Comet Centrifugal Clutch Question

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
:confused:I have a Comet centrifugal pulley clutch & yesterday it started acting goofy once warm, wanting to lock up & stall the engine at low rpm's (at engagement). I have it mounted with the pulley inboard & I read somewhere that it can go on both inboard or outboard.
I'm thinking that when it starts spinning fast enough to engage, the shoes want to go outwards away from the bell housing & its causing an out of round situation in there.
If I flip the clutch around the shoes would want to go deeper into the bell housing & not out?
Only problem is I'd have to re-position the engine since the belt wont line perfectly up with the sheave once flipped.
I guess before I either flip it & move everything to try it, I wanna get some feedback on these clutches.
Any ideas?
-lowracer-

Attachments

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
i was perusing your threads and remembered seeing something about bracing on mopedarmy's wiki page

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Clutch_tuning

if you scroll down to the pics of the brace youll see what definitely works to stop the shoes from pivoting outward...

I made my own for my e50 which didn't have one to begin with and it made a crazy difference in the clutch at engagement and higher rpms...

hope this helps

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Lowracer:

Flipping the clutch will have no effect on the problem you are having.

There are a few reasons for a clutch to act up. You describe what appears to be early lockup when hot.

Does it drag or want to stall at idle when hot?

What rpm does it lock at cold vs hot?

Are you seeing the shoes move out of the clutch bell (axially with the shaft) when it operates?

The link posted for the 3 shoe moped clutch has no information that relates to the operation of a comet 2 shoe clutch.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You fellas do realize lowracers post here was 4 years ago..

Im gonna guess he resolved this issue a long time ago, but maybe someone else can be helped by this thread being revived.

Map

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
the brace works for 2 and 3 shoe clutches

stock 1978 puch mopeds have 2 shoe clutches, probably smaller in diameter than the comet but the bracing is universal...

I used a fine tooth metal hole saw bit in a drill press to cut the inner, then the outter circles

doesn't take long and the results are immediate...

I knew the post was very old but newer information can be had to those not in the know throught the link posted earlier just as map said...

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
You fellas do realize lowracers post here was 4 years ago..

Im gonna guess he resolved this issue a long time ago, but maybe someone else can be helped by this thread being revived.

Map
Sorry, I missed the fact that someone had dredged up yet an another old thread. I should know better.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sorry, I missed the fact that someone had dredged up yet an another old thread. I should know better.
Lol.... hey....sometimes and maybe even many times it a good thing to dredge up some older threads, I have learned many things from seeing it on an old thread someone has brought back to life that I had never seen before, so much grea information here but over time some of it gets buried and many never knew it was there until someone digs it up.

Carry on by all means....

Map

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
the brace works for 2 and 3 shoe clutches

stock 1978 puch mopeds have 2 shoe clutches, probably smaller in diameter than the comet but the bracing is universal...
NOPE.

Here are a couple of links to the type of 2 shoe Lowracer was working with;

http://www.recmotor.com/imagesProducts/clutch-diagram.jpg

http://www.recmotor.com/products/noram-ge-clutch/

There are no pivots to be braced. The clutch shoes float inside the drum.

If that type of clutch exhibits axial displacement of the shoes from the drum, it is usually because it has been badly overheated, and the drum has become bell shaped.