Happy Time Engine Electric Starter/Generator Question...

GoldenMotor.com

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Just out of curiosity, how many here would be interested in a electric starter/generator for the HT engines?

I'm building a new bike and have decided to buy a freewheel sprocket hub for the engine. Every once in awhile I do like to actually pedal the bicycle but h*ll the resistance from the engine chain and clutch can sometimes be too much. The problem with this is I will not be able to pedal start the engine any more so I ordered a pull starter. That was before I read all those horror stories about the d*mn thing breaking relatively quickly.

So I've been studying a way to make an electric starter that would be no bigger mounted on the engine than the pull starter. With the added benefit of the starter motor becoming a generator once the engine starts I will be able to with the aid of a controlling circuit charge a battery at 13.8 volts and run a real set of lights and turn signals and horn.

My goal is to make it safer for me to ride on the streets. I ask the question because if this works well for me I would be willing to make kits, starter, lights, batteries, and etc. to sell to others but only if there is a market for such.

Thanks,

James.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Re: Happy Time Electric Starter/Generator Question...

if the price was reasonable... count me in!!

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT

Now if the starter is going to be used as a generator, I think it would actually burn up the unit faster then what you may not have thought to happen.
Generators are built entirely differnet from starters. Starters are made to fire rapidly in short burts, or the commentator will simply over heat and short circuit itself from carbon buildup off the brushes.
A generator is built to run on a continuos bassis and the field windings are design for this purpose as well.
Really sorry to burst your bubble on this issue.......I have experience in rebuilding starters and generators to know this application does not exist.
This is why all motor vehicels have two seperate components for two jobs.

Maximo

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho

Hmm...

Well, I was thinking about adapting a starter/generator designed for another 2-cycle engine to work on mine. Just a matter of machine work. I figured since this type of setup is already being used for the other motor there would be no issues like the ones you discussed. One being that the starter is attached to the same shaft as the crank. Other vehicles with starters use a gear reduction system which would definately pose a problem with what I am thinking.

I'm goig to try anyway. The worst that could happen is that I blow $50.00 for the motor and time used to make parts.

Thanks for the feedback as it gives me foresight in what problems that may occur.

James

rcjunkie

Sep 6, 2008

Starter generator's, if designed as such, work perfectly and save weight. Many of the helicopters I flew had starter generators and didnt' burn up.

JBur, if you can make one, I'd consider buying one.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho

I'll do my best to make a working prototype within the next 3 weeks or so. I'm doing a total engine rebuild and plan to mount it to a brand new beach cruiser bike. One thing about living on California's north coast I have to deal with is rust and corrosion so I'm replacing all the hardware I can with stainless steel and studying other anti-corrosion techniques. I've got a lot on my plate to say the least not to mention that I have to do this in my spare time.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

James

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

HI,

Sounds very interesting....perhaps the added power output could be used to operate better ignition systems in addition to lights etc...If that is the case I would definitely be interested as well.

Andrew

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

That would sell very well. I would definatly buy one.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008

As rcjunkie said, aircraft use starter/generators. However, they might be very heavy. When you add the weight of a battery and starter/generator you'll be doubling the weight of the engine.
Let us know how it works out. Maybe a riding lawnmower starter is a place to start?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

Why am I suddenly visualizing the Lawn Mower Races episode of "Home Improvement"? rotfl

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

In trying to use a CVT, I was thinking a wheel like a friction drive, but only starts the motor. Still pop start so is not what you had in mind. But instead of pulling the wheel off the rear tire, let it turn a generator? Just typing out laud. Would be a geared arm with apposing cogs to start the motor with an idler sprocket. After motor starts, let it run an alternator.

2 complicated and costly. Gonna build it anyway. LOL

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa

they make starter generators, they are on all gas golf carts and you can buy replacement ones online

georgeknight

Sep 26, 2008
Lebanon, Mo.

If the price is right, I'll buy one. It would solve alot of headaches.
Count me in. George

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california

jburr, i think your talking about a starter for a pocket bike motor. that would great. i have a 43cc electric start but dont know if it would turn my ht over, has a time with that first crank after that its ok, turns fast enough to engage the centrifigal clutch. if you can make it work i would be interessted as well. even if the project dosent work at least you had fun trying, i know every time i turn on the mill it puts a smile on my face. good luck and have fun.
hill climber

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho

I had a change in plans with my engine and bike rebuild. I took my bike apart only to find out how freaking cheap this thing was build. I mean the wheel bearings, steering column bearings, and bottom bracket (pedal crank) bearings had no bearing chasers so the steel balls were rubbing against each other in opposite directions. Even with grease this is an issue since I have and engine for the bike. Also since I live in a coastal environment the salty marine fog around here corroded the liven daylights out of the so-called chrome parts and even the aluminum parts look like they corroded like lead battery posts.

Needless to say I'm rebuilding this bike from scratch with high quality parts. I'm stripping the paint off all the parts (including my freshly repainted engine) so that I can put a protective nickel eletroplate on it. Nickel is resistant to this type of corrosion and polished it looks like chome.

I had foot surgery last November and the holidays slowed me down on this project but I'm going at it again soon.

As for the electric starter goes I think it's going to work rather nicely however I'm going to make a new magneto cover to mount the starter motor on. The original cover may bust all to pieces the first time I power the motor due to the torque.

I also want to find a way to balance the crankshaft with the flywheels to reduce vibration.

I'll get busy on this within the next few weeks and post my progress.

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida

what up. electric starter? can u please tell or link me to how you did it? I have a problem with my back and cant always get my china engine started. [email protected] thanks dude

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho

I haven't exactly done it quite yet. I have an electric starter motor for a pocket bike that I have to machine parts for to make it fit such as a shaft extension and the motor encaps with the bearings. I'll be doing this within the next few weeks but I need to buy some special tools for my lathe to turn it into a small milling machine for the magneto cover. I'm quite inexperienced doing this kind of metal work but I learn quickly. Also I need to build a place to stow the battery and the starter solenoid on the bike. I have a few ideas however space is slim on my bike.