Motorizing My Cruiser (a story)

GoldenMotor.com

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
I have been wanting to motorize my bike for a long time. My parents never let me have any kind of motor cycle or
quad when I was a kid so it's no wonder I did this project as an adult. I got this brand new Huffy cruiser from Walmart for $75. When I bought the bike I never had any plans for motorizing it. I was just in a hurry and I thought it looked good. It's really surprising the number of complements I got on this bike riding it around town before I motorized it. In a way I kind of feel like I ruined it by putting a motor on in, nevertheless, I do believe that this particular Walmart huffy was destined to be a motorized bike.

I ordered a kit from an Ebayer with a somewhat decent reputation, the best reputation I could find for a kit seller still was a bit low for my standards. The kit turned out to be really good. They provided an attachment for drilling through the frame to mount the motor on a cruiser and everything, even though I was too thick headed to use it at first, I'll get to this mishap later. My kit didn't come with that little electrical box that steps up the voltage to ignite the spark plug.

I think the most important thing I learned during this build is a can do attitude. Whenever I would get
to a really hard problem and there were many: the motor fell off, the chain cut part of the frame, riding with no brakes
for a while, the chain came off, the pedal chain got cut too short, the motor chain got cut too short, I pounded the heck out my frame to try to mount the motor, I had to bend the back part of the frame to get a freewheel wheel on, I put the motor sprocket on backwards with bolts sticking out the wrong way. I did a lot of things wrong and out of haste because I was so excited.

I kind of felt like a chimpanzee trying to assemble this monstrosity. I mean the first tool I used was a hammer when I decided that it would be best to pound the frame into a shape that would fit the bottom motor mount. Needless to say this procedure didn't work out very well, but I found out how strong my frame actually is. I kind of Jerry Rigged the bottom engine mount with everything I could find except duct tape, mind you, and the engine came off in mid ride. One of the engine bolts snapped because of the lame way I mounted it.

Eventually I did use the supplied drill through adapter, though I still only have one engine bolt holding the bottom mount on through a severeyly pounded frame :-\ It hold fine, for now... JB weld maybe ???

I ended up having to purchase new chains. Through a series of mishaps and faulty plans I ended up shortening the big fat chain that came with my kit to an unusable length. I thought I would mount the big fat chain to a fixie flip flop wheel to increase top speeds, but I never obtained the fixed gear flip flop wheel. I shortened and installed the original huffy chain on the motor side to have better engine alignment and not tire and frame rub. But then I ended up cutting that chain too short as well.

So I had to go to the store and buy 3 more bicycle chains and daisy chain them together into 2 usable chains for my motorized bicycle because the chains are made to short for my cruiser. I pounded and otherwise bent and ruined the original coaster brake wheel (don't ask me why) that came with my Huffy. I got luck, a stroke of fate? and purchased a ruined bike frame at a flea market that included 2 hand brakes a n d a perfect back wheel with free wheel. Yay! I finally installed the new chains, the used brakes, and wheel, Viola, I have a killer motorized bicycle, albeit, my frame is bent and cut in some god aweful ways, but it seems structurally sound for now. I mounted a head light and a tail light and cruise around. I finally got around to mounting the engine kill wires.

Sorry for being such a bad example as a builder, but if I can do this anybody can! I love my bike.

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
I found a guy in my small town who works on small engines. He removed the broken stud from the engine and helped me mount my engine correctly. I am really enjoying my motorized bicycle. It's a lot of fun to ride around and I feel a lot safer now that my motor is mounted with all 4 studs instead of just 3. My frame is permanently mangled where I hammered the tube, but the consensus is that it will hold. I went on a really long ride out in the country without any problems. I am looking forward to riding my motorized bike for a long time more to come. I am going to look into finding something to quiet the motor even more. It's kind of loud. I think my engine is starting to break in because my bike is starting to go faster than before. I think I will have the head re torqued after like 100 miles or so.

