How comfortable is your 'shop' ?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You guys are lucky, lots of space. I live in the City, my entire lot measures 24 feet by 100 feet. No driveway no yard no nothing but house and garage. I did manage to sneak a small Koi pond between house and garage.

All I have is the garage space. Had to move my car next door to their garage and pay rent to play with these silly motorized bicycles.

It is tight in here but my little heaven. Since semi retiring I was bored as ****. Golf boring, bar scene hard on a guy, big toys pain in the ass. motorized bicycles just right.

I suppose if things keep going the way they are the Harley will have to find a new home as well.
Nice looking Garage there Pluto, if things get to bad just pack up and move to Texas, we have plenty of room here........ long riding season and the laws are in our favor for motorized bikes, just be prepared for our summers....LOL! Hot Hot Hot!

Map
reddd

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Thanks Map.

love Texas. lived in Dallas for 10 years. Taught High school at HP. Great people. I then sold insurance to farmers and ranchers, been to just about every county in Texas. Yep Love the place. Problem is my wife likes it here.

I do plan to return at some point.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You guys are lucky, lots of space. I live in the City, my entire lot measures 24 feet by 100 feet. No driveway no yard no nothing but house and garage.
Ouch!
2400sf total land must suck, heck my under roof is 1800sf (about 800sf for the shop) and I don't have a garage and it sits on a 10,890sf lot in the city but that's how we do it in the desert, spread out with room to move.

I am trying to think of ways you could utilize the space you have with all those bikes and all that comes to mind is going vertical for storage.
Maybe just a couple sets of vertical tracks on the wall with a plank to hoist one bike up against the wall so you park another under it?

Just trying to help as it looks like you have been busy building motorized bicycles and they take some room ;-}

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Yep KC, it is tiny. My neighbor, one house down, built a 5400 sq ft house on his lot. It is 4.5 stories tall. Just takes a lot of dough that I do not have. LOL.

My garage has a flat roof, so going up not an option either.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Just moved out of a 2 car fully finished garage (except for the smooth finished concrete floor) with 3 (yes, 3) stupid/fancy dual pane (wall space robbing and burglary enticing) windows and a 64ish inch fancy oak bar counter w/bar sink and microwave. The thing looked and felt more like a room than a garage (even with my full sized truck, my wife's mini van, my motorcycle, bicycles, tools, and various other junk/stuff that my wife and I had in it). I must say that I practically lived in the thing (being married and all)...

Now I/we have a fully finished (w/concrete floor of course) 3 car with a mini fridge, microwave, and wall/floor space for just about everything I have and need (ya, right). Thankfully, it's not as darn stupid/fancy as the last place. It has a large utility sink, 40 inch "left-over" bath cabinet (w/ a solid top), and an old PC and office file cab to go along with my work bench and horizontal shelving. It even has a couple of HVAC registers (not yet sure if this is meets "code" or not). And, of course, I have a sound system (that consists of an old class AB Pioneer receiver w/15 inch furniture speakers). One of the best things about this garage is that oil spills, paint over-spray, and other normal garage "wear and tear" is perfectly OK. All-in-all it should be useful and more than comfortable enough for me. The place is a "moving-in" mess right now, but I figure I'll have it pretty much "setup" in about a year.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks Map.

love Texas. lived in Dallas for 10 years. Taught High school at HP. Great people. I then sold insurance to farmers and ranchers, been to just about every county in Texas. Yep Love the place. Problem is my wife likes it here.

I do plan to return at some point.
We'll be glad to have you back....

Map
reddd

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Pluto, you might be an addict. (Don't ask me how I know)

Just part of the fun.

I agree. Beats the heck out of chasing a little ball only to whack it out of view with a club again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL Pluto, you might be an addict. (Don't ask me how I know)

Just part of the fun.

I agree. Beats the heck out of chasing a little ball only to whack it out of view with a club again.
LOL, my advice to golfers. Take that little ball, don't hit it with a stick anymore, put it in your pocket and go home and do something constructive, creative or productive.
I always agreed with George Carlin on golf. "An arrogant, elitist and totally pointless game".

