. I had a bad experience with a centrifugal clutch once, and want to know if i might have a better experience with a dual start engine. I guess the point of getting an engine with a dual clutch would be in case the auto clutch fails like my first one did, then i could still use the manual clutch. please can i hear from someone who has actually BOUGHT and USED a dual start engine?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Just my 2 cents. I have had several manual/centrifual/pull start steups. The cent clutch is a big plus for city driving. Other than BTR or a bike for speed all my builds will be with c-clutch. We all know well that the pull starters are weak but I don't use it anyway.

I dont care about the manual clutch. I just wanna know if the dual start engines run good, and if the centrifugal clutches in them hold up. I had a bad experience with a centrifugal clutch once, and want to know if i might have a better experience with a dual start engine. I guess the point of getting an engine with a dual clutch would be in case the auto clutch fails like my first one did, then i could still use the manual clutch. please can i hear from someone who has actually BOUGHT and USED a dual start engine?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
the bgf I got for the tandem wasn't a GGG-2, so pull start only(after replacing the cheap-ass pull cable that broke after 5 pulls, lol), so careful when you get an engine with the clutch already installed...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The dual start engines run the same as any other China Girl engine. They are the same engines only with the addition of a centrifugal clutch and pull start kits added on.
Do a search on the clutches though. They need to be modified to be reliable and prevent damage to the engine.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I pretty much know all the rice burners are the same. I have done searches, when my first auto clutch failed. Seems people either love or hate them. When I asked if these particular engines ran good, I meant would the centrifugal clutch hold up. I dont want to buy an engine just to have the one way bearing fail, thats just a waste of money. I will do a search and see what I come up with.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am a huge fan of the centrifugal clutch kit for the HTs. All my builds now come with it as standard.

I have lost track of how many I have installed... 35? 40?, but have had zero problems with any of them.

The CC has a sprag in it with allows you to pedal start the engine, pedal and release clutch, engine starts, so clutch handle is still needed. After the engine is started, no need to use the clutch handle at all.

Some certain types of kits come with the cc already installed, they will have no clutch handle, but will have a pull start installed, that is the only way to start those, they have no sprag, and no manual clutch parts at all, they are specifically designed as a pull-start,CC engine.

My suggestion is to get a regular kit with the manual clutch, and buy the centrifugal clutch kit as a separate item.
That way you can start out with the manual clutch and ride it like that for a while, then add the CC and ride it like that for a while, and if you don't like it (probably won't happen, you WILL like it) you can remove it and sell it to me at a discount( only kidding, I know you will like it).

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am in full agreement! However as long as it is advertized as dual start they will come with the spraug setup and you won't have to do the install yourself.
I am a huge fan of the centrifugal clutch kit for the HTs. All my builds now come with it as standard.

I have lost track of how many I have installed... 35? 40?, but have had zero problems with any of them.

The CC has a sprag in it with allows you to pedal start the engine, pedal and release clutch, engine starts, so clutch handle is still needed. After the engine is started, no need to use the clutch handle at all.

Some certain types of kits come with the cc already installed, they will have no clutch handle, but will have a pull start installed, that is the only way to start those, they have no sprag, and no manual clutch parts at all, they are specifically designed as a pull-start,CC engine.

My suggestion is to get a regular kit with the manual clutch, and buy the centrifugal clutch kit as a separate item.
That way you can start out with the manual clutch and ride it like that for a while, then add the CC and ride it like that for a while, and if you don't like it (probably won't happen, you WILL like it) you can remove it and sell it to me at a discount( only kidding, I know you will like it).