Chain Jamming Issues

GoldenMotor.com

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Anyone ever find themselves while riding in a situation where the motor chain was STUCK between the rear wheel spokes and sprocket ? Be good to know how to prevent those kinds of episodes.

Last edited:

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
I'd like to tightened the chain a bit more, but it could snap and also its harder to peddle. Thinking of attaching an inner ring strip guard to the sprocket. Don't mind if the chain falls off, but getting it stuck with the spokes is just utterly insane.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I don't even keep mine tight. It's a little sloppy. The alignment is perfect and the chain runs silently. No clicks or tings or dinks.. I had all those noises before I got it right.
If the chain is aligned, there is no force trying to jump it off the sprocket, and it won't.

This is the real benefit of the sprocket adapters over the rag joints.
They run true. No tensioner will fix a bad alignment.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
All the above are valid, yet a quality chain is most important when everything is aligned properly... some chains are notoriously shabby !

Best
rc

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Make yourself a chain guard. My chain no matter what I did never stayed on the sprocket. With a rag joint if you make it too tight it will move the sprocket off center too.

Attachments

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Just fastened my homemade aluminum strip chain tensioner guide, and so far...NO slippage. However, fitting the original chain guard has become an issue. So for the time being, am riding without it. There's a number of submitted bike photos on this forum that have no chain guards whatsoever. So what are the pros & cons of having chain guards ?