Alot Of Help Needed!!! Need Experts

GoldenMotor.com

Blackrain2012

Aug 12, 2010
San Diego
Okay, so there are a few things i want to do to my bike.

1) so, i have been looking for a silencer and it doesn't seem like there are any pre made ones. (if there are tell me where to order) So i am going to build my own silencer. Here is my idea:

Im going to cut off the little pipe at the end of my exhaust, And thread a brass nipple into it:

Then, i will take a soup can and drill a hole in one side and thread another brass nipple into That hole and open the other side half way. Then i will fill it up with some product that i need help deciding on and close the half open side. i will weld it shut and drill some big holes in it. Then i connect the two brass nipples with some heat resistant tube.

Here are my questions: What do i stuff the can with
WILL IT SILENCE THE EXHAUST?

2) I want to turn the air system into a forced air induction system WITH an upgraded air filter.

Here are my questions: Where can i buy a air filter for these bikes SPECIFICALLY
HOW DO I LEAD A PIPE AROUND THE BIKE SO IT FACES THE FRONT to make it . a Forced air induction system

3) how do i make a boost bottle, what size pipe do i get and how long of a tube. I have a 66cc engine.
.duh.:-||

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
About the only way a forced air induction system will work on one of these would be to bolt a tuba on the front of your bike but then the drag would negate the extra air.

You're just not going fast enough on one of these that airflow directed into the carb makes much of a difference, just ask the guys who've flipped the jug around so the carb faces forward.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Anything you stuff into the can will eventually clog up with carbon and oil residue.
A cheap, but actually flammable material would be very coarse steel wool.
A not quite so cheap but definitely less flammable material would be a brass or stainless wire kitchen scrubber. It sort of looks like a steel wool pad, but alot looser woven and way more durable. 99 cent stores sell them at the best price. Still, that will not deaden the noise very well.
A typical muffler would have a set of baffles in the very center, inside a perforated tube, which is surrounded by a shock or sound absorbing matting such as fiberglass. The classic "cherry bomb" muffler as used on classic muscle cars is such a muffler, only no baffles. It has a straight through perforated tube with matting around it. I am sure you have heard them before.
Another type of muffler has a set of tuned length tubes or channels inside of it, sort of like a maze that the exhaust gasses must travel through. This is how a Borla or MagnaFlow muffler works. The tubes or channels are tuned in such a way as to cancel out the pulses of sound energy that the engine creates each time an exhaust valve opens.
All of these style mufflers have a decent or very good flow through them.
I am telling you all of this so you may understand better why you do not just want to try to suffocate the noise with a can full of material. That method creates too much back pressure. The engine has to overcome the resistance to flow that the exhaust gasses would encounter.
Try breathing through a blanket or a shirt wadded up. Your lungs must overcome the resistance to the air flow in much the same way the engine's exhaust would have to overcome a stuffed can muffler.

Can you say power loss?

Forced induction just by having a scoop or forward facing air filter with some kind of funnel on it will not have any benefit until you go 60 to 70 MPH. At that speed, it is just beginning to help out a teeny bit.
At vehicle speeds lower than that you would need a turbo charger or supercharger (AKA blower).
This has been covered before in a few threads, and the end result is typically "it would cost too much" or "the cheap Chinese engine cannot handle the extra power".

Don't get me wrong here. Do as you wish. An air scoop of some kind, done tastefully, would look pretty cool on a MB, but it would only be just that; a cool looking non-functioning thing.

Here's a link that explains mufflers better than I did:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Please listen to the advice offered by GearNut. Keep in mind that these are simple little 2 stroke engines designed to power a motorized bicycle. The key word here is 'bicycle'. They are not motorcycles and the 25/30 mph range is a safe speed for them. Performance modifications, as in the automotive world, can and will produce some gains in horsepower and potentially, speed, but you have to factor in that the platform is still a bicycle which has built in limitations to just how fast it can go and retain some degree of safety. I've said this many times here and I'll say it again. If you want speed and to keep up with traffic...go buy a motorcycle. Let me repeat...these are motorized bicycles. Ram air induction, boost bottles, NOS and all the rest are simply a waste of time and money. Fun, maybe to experiment with but the bottom line is that you'll end up with a bicycle...not a motorcycle. Go have fun, ride safe and be content with the fact that you don't have to pedal.
Tom

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Well spoken 2Door,
My 87lb tandem w/1 person goes 31mph.(stock 66cc kit) Way plenty fast & actually not that much fun at that speed either. Faster ya go the better the brakes have to be too.
Actually 'round 22 mph cruise w/my wife and I onboad is a comfortable speed & gets us around fine, and the fun factor never suffers. (way safer too)

Be safe,

Robert
Portage, Mich.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Fun, maybe to experiment with but the bottom line is that you'll end up with a bicycle...not a motorcycle. Go have fun, ride safe and be content with the fact that you don't have to pedal.
Tom
Hoo'ra! We're just out there to fly past the poor bastid's 'pedaling their arses off' up a hill, and to look good doing it, heh heh.

.wee.

Check out the google search at the top, and search "custom exhaust" alot of guys around here have your 'do-it-yourself' attitude(which is a good thing btw).

Oh and don't forget about porting both your manifolds(and case castings, ew) to get the most out of your little china girl:

http://motorbicycling.com/f13/bicycle-engine-basic-porting-16646.html

Good luck, and safe riding.
usflg