Best Engine Kit For Worksman Front Loader Tricycle With Ice Cream Vendor Set Up

GoldenMotor.com
Apr 19, 2010
Valley Center
I need max torque. No speed. Pictures and specs are avialable at worksman cycles web page, just google it real quick, I can't post links yet toonew :(. Tricyle has a Shimoto7 speed rear axel. I am usingit to sell pre packaged ice cream treats. Just need help gettin up gentle hills and across grassy fields...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I usually play the 2 stroke game... but to me this screams for a 4 stroke with the new shift kit...

but you'll hafta ask the 4 stroke fellas 'bout that :D I suppose ya could go electric, dunno what range you'd want but you've prolly the room for batteries heh

As for the links, it just takes a coupla posts more - welcome to the place!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
In a typical day would the motor run very often or for very far? This is like a helper motor for a bike you mostly pedal? Would it matter to you or to your state if the motor was gas or would it need to be electric? Is the front wheel a drum brake model? More specifics would be helpful in people making suggestions. Off hand, a front wheel pancake electric motor comes to mind since it doesn't take up any more room (just the batteries) and nobody would object to electric. On the other hand a small electric motor elsewhere would allow you to keep that great Worksman heavy duty wheel which likely has a locking drum brake on it. In another couple posts you can upload pictures and that would help, too. Interesting project which I'm sure can be done. What do you visualize? What would answer your needs, even if you don't know how to go about it yet?
SB

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
Put a two stroke, expansion chamber, match port both intakes, etc. But, more importantly- if your gettin that Ice cream Worksman bike..... I'd like two drumsticks and a strawberry 50/50 bar when you're in L.A.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
This is just my 2 cents worth, I would go with a lifan or other brand 50cc honda clone with a 4 speed. I say this for a few reasons, #1 quality! these motors go through a more stringent quality control than a china girl. #2 the gears will help your low end power output if you gear it right. #3 if you are seriously going to do this professionally I don't think you want to have to tinker with it often or mess with mixing fuels, and last but not least I think if the bike is similar to the one pictured in the earlier post I just think it would be much easier to get mounted up. O and I would like 2 frozen snickers and some bon bons!

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Any 2 stroke should do fine with a 56T (tooth) rear sprocket or even a higher amount of teeth. Going up a hill with one of these would be death to a normal engine with a full cart of ice cream. This is the cheapest option. Four stroke could maybe be better but it's more expensive and would be a lot harder to mount on that trike.

Now that I look more closely at the bike I'm seeing that any engine is going to be a PITA to mount. Your best option could be to try and rack mount a Chinese two stroke engine ( the same engine as described in my first option). Or you could rack mount basically any small engine, 2 or 4 stroke.

Whatever you use in back, make sure it's a chain drive with a large sprocket and not a roller (friction) drive. I don't think you could get enough torque with a roller drive.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I think the problem here is not what engine, but where to put one. I have ridden one of these and the frame doesn't have enough room to fit an engine in it. Therefore I would go with a rear mounted 4-stroke from Dax and then just upgrade your rear spoke to a higher tooth. Stick with a multi-speed pedal drive, so you can pedal from corner to corner, then fire the puppy(engine) up when you need to move across town. 2 cents, L8R.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great idea Ice Cream. I visited their factory and asked about converting an ice cream bike into a hot dog cart. The CEOs answer was "Sure, we can do any thing" And he meant it! Really am a big fan and devoted customer of theirs. They do some great work.

But to answer your question and more what I was thinking for the hot dog cart version, I am going with a Harbor freight 79cc rack mounted over the rear wheel. More then enough power, great engine and is ridiculous cheap. It's only draw back is it is big but rack mounted on a trike, don't matter much. Just my thunking and any of the suggestions will work for ya. Like the ewheel ideas. Could get a large solar panel. What are you gonna do for refrigeration?

Again, great idea and best of luck. Please post how biz goes. I'm really curious.

.flg.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, I understand now, this has the single wheel in back and two up front. Sounds like some good suggestions and the Dax in back would be cool. Would you ever cruise along with this or is it strictly a creep along?
Dan, I was thinking about your hot dog cart and wondering if a hot dog side car would work as something you built yourself. Fasteddy's sidecar frame would support anything. Ice box down low using dry ice and above it the grill stuff. Then the bike could be multi-purpose and detach from the hot dog side car. Frankly, a tubular shaped side car would be best...
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very interesting thoughts SB. Hadn't thought about a sidecar. And think the Titan would fit the needs of a trike perfectly.

