Question for "Friction Drivers"

GoldenMotor.com

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
My current ride is a Schwinn Landmark with a Stanon friction drive, 33cc R/S engine, 1” drive roller, and 60 psi tires. My current top speed on level ground is 22-23 mph. I normally cruise at around 18-20 mph and I need more “torque” for the hills around here. I don’t mind reducing my top speed for more power but I don’t want to spend $40.00+ to change if the difference is negligible. Will some one who has actually made the change tell me what the results were? What happened to speed and power when you went from 1” to 7/8” or 1-1/8” to 1”?

Not related but……
Who sells 49cc HS four stroke engines? Our sponsors sell kits but I can’t find just the engine alone. Will it “bolt up” without alterations to my Stanon friction kit? Some post said the Titan would.

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
This is an interesting question. I suppose all you need to do is multiply 7/8 X 20 mph and your answer is 17.5 mph. I don't know how that would translate on the hills. There would be more torque but would it be worth the top speed hit?

My 1.6 horsepower Tanaka motor is also a bit underpowered for my mild hills and strong winds. That's why I ordered my replacement kit with the one inch roller. I've estimated my top speed at about 20 mph. When I had a speedometer on the bike I knew how 27 mph was with my Golden Eagle kit and did experience some slower times. Mostly I ride at maximum speed.

I also want to know about 49 cc motors that would bolt directly to the Staton friction drive kit. The Honda costs plenty of money. The Honda name has a good reputation. I've owned other types of Honda engines and haven't ever had a problem with them. I have no idea about the Titan brand. It would be good if there were an independent user who could testify about their longevity.
daxtit

Smallwheels

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
In the end, it's up to how you and your individual setup performs on the hills around you. A negligible amount for you might be very satisfying for another rider.

I've used every friction roller size from 1.125" to 1.50". Each one had their positives and negatives. Since I need to keep up with traffic with very few hills, my favorite is the 1.5" spindle.

Gears on the bike is the biggest difference. With a 24-speed bike, pedal-assist plus ANY roller size would work for me.

On a single-speed bike, roller size is more important for hillclimbing.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
My commuter bke is a 20 year old Schwinn Mesa Runner hybrid with INNOVA slick tires. I had the same Stanton friction drive with RS engine with 1-1/8 roller. My top speed is 30mph, and I cruise between 16-17 mph. It's not the fastest bike on hills you need to give it a little help. I like this setup for its simplicity. I commute 6 miles round trip daily. In wet weather they are not very efficient but I can live with it. I just lift the roller and pedal my way in. In severe rain you could let some of the air out of the back tire and take it easy and it will get you home, but if you get on it too hard you will slip the tire on the wheel and cut the valve stem. Other than that I think its a good set up for short runs. I have close to 2000 miles on it with the same tires.
buzzard

Save the earth...it's the only planet with chocolate.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
The little homelite 2 strokes got a lot of kick. How do you do on the hills?
I used to run homelite 2 strokes in 1/4 scale model boats, we used to convert them into marine motors with water cooled head and tune pipe. It would really scream, I dont' know how many rpms it would turn up but my 1 hydroplane was clocked at 72mph. That's fast on the water. Just one of my old hobbies.
buzzard