Where to buy mounting hardware at

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hey there all!My name is Aaron I'm 17 I've been browsing through this wonderful forum for a few days gathering intake on motorized engine kits.I've learned quite a few things here already!

I have been having many problems since i got my engine kit through a ebay supplier.First off let me say this guy sold me a junk kit and has been nothing but problems and claims to have no warranty at all!I finally got everything up an running,a few hours later i notice the muffler is cracked in two different spots,i said to myself this is B****** another worthless product!Anyways i have been through quite a bit with bikes and now the engine kit witch leads me to here.

I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering.

1.What type of mounting hardware would work for a bigger tubing frame?
My frame is just as wide as the front motor mount and i can't seem to get longer studs/bolts through.
2.Is there somewhere online to buy the studding hardware or what would you recommend?

Any information in regards to mounting hardware/where to buy online at would be greatly appreciated Thank you!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thank you for the suggestions guys!I have a 15 year old giant that is 6011 aluminum alloy with a 2" tubing.The studs that come from the front motor mount do not clear the frame it self,it will grind into my frame.Now if i were to raise the engine just a little would that help with the clearance of the studs?I'm kind of clueless what to do here!Thanks

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I suggest an old intertube be used for vibrations anyways so if you put a couple of wraps of that around there then you can use that plate and the bolt heads shouldn't dig into your frame either...Bonus!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Using a spare intertube sounds workable!The thing is i am needing to raise the motor up because there is not enough spacing between the frame and the studs to put the bolts on..Do you think this motor mount would be successful Sick Bike Parts Its quite expensive to me but if it will work its worth it!

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
The complete kit available from sick bike parts even with shipping is cheaper than me buying the same or probably lesser quality stuff locally .
I have purchased local junk in the past.

FYI I glue my engines to the frame clamps with goop rather than an innertube.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Yeah i was thinking about looking for a U-Clamp locally along with some bolts and nuts but by the time i find all that I'll be out of more money.At first i didn't realize this job would be as difficult,especially not having the right tools is a pain in the ass.I think i found a new hobby that i will enjoy and this is it! Thanks again guys

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
dont forget to replace all the studs on motor mounts and exhaust with upgraded ones you can find at any true value or hardware store.. the chinese ones WILL break.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I replaced all the studs with heavy duty bolts hoping they won't rattle out.A friend of mine just gave me a nice Diamondback mtb for free!It fits just right dance1

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
welcome to the forum! im 16, and trust me these contraptions are always a work in progress, but it looks like these guys have you covered so far. this is the best place to get help.

happy trails

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for the welcoming man!I've gotten everything setup pretty much in two hours,going to take it for a spin here soon.I'll let you all know how it goes!Thanks again all

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Disregard the last message,I took it for a spin today and basically this motor is **** the cylinder blew to pieces,muffler blew to pieces and last but not least the ebay supplier won't honor this kit.So i ordered a new one from a different supplier and hope to have better luck with the next one.

bigwille

Aug 2, 2009
kansas
what i did was went to the hardware store and baught a stick of 6mm all thread for 3$, used a sand disk on my drill to bevle the edges on the studs that i cut just enough to clean up the threads on the end that got damaged when i cut them with a hack saw. changed the old ones out with the ones i made and it was all good. total cost $3 and i still have over 2 feet of all thread left to replace any studs that may get damaged. use the old bike tube thing too. easy as h...

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
Thank you for the suggestions guys!I have a 15 year old giant that is 6011 aluminum alloy with a 2" tubing.The studs that come from the front motor mount do not clear the frame it self,it will grind into my frame.Now if i were to raise the engine just a little would that help with the clearance of the studs?I'm kind of clueless what to do here!Thanks
just make your mount...i had to make one so i copied the "universal one" that came in my kit...get a small piece of flat iron,and a 2"u-bolt with nylock nuts...i would not try to put a bushing inbetween due to it just being something to wear out and make your mount come loose...measure your mounting stud spacing and drill the plate acordingly...then give yourself 2 holes separated by 2" ...bolt the plate to your motor dont try to use the studs and put the u-bolt around the tube...really easy to make and cheap...good luck with whatever you decide to do

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hehe thank you for the suggestion i had something similar in mind,due to the people that mounted my first motor on my Giant bike now with a hole in the aluminum frame,I'm not sure weather i can use that frame.My second kit is on a Diamondback outlook that was given to me witch I'm having much better luck with this bicycle with no problemsdance1 I am going to go to the hardware store an pick up the supplies,then get started on the (first build)