New tank inspired by Silverbear and Tinsmith

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Ok, I wasn't going to post anymore pictures till I was all done, but I couldn't resist putting up a couple of shots since I'm almost there.
No more leaks...

It's been a lot of hours of work so far but I've really enjoyed doing this.
As a first tank project I'm quite satisfied with the results.

I know it might not be a style for everyone, but I want to get that flat track motorcycle look that I like.

I've got to tell you that anytime you see guys on this forum who have taken the time to build their own tanks... Bairdco, Silverbear, Tinsmith, Venice, Jim at Creative Eng.,Sportscarpat
Culvertcity,Flybytaco..etc you gotta respect their abilities cause this ain't easy to do.

By the way, I think I want to give it high gloss black coat of paint, even thought the brass looks pretty nice..
Whatcha think?
TiM

Thanks for the inspiration guys..

Next week it'll be on the bike and I'll shoot my last series of pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Congratulations on a fine tank, never mind that it is your first! I like the brass for sure, but once it is on the bike I guess that is what determines best what you should do with it... paint or natural. Dan and I made some good progress on the copper tank today and will have some photos to share tomorrow. I'd like to someday try the cantilever tank in brass if nothing else to discover how it is different to work with from copper or tin. I think maybe yours is breaking new ground, Tim, as it is the only brass gas tank I've seen. I look forward to seeing it on your bike.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pretty work!!! I really, really love the brass. Polish and some turtle wax, suweet. Just sayin'

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
So it's been 4 weeks since I started doing my tank project.
It's been a learning experience and I really enjoyed putting everything together.

Here are the things I wanted my tank to be:
1) Different than anything I've seen someone build
2) Hold more gas than the 2.5 liter peanut kit tank
3)Something to straddle the top tube and not just sit on top of the tube.
4) Made out of something I had on hand. My budget for bikes is nill.

FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE OUTCOME:

I must say it took more time to build this tank than it did to originally put my bike together when I first built it.

It's a little bigger than I thought it would be, maybe slightly out of scale to my bike.

I don't think it has really artistic lines to it, but it is a "one of a kind"
I proved to myself that I could do it, and it will work..

Despite the fact that the brass looks good, I think it stands out a little too much, and I may paint it..or maybe not

Here it is. Thanks again ... especially Silverbear, and Tinsmith for the
great inspiration . Without your tank build , I would have never started mine.

Thanks for viewing.....
TiM

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tim,
Once again, nice job on the tank. I know there is alot going on with the pattern work there, and that's and intangible most won't see until they try it. The tank style SB and I are doing has no straight lines so it presents other issues. Actually I think the steel tanks are a little easier, I know the one I made for my current project was. Would you be up for meeting at the Double T Diner in Catonsville some weekend if I could get SB to come along? Take care, Dan

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Did I hear "Diner", as in eat? Count me in!
Tim, you did a nice job on that tank. If you're not entirely happy with the design, consider it a very well executed prototype to be proud of and go from there. The tank I'm using on the bike I'm riding was our prototype and maybe in Dan's eyes it isn't as good as the later ones, but it still looks good to me and I'm using it. And if I could have pulled off what you accomplished with yours I'd be real pleased. You're right in these being more time consuming and labor intensive than one would think. But the results are super cool. Congratulations.
SB

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I'm in, with or without bikes.
Thanks for the invite.
I'll need to figure out my schedule with the family goings on, but I'd love to meet you guys and don't want to miss the opportunity.
Talk to you soon.............
TiM

ps. Pinhole leak 5 miles.... Took it off and drained it ...

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Tim,
It'll be bikeless. I don't have a way to haul mine yet! I thought if we could at least meet at an "off" hour we could talk bikes for awhile and wouldn't distrub anything in the Diner. That place can be a real busy. Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well, I got to see the brass tank in person yesterday and it looks better in person than the post pics. What was funny was that Silverbear and I drove to Baltimore to hook up with Tim at a Diner. After we met and sat down and ordered lunch from under the table Tim whips out the dreaded brass gas tank and passes it around the table while we discuss the different issues of how he made it and problems you run into making something like that. It wasn't til later that I wondered what others in the place were thinking. (not that any of us cared), but we were so caught up in the motorbike discussion it never crossed our minds. It's a great piece of work that Tim shared on the forum and to have three "Wingnuts" together at one time is a whole lot of fun. Thanks for all who take the time to share on this forum. Dan

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yep,
Tim does nice work and that tank in "brass kicks ass" (a short poem). It was great fun sharing a meal and our enthusiasm for these motored bikes. I would encourage any of you to make the effort to get to a rally when you can manage it or make up a ride on your own. The next best thing is reading other's posts and looking at pictures.
I'm looking forward to a ride with these guys now... woo hoo!
SB

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
This is the first time I have checked out this part of the forum . I have been stuck in the 4 stroke area..As a metal fabricator myself ..I love your tank Great Job......
Flex Man......