Pocket bike powered bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
I looked it felt weak so it is too small chassis
Not sure what you're saying here.. It is a small chassis, but then again it's a pretty small engine!
I have it all pulled apart in hopes of painting it over the winter... Any suggestions? I also have to figure something else out for the fuel tank..

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Basically I'm thinking of making a tank of similar shape to the peanut tank I had on it over the summer, just a bit smaller..

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'd recommend looking around moped dealers/breakers, particularly Italian ones. Failing that, some sort of small dummy tank over an ugly box or cylinder might be an option. Happy hunting.

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
No such luck with moped dealers here in Newfoundland.. No one has mopeds here! I am thinking about fabricating my own tank. I already mocked one up out of cardboard, but I'm not sure if the shape will work now. It was designed to be below the top rail and flush with the seat, but I've since cut the seat so I could fit the Harley tank. I'm thinking about redoing the seat pan anyways. Stil want to have the cafe racer look though.

Reactions: Smooth Ave

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Hey, nice bike and water bomber!
These guys don't know the challenges you are facing.

Think northern Maine guys, only hundreds of miles further north and more isolated.
With expensive shipping. And very limited hardware stores.

Makes down here in Nova Scotia feel downright metropolitan...

Good job and glad to hear from you.

Steve

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Ha ha you are right! I did once live in the big city of Halifax though! Thanks for the compliments! The water bombers are currently in winter maintenance.. So it the bike I guess! I'm still not sure on a colour scheme for the bike though.. I was thinking about keeping it rough, but I think it deserves to be cleaned up a bit at least!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
OK, let's see if we can't make aviation work here. If you have some lifed out 2 part rubber fuel tank sealant, you can make anything, and make it utterly leakproof.

Have you considered making a tank in the same manner as an aircraft fuel tank? A frame with skins screwed or rivetted to it? You could even incorporate the bike frame.

I'm fairly sure that in a landscape reliant on aviation and boats, there will be reasonable supplies of scrap aluminium at affordable prices ;)

Last edited:

NLbike

Sep 7, 2016
Appleton, NL
Hmm.. That does sound like a good idea! There is more than enough scrap aluminum at work and I have a bit of experience pounding rivets! I'm sure I can come up with something somewhat acceptable! I even have a bunch of expired sealant that I could use!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We're dealing in a hobby or artform where there are few constraints on what we make and how we make it. As an extra piece of information, I sealed a tank with some PRC thinned with acetone and sloshed round inside once, it worked fine, so absolute sealing of the shaped vessel you need is not strictly necessary during the construction.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are liquid and paste grades of differing cure times. Read the health and safety before using, the catalyst is to be treated with considerable respect. Clean off sealant from any surfaces that will be visible BEFORE it cures. It ain't going anywhere once it's set.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The product may also be known as Thiokol in North America. Whatever it is, it's designed to work in extreme weather conditions reliably for years. You wouldn't want something second rate when you're doing 600 mph and 5 miles up.