can a shimano coaster e-110 hub be flipped for left side drive?

GoldenMotor.com

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
Anyone know if the Shimano E110 coaster hubs can be flipped for left side drive? By this I mean the guts of the hub removed and installed so that the sprocket is on the left side and brake arm on the right?

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
i don't see why any threads would need to be reversed. if the hub shell is symmertrical i would think you could just install all the internals opposite. unfortunately i do not have my hub in front of me to see if it is symmetrical or not.

Last edited:

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hard to see the part no. but I'm talking about part #11 that pushes part #9 to activate the brake action,it would turn the wrong way if flipped,right?....

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
... By this I mean the guts of the hub removed and installed so that the sprocket is on the left side and brake arm on the right?
if the hub shell was symmetrical (it isn't) then if you did what you're thinking above, it would be the exact thing as putting the wheel on backwards, with the drive sprocket on the left.

then when you pedaled (or powered) forward, it would lock up the brake. if you pedaled backwards, you'd go backwards.

you'd have to literally reverse engineer the hub, meaning you'd have to get an opposite threaded driver (part 11) and the clutch cone (part 9.)

the coaster brake works like this; as you pedal forward, the threaded driver screws into the clutch cone, taking the pressure off the brake shoes.

when you back pedal to stop, the driver unscrews from the clutch cone, and the cone pushes under the shoes, driving them up into the hub shell.

to reverse the drive, you'd need to reverse the threads.

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
thanks guys, i was having a hard time wrapping my brain around this and you saved me the effort of trying it an finding out it wouldn't work.