Also, I want to adjust the wires better. It seems like they included way to much wire with my kit and all of my cables are too long. I think I will get some touch up paint. Rat bars would be fun, but I think they would bring too much attention to me when I am riding around. Everybody stares at me enough as I ride around. I think the gas tank is kind of lame looking. I would like to install something less conspicuous. I really would like better handgrips but I think I am stuck with what I have for now. I might install some back pegs to put my feet on when I get into aero dynamic mode and zoom. Also, maybe a new seat post would make things more comfortable, and I have to figure out a way to make the gas stop leaking. I think the gas is leaking from like 5 different places.

Hopefully I can get some people around my neighborhood to build these things too so that we can all ride around together. But I think most people would be afraid to modify a bicycle in such a way. It's kind of a rare breed that has the inclination to do the kind of thing we are doing, but I feel quite safe on my motorized bicycle now that I am getting the hang of it, and especially now that the engine is mounted better. My only real concern is that the chain doesn't spin as smooth as it should. I don't think the back sprocket is as true as it could be. I think I will work on making it more true tonight :-/

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Some of the guys here are former motocross racers, some are mechanics or engineers. Most of us are just overgrown kids who still like bicycles and learn from the more experienced and less mechanically disadvantaged forum members. Like you, I started out with one problem after another mostly due to excitement and haste in wanting to have the wind in my face. A few years later and I'm amazed at what I have learned, especially in the year I have been here. Now I enjoy the building as much as the riding.
Sounds like your frame has been through a couple of wars. It might be a good idea to be on the lookout for a replacement one of these days. Perhaps you could just transfer wheels and such from your current bike to the new to you one. It will go together a lot easier than the first one did.
SB

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
My motorized bicycle is quite fun and reliable now. Here are some pictures for you ;-/ I think I enjoy riding it a little too much, but I try to stay safe. Here is a link to some other pictures I posted. http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f15/28870d1283970504-my-bike-lives-yay-small_side_view.jpg My bike is kind of plain, but it is kind of modified, ie the freewheel multispeed back rim, the bicycle engine drive chain adjusted without the need for a clunky tensioner, and the handbrakes. I think I will buy some pegs for it soon. Here is a video of me riding it back when I was still trying to use the big fat chain and original back wheel and no brakes, not even a coaster brake, yikes! http://www.youtube.com/user/cooper77z#p/u/0/kj3kLmYS-Bg My girlfriend won't stop laughing at me :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
WD,

Glad you are enjoying your bike. The nice thing about these bikes is that everything that you put ON a bike could easily be removed and put on ANOTHER bike later on. Saw the vid and it looks like you've got it pretty well sorted out. IF you want to stop your g/f from laughing, just let her ride yours once, she'll be hooked. Especially if you go for an extended ride up a steep incline. :D

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pretty cool... My kids and the Misses laugh at Me all the time , but its a good laugh. yeah.. one of the good thing about thes is You can put everything on another bike, and you can fix em up 20 or 30 dollars here or there you know little bit at a time.

Cheers

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In my place, you will see people smile at your bike, seeing a bike with an engine is pretty new here. Kids are loving the idea of motorizing their bikes!

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Everybody has to start somewhere.We all learned from our mistakes and became better at our interests because of it.You'll be giving advice before you know it!Kip.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I musta scared the OP away with the chinglish. For those with chinglish as a second language, a translation: A China Girl can provide many laughs for you and your girlfriend.
I was asking for an explination,because what you posted didn't make sence to me and as for the apoligy I can't see any.
Oh by the way what is an OP? Thank you for the explanation.Kip.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
OP = Original Post/er (first post/thread creator)

It was simply a small joke made about the sometimes horrid translation found in many manuals, not limited to just our engines - or even China for that matter lol ;)

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
Im not scared away, I am still around, contemplating the legalities of riding a motorized bicycle in my town. I don't think anybody in this town cares because it is so small, but I want to take it for a ride in a different city and try it on the hills and on this old abandoned rode.