Motorized Bike BOAT

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The fiberglass wouldn't be essential. It would just add rigidity and keep the dings down. I've seen boat docks supported with styrofoam blocks with no skin. The trick is to have a rigid frame on which to mount things. The foam would serve only as floatation with no structural stress placed on it.

Tom

Afterthought: Instead of fiberglass, you could have the blocks heatshrinked with that material they use to winterize boats. A strong polymer which would protect the foam somewhat from dents and dings as well as giving the pontoons a nice finished look. Of course you'd have to carve the foam into some nice swoopy-curvy shapes :)

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
Steerage you ask? you could get some of those discs, that covered the spokes on my huffy BMX bike from the 80's. you also see them on velodrome bikes i think. Put one on each side of the front wheel and you got a rudder.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
BRAVO!!!!

Really, really cool. Was surprised how quick she wanted to take off in the vid. Was really cool to hear how excited your wife was when your MBB took off. Can go far with a good partner!

(MBB, Motor Bike Boat)

The old steam powered steam boats didn't have rudders like boats and ships do today. They were up forward so the vessel turned more like a car then boat. It is far less stable though. Just thinking a solid wheel (no spokes) Just rambling as ya got me thinking.

Again, awesome!

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thats too crazy cool ....... next forum ......amphibious mb's .......what was the name of those lil cars that could go straight off the street into the water?
Gary

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have seen many bikes that just amazed me with the talent and ingenuity put into them ever since i started the forum. this one knocked me off my seat. NICE JOB!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
RE: NunyaBidness: Marine grade grease is a great idea! I'll visit my local shop today....
Yeah, it just came to me when I was posting. I really was hoping to see some of the more experienced members here answer your questions, in your original post. I reckon they are just too fascinated by what you're doing. As am I, but I really want to see how this progresses and that was the best I could come up with.
I'm lookin' forward to seein' what all you do to improve your design so I can copy it.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
cool idea.
septic line,the pvc stuff can be found in quite large diameters.
a couple fittings,elbows and caps would make nice floats.
we made water troughs from this stuff for livestock,used screws to hold it together
was very tough stuff.

the pipes we used were 10 or 12" in diameter.
the floating dock billets are great for flotation,shape easy and the shrink material is a great idea.
need to find a sand tire like the dune buggys use,would grab a little more water too.

looks like fun,too.

hey,get billets,carve out enough room for a couple paddlewheels,a friction wheel drive and chain to reverse rotation.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Really cool! Definitely keep us updated on your progress. You just reminded me of my pie-in-the-sky dream of building a motorized bicycle with deployable wings to allow it to fly!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
LOL, so ghetto :D

I've used 6" PVC drain pipe for high power rocket bodies but this is great. I'm going to have to think on this ;)

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
What part of Ct are you in? I'm at the Ledyard/Old Mystic line. Let me know when you're making your next test run and maybe I can ride my bike down to watch/help.

Roger

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
Wow! I feel so honored so many awesome people, even the FORUM founder commented on my project! Thanks for all the support. I'll keep updating as I improve on the design of the bike/boat.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
When i saw the word boat, sirens went off in my head! I can't wait to hear more!!! I'm excited! This is definitely on the to do list!

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
Hey Roger! I'm in Bridgeport area, so that's pretty far to ride haha
Roger, road trip....

(I'll buy the coffee)
This ride is do-able..shft. It would be about 100 miles each way if we took Hwy 1 down along the coastline. I don't know if I trust my china girl motorized bicycle that far. I've got a Preddy sitting in the garage, but haven't even figured out what bike I want to get to mount it on yet.