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hey now! Golf balls are not the problem!
I used to have a blast hitting golfballs as hard as I could in random directions with a tennis racket in the back yard, then waiting to see if any windows broke or someone started screaming....
Also had a lot of fun shooting them out of homemade cannon...
You would not believe how far a golf ball will bounce on a highway...
Of course....I'm MUCH better now. :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
LOL, my advice to golfers. Take that little ball, don't hit it with a stick anymore, put it in your pocket and go home and do something constructive, creative or productive.
I always agreed with George Carlin on golf. "An arrogant, elitist and totally pointless game".

Tom
Well...
There is more than one way to play golf which I learned as a teen in a city full of courses including a country club course in our community.

Our house wasn't on the golf course but 3 of my good high school buddies were and you can have a lot of fun on a golf course at night.

But for daylight golf all of us played and as we got older (married, kids, bla bla bla) we would play games like Bingo-Bango-Bongo for money to keep it fun but it was more than that, it was 'Guys day out' no women allowed, and for 4 or 5 hours we would go to a beautiful grassy 'park' and play on golf carts while a pretty woman would stop by every 3 holes or so with ice cold beer and food and catch up on all the guy talk.

Like any sport it sucks if you suck at it and it is frigg'n hard game to play but with 3 good friends with you that play at your level I absolutely loved it and miss not being able to play anymore.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
For me, golf is a nice walk spoiled. I'm more dangerous to the groups playing the holes ahead or behind me. Brutal slice, wicked hook, everything I hit (used to) turn 90º from the direction I tried to send it.

My shop has been changing lately. We cleared out a bunch of 'stuff' from the garage, so we could clear out the spare room in the house for a friend to stay with us. On the upside, we got rid of a bunch of stuff we really haven't needed in 6 years (since we moved in here) and even though the piles in the garage are a bit bigger, I managed to tighten it up to get another couple of feet of work space.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I have two areas claimed around my house, the garage and the basement. Currently my garage is filled with stuff when my daughter moved out of her place and one of my miata engines, transmission etc. ...But there is still a wee bit of space to work in thank goodness. Winter has set in here but hopefully in the spring I can make the shop more enjoyable, as enjoyable as a one car garage can be.

The basement is filled with silly things like guitars and tube amps and of course practice space for my band. I also have all my reload equipment in there and hope to set up another bench to work on engines once I can gather more funds.

Golf, now there's a subject.
I'm actually a pretty good golfer and my brother gets upset that I out play him even though I don't really practice, heck I might play every few years at this point in my life. My secret? I couldn't give a flying leap about the game or most of the people that play the game of honor lol. The last round I played was a couple years ago (so I'm due for another) and it was a short 9 hole course that I made par on.

Anyways I'll get some shop pics up when I get something's cleaned out lol.

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Forgot to say that most of my work is being done at my buddies garage. He used to build whizzer bike or replica whizzer bikes back in the day for a local company now defunct and used to be a motorcycle mechanic and is still an avid bicyclist. Basically he is my wheel and pedal mentor.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
You ever been chased by your psychotic crazy insane pregnant wife with a golf club ?
I'm here to tell you it was not a pretty sight .
20 years later I still find myself looking over my shoulder once in awhile .

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
My work shop is a long L-shaped room in the corner of my basement.

It looks crowded and cluttered in these photos, but is actually pretty well organized with labeled tool racks, storage, and separate work stations for power tools.

Actual bike storage/parking is in a old shed out back. Welding is done at my Brother-n-laws shop.

I do a fair amount of wooden projects here too.

Here’s a couple composite pics.

-Kirk

Attachments

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
You ever been chased by your psychotic crazy insane pregnant wife with a golf club ?
I'm here to tell you it was not a pretty sight .
20 years later I still find myself looking over my shoulder once in awhile .
Lol.

Believe it or not my crazy ex devil of a wife was completely normal when she was pregnant with my daughter. Same effect though. Looking over my shoulder and my wallet.....

Dan.