what is going to break next?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Theres 2 different types of a tap, one is pointed the other is flat on the end. I forget the correct term for them but one is a starter tap the other you finish with. The pointed one will correct it self when starting to tap the hole so it goes straight in................
One is the standard tapered Tap and the other is called a Bottoming Tap, when you cant run the tapered Tap all the way through an object that is being tapped you use a battoming Tap to finish cutting the threads down to the bottom of the hole.

Peace

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, I know a lot of people have issues with the HT (China Girl) engines, but I can honestly say that I virtually have none..... I have 1,015 Miles on my first build now with a BGF 66cc kit and I have 380 Miles on my second BGF 66cc Slant Kit engine, I did cook this one at around 20 miles but it was my fault for running it to hard with a very lean oil/fuel mix for about 6+ miles non stop and I seized it up and had to completely rebuild it, new jug, new piston, new crank assy. and now this is by far the best of the two engines.

It seems to me that the majority of the people here that truely understand these engines and put them together right have the least amount of trouble with them, I do understand that they are very poorly built in some areas and are prone to have some issues because of it, but I honestly just get on mine and go on several mile trips all the time without ever having a glitch.

I like these little engines and think that they are a great bang for the buck and I also believe that they can be made to be pretty dang reliable if they are set up to be and also run right with a quality oil like Opti 2, which I think is the very best IMHO.

Replace 95+% of the stock Nuts & Bolts with high grade stuff

Mount-em right ( NO Rubber or other cushioning junk, good solid mount to bike )

Tune-em right ( need to understand a 2 smoker and how it works )

Run-em right ( anything can be tore up if it's run beyond it's limit )

And they will serve you well for a good while in my personal experience.

Not knocking the HF 79cc engine at all here, I know it will probably run circles around the China Girl long term, but with china girls giving 5000+ miles to some guys I say that is pretty darn good for a cheap little engine like they are.

Peace & Happy safe riding.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
amen, mapbike.

all the main things to watch out for have been addressed already, and since this thread turned into the old 4stroke vs. 2stroke debate, i figure i'd add something here.

i went to the deathrace with a bag of tools and no spare parts, and a modified 2 stroke HT engine with 8-10,000 miles on it.

the only time i got my tools out was to remove the supertrapp tip from my exhaust to make it wide open, and to get a screwdriver to pop the visor off my helmet.

beat the living daylights outta that motor, and it still runs great.

these are the simplest motors to learn on, to maintain, and to tinker with. once you figure it out, and replace the crap that was designed to fail, you really can't beat it.

i'm not saying 2's rule and 4's suck, i just don't think they deserve the bad rep some people give them.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Amen, Amen & Amen

I like 2's & 4's each have there +'s & -'s, each can be reliable and each can be a pain in the neck at times, I believe the 4's are a good choice for the less hooby oriented builder, as an enjoyable hobby the 2 smokers win in my book, they seem like a huge challenge to the less mechanicaly inclined, but for those of us who enjoy a challenge and actually enjoy the tinkering they can be frustrating & fun all at the same time because the fun of the frustration is the challenge to get it right and win the war.....!

Sometimes I think some people who get the 2 smoker kits think they're getting a plug & play set up, this can kinda be the case as long as they unplug all the junk from the kit and plug in some quality fasteners, gaskets and understand how to tune them into the mix of things.

I have built a very strong modified 6.5hp clone which is a good engine as long as a person treats it like you would one of these HT engines and loctite things good and upgrade some of the hardware, the carbs. need to be retuned on them if you put a straight pipe on it and a better flowing air filter just like the 2 smokers, if not they will also run to lean.

many of the issues incountered on the small engines are from lack of knowledge, that is why this forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread for the newbie to the 2 smokers and the rest, I see info. given on here sometime that makes me laugh and think "what the heck" but 99% of what I see here is excellent info. that helps people including myself many times, there is still a lot we can all learn, I always hope I can help someone avoid a mistake I've made because many on here have done the same for me.

These are very simple engines but then again 2+2=4 is only simple after a person inderstand why.......!

The Good Book says " my people perish for lack of knowledge " and so with these engines many problems are created, or not "nipped in the bud" for lack of knowledge.

Hard core Honda guys say all the same negative stuff about the 4stroke China Clones, heard a bunch of it when I started my clone build year before last.

Peace

amen, mapbike.

all the main things to watch out for have been addressed already, and since this thread turned into the old 4stroke vs. 2stroke debate, i figure i'd add something here.

i went to the deathrace with a bag of tools and no spare parts, and a modified 2 stroke HT engine with 8-10,000 miles on it.

the only time i got my tools out was to remove the supertrapp tip from my exhaust to make it wide open, and to get a screwdriver to pop the visor off my helmet.

beat the living daylights outta that motor, and it still runs great.

these are the simplest motors to learn on, to maintain, and to tinker with. once you figure it out, and replace the crap that was designed to fail, you really can't beat it.

i'm not saying 2's rule and 4's suck, i just don't think they deserve the bad rep some people give them.