Detachable is a great idea. Got me thunking trailer with ball and hitch setup.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very interesting thoughts SB. Hadn't thought about a sidecar. And think the Titan would fit the needs of a trike perfectly.

Detachable is a great idea. Got me thunking trailer with ball and hitch setup.
On the reservation hot dogs are also referred to as 'tube steaks'. Hey, it's steak night! A trailer would be a really good way to go since it can all be home built and is pretty low tech. The bike itself will draw attention and instead of just asking questions about the bike they can talk and eat. Might also lead you to bike builds or motor sales at the same time. It sounds like a winning combination, frankly (did you get it this time?).
In the old days there was bitter rivalry between the Ojibwe (Chioppewa) and the Lakota & Dakota (given the name sioux by the Ojibwa when asked by the Europeans who those people were. The Ojibwe said they were sioux which means "snakes" and unfortunately that is now the officially recognized name for the Sioux Indians). Anyway, the rivalry continues, but now in the form of jokes instead of war parties. The Sioux ate dog meat, much frowned upon by the Ojibwe so this story is a reference to that.
His Saddle Stinks and Windy Boy had never left the reservation until the day they went to a big city. They wandered around some, more than a little bewildered at how different everything was and spotted a hot dog stand. Hot Dogs, it advertised. Looking for a taste of home, they both put their money down. Windy Boy unwrapped his and took a bite with some disappointment and asked his buddy, "What part did you get?"
Not that this has anything to do with ice cream tricycles, but its hot dogs anyway. Kind of on subject.
SB

Last edited by a moderator:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Go Electric!

When dealing with food, people and slowly moving parking spots in park settings, electric drive is the way to go. Quiet, CLEAN, no hassling with fumes, engine noise, fuel/oil spills and dirty hands while handling food.

A front hub motor would work. Lots of battery space on a tricycle.

My bike had a range of 50 miles, so more than enough for an ice cream vendor in a park.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
On the reservation hot dogs are also referred to as 'tube steaks'. Hey, it's steak night! A trailer would be a really good way to go since it can all be home built and is pretty low tech. The bike itself will draw attention and instead of just asking questions about the bike they can talk and eat. Might also lead you to bike builds or motor sales at the same time. It sounds like a winning combination, frankly (did you get it this time?).
In the old days there was bitter rivalry between the Ojibwe (Chioppewa) and the Lakota & Dakota (given the name sioux by the Ojibwa when asked by the Europeans who those people were. The Ojibwe said they were sioux which means "snakes" and unfortunately that is now the officially recognized name for the Sioux Indians). Anyway, the rivalry continues, but now in the form of jokes instead of war parties. The Sioux ate dog meat, much frowned upon by the Ojibwe so this story is a reference to that.
His Saddle Stinks and Windy Boy had never left the reservation until the day they went to a big city. They wandered around some, more than a little bewildered at how different everything was and spotted a hot dog stand. Hot Dogs, it advertised. Looking for a taste of home, they both put their money down. Windy Boy unwrapped his and took a bite with some disappointment and asked his buddy, "What part did you get?"
Not that this has anything to do with ice cream tricycles, but its hot dogs anyway. Kind of on subject.
SB
Lol Sir! I hope to enjoy a cup of coffee with ya some day soon. Your my first pick for a member on the board of directors of "Frank~N~Footers" (I wanted to do a "frankly" joke here but got notun')

.flg.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Dan,
We'll make our cup a virtual one and have it here at the forum. Glad you liked the story/joke. Even my Lakota friends thought it was pretty funny. I've found that generally Indian people have a great sense of humor and have always loved stories. I see that I mis typed Chippewa. Although Chippewa is the official name of the Ojibwa people it is not what they call themselves. They sound similar and the mistake in pronunciation is known to the Ojibwa as the white man's learning disability. The Cherokee call themselves Tsalagi, so somebody really had wax in their ears when they turned it into Cherokee. I don't know about the other tribes but would guess there are some big discrepancies. I also sometimes wonder how it is that the Lakota are in the Dakotas and the Dakota are in Minnesota. It's enough to make your eyes spin around. I am deeply honored to be a potential board member of Frank~N~Footers. Franks a lot! I'll have mine with chili & cheese...
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the problem here is not what engine, but where to put one. I have ridden one of these and the frame doesn't have enough room to fit an engine in it. Therefore I would go with a rear mounted 4-stroke from Dax and then just upgrade your rear spoke to a higher tooth. Stick with a multi-speed pedal drive, so you can pedal from corner to corner, then fire the puppy(engine) up when you need to move across town. 2 cents, L8R.
I agree. The 4 stroke would be more dependable. The new 4-G belt drive comes in rear mount also. And much quieter