Tire fit question on Schwinn rims

GoldenMotor.com

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
I'm putting together some ideas for my second build, i have a Schwinn Speedster from approx 1966 with a 3 speed Sturmey. I don't know if these are S5 S7 or S? rims. In fact I just learned about the S rims today.

I would like to put some 26x2.125 fat tires with prewar tread on them from fleabay, but now i'm questioning whether they would fit. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. The forks and frame will be heavily modified, so i'm not worried about it fitting the bike, just the rims.

Build #1, still running strong. May need to sell it to fund build #2, we'll see how that goes.
pino.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
26" rims 26" tires = It Fits....

map

EDITED: the above advice is wrong and it has been made clear that the older wheels that take 1 3/4 width tires need a special tire for them and not standard 26" tires.

Thanks for correcting me fellas..... learn something new everyday!

Last edited:

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
That sheldonbrown site is what confused me and sparked this thread :)

I like mapbike's theory as well, going to let this bake a day or two and place an order. If they don't fit or look they way i'm hoping, i'll save them for another build.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have run the 26x2.125 brick pattern tread balloon tires on the narrow aluminum wheels and the narrow steel wheels that typically see 26x 1.95 or even narrower 26x 1.75 tires on them, I never had any issues with the big balloon tires on those wheels.

The pic I included here shows the bike with the big wide tires on the narrow wheels, the advantage to this set up was that I did not have any chain to tire clearance issues like I did when I tried to run the same size tire on the wide beach cruiser wheels.

map

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur... Older Schwinn rims need special tires!!
Even though the tire may say "1.75", you'll need tires that say 1-3/4". :/

Schwinn used to screw buyers like this by making them buy 'schwinn only' tires. :(

Post what rims you have & I'll try to find what you need to buy. ;)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That Sheldon Brown site I think is saying for optimal. But yes I had 1.75 inch width 26 inch tire knobby on an aluminum fairly skinny width rim and had no problems. The rear tire weight 60lbs and front tire 50lbs and never noticed any problem with bead popping out trail riding ruff.

Forgot my weight also added mostly over rear tire another 130lbs + protective riding gear weight and nap sac with extra canister of fuel ?

MT

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
venice is right. if you have the S5 skinny rims, you need to find the schwinn sized 26x1 3/4 tires. kenda makes some now.

there's a lot of old english bikes that take a 1 3/4 tire that's a different size than the schwinns.

i just picked up a 26" 1979 collegiate camelback and had to hunt down the right oddball schwinn tires.

a regular 26x2.25 cruiser tire won't fit.

my advice; get new rims.

also, you'll probably have to stretch out the frame for wider tires. i had to on my 24" speedster...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Learning something here I did not know, I'm no vintage bike buff so I just thought a 26" would work on the 26" wheels no matter how old or what make.

I stand corrected and am reading to learn now.

Thank you all who responded with much better advice than what I gave since mine was dead wrong.....LOL!

Map
.wee.

jehrbear

Jun 8, 2012
Missouri
Those smaller Kendas won't give me that look i was hoping for honestly. I may need to change direction and start with a different donor bike. Stretching and chopping isn't an issue, but skinnys aren't the look i'm going for. I may still use this frame (or parts of it), but i'll go another direction with the wheels.

Sometimes the best donor to start with is "whatever you have", but in this case i have a specific goal in mind.