Poll: What is it?

GoldenMotor.com

What do you consider them?

• Total voters

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
I think it depends on the way you build them. If you just slap a China kit on a bicycle, it's bicycle with a motor.

If you work on the motor a bit, adjust things properly, have lights, mirrors, speedo, front suspension etc it's a moped, and if you have all of the above plus gears (like a SBP kit or a Lifan) than it's a homebuilt motorcycle.

My build will be the last when it's done, and the only relation to a bicycle will be frame and pedals (latter to keep it legal-ish without insurance and reg).

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
motor assisted bike means nothing to me. personally i consider them all motorcycles (which includes mopeds) but these are mopeds more specifically because of the pedals (motor pedal)

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think it depends on the way you build them. If you just slap a China kit on a bicycle, it's bicycle with a motor.

If you work on the motor a bit, adjust things properly, have lights, mirrors, speedo, front suspension etc it's a moped, and if you have all of the above plus gears (like a SBP kit or a Lifan) than it's a homebuilt motorcycle.

My build will be the last when it's done, and the only relation to a bicycle will be frame and pedals (latter to keep it legal-ish without insurance and reg).
Is there really a Lifan motor option out there for a bicycle? Or did I misunderstand your post?

Last edited:

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
It is not a motorcycle. I've got motorcycles and if I run out of gas I can not pedal to the nearest gas station, if I have engine failure I can not pedal home however I can on my Motor assisted pedal bike or as much as you folks don't want to call it a MOPED (Motor - Pedal).

Carry on mates!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
mapbike=Motor-Assisted-Pedal-Bike, NOT Motorcycle and NOT MOPED and NOT just Bicycle.....a motorcycle is motor assisted only, a moped is a motorcycle with useless pedals, a bicycle is pedals only but, a MAPBIKE is a bicycle with a motor that will assist if you want it too or if you need it too but will function great either way, man power or gas power we have a choice that works very nice based on our preference none of the others listed will give you this freedom of choice, these mapbikes allow us to not only have our cake but they let us eat it too.....how great is that....! Oh I forgot to mention the fact that they are also much more fun than the rest as well, ( tinker, ride, solve issues, Fun Fun Fun......!)

scratglworider1:-||dance1

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Pedals on a moped useless? I've owned a few mopeds in my day and the pedals are simply very low geared as they are mostly just intended to get the motor running, but I wouldn't say their useless. Bottom line is they are mopeds( Motor or pedal propulsion). I think every one is afraid of the stigma associated with he word moped, lets face it no one wants to be the 40 year old virgin, right?!?

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
LOL, you've got that right... I think the "useless pedals" descrepancy is largely made up, I have ridden one or two "official" mopeds too and they pedals could get to about 5mph with average pedaling force, (increased of course because you were towing a motor and gas as well). My next build might even be considered a moped to those who believe in the "useless pedals" thing, if it works out with a Nexus and pullstart, the pedals will be just a bump-start formality.

I'm curious whether more purist-oriented bicyclists would rather call these

1- the least different from bicycles (MAPbikes) or

2- the most different (mopeds/motorcycles).

The first to associate with the mods we do, and the second to distance themselves from them.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I think every one is afraid of the stigma associated with he word moped, lets face it no one wants to be the 40 year old virgin, right?!?
My Whizzer is tagged a moped and it does not bother me at all. No worries about a stigma here..
I am 56 and have 3 children and 2 grand children so I don't care about what other people think. hehehe

Jim

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
For all practical purposes the pedals on a moped are "useless" this is just fact, example if you live 5 miles from the nearest store and you had a choice to ride a moped that had an engine that wouldn't run or the 10 speed mountain bike sitting right next to it, which would you choose? only a nut job would pick the moped because the pedals are not made for transportation they are mainly just a pedal version of a kick starter and not meant for use beyond that. on the other hand the mountain bike is a "bicycle" designed to be pedaled as for and as fast as you can. I will end my input on this here by just saying that this aint rocket science here, a bicycle with a motor is not a moped it is a bicyle that is motor assisted if you desire, 2 wheels yes, handlebars yes, pedals yes, motor yes, same function NO....! only simular, and I dont care what anyone wants to call it but if you call it a moped in the classic sense that is an incorrect labeling of the bike. It's a BICYCLE....! only my opinion no intention to offend anyone here.... :~}

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
wiki said:
Legal terms and definitions of low-powered cycles vary from state to state and may or may not include "Moped", "Motorcycle", "Motorized Bicycle", "Motorscooter", "scooter", "Goped", "Motor-Driven Cycle", and or others. A moped's speed generally may not exceed 30 mph (48 km/h) on level ground, even if it is capable of going faster. In a few states this number is 20 or 25 mph (32 or 40 km/h), and in most states, the maximum engine capacity is 50 cc (3.1 cu in). However, Kansas ("Motorized Bicycle" K.S.A. 8-126, 8-1439a) allows up to 130 cc (7.9 cu in).[16] Some states, like California, require pedals, while others do not. Virginia allows mopeds to operate at up to 35 mph (56 km/h). Some states, like North Carolina, require there to be no external gear-shifting mechanism.
Moped - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suspect this thread is simply makin' a mountain out of a molehill as even the states cant agree, evidenced by the "official" description that amounts to, "urm... yea - those crazy lil bikes" heh In the clutter and chaos of mine brain, it rolls like thus;

Motorcycle: No pedals, factory built & designed w/a engine.

Moped: Pedals, factory built & designed w/a engine.

Motorized Bicycle: Pedals (or without 'cause they were yanked off later), it started out factory built and designed to be a bicycle, thus without a motor until some madman got a hold of the poor thing and strapped some random internal combustion engine to it so they didn't hafta pedal nomo.

*shrug* As I see it, the distinction is "original intent" - ya can't make a moped a motorcycle by jus' pullin' the pedals off, a motorcycle isn't a moped even if it's a mere 50cc*, and a bicycle will still be a bicycle no matter how much we modify them, thus motor-ized bicycle. Yea, there's gonna be some gray areas - the above classifies vintage motorcycles as "mopeds" (1911 Harley had pedals w00t!), but there'll always be exceptions heh

...and so this poll is flawed by bias *shrug*

*You may notice I disregarded engine displacement as a qualifier, tho some states may disagree (logic & lawmakers? don't make me lol) I can't see how motor size makes a bit of difference. Although only imported for a single year (1982), the Honda MB5 was a great bike and a prime example of a perhaps miniscule, but still a motorcycle (I had two, I wish I still had 'em).
Honda MB50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MB5 Technical Spec - UK Honda MB5 Web Site

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pedals on a moped useless? I've owned a few mopeds in my day and the pedals are simply very low geared as they are mostly just intended to get the motor running, but I wouldn't say their useless. Bottom line is they are mopeds( Motor or pedal propulsion). I think every one is afraid of the stigma associated with he word moped, lets face it no one wants to be the 40 year old virgin, right?!?
The 40 part sounds good. Where do I sign up?
SB