gardener turned mechanic

GoldenMotor.com

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
howdy folks!

i'm not new to this forum, but i am a new member of it. i live in a small city out in berkshire county of massachusetts, andwork at eastover resort as the landscape architect. but in my spare time i put these motorbikes together and design parts as i need them. i have a grubee skyhawk 66cc on a royce union with a ragjoint 44 sprocket, pirate cycle ported carb throat, slightly modified muffler, special rubber motor mount. it goes 34.7 mph, but 26 is comfortable.

i am in the process of starting a business selling installations and fully assembled bikes, and have been sponsored by a local business owner to make a prototype for him to show around. its a v frame with the ezm honda kit on a hd axle with blowbyu's 62 tooth machined aluminum sprocket, plus many extras.
o my goodness! lunch break is over, gotta go: pics and more info later!

toodle pip and cheerio!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Glad you've joined us. Share some pix of your build/s.
Have fun, ride safe.

Hey, just a thought; how do you get rid of voles? Or do you have them in Mass.? They're killing my juniper shrubs.
Tom

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
Re: i know this may look weird

i realize that in order to post pictures i have to post, at the least, three times?!!
so please some one stop me ( if it is unadvised) before i write three posts with the words: hi hello how are you?
or icould post elsewhere with useful info.:rolleyes:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Re: i know this may look weird

i realize that in order to post pictures i have to post, at the least, three times?!!
so please some one stop me ( if it is unadvised) before i write three posts with the words: hi hello how are you?
or icould post elsewhere with useful info.:rolleyes:
Welcome to the forum. Your among friends post where ya need to! We all like use full info! ;)

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
its a bike forum, i know

sorry 2door, i forgot to answer your question!

you have to delete the voles. piping your engine exhaust to the hole is simply the most effective way, but you have to find their holes, which could take a while. to protect your junipers buy a plastic tree collar and wrap it a million times around the trunk of your juniper if that is the part attacked. if it is the branches, spray castor oil on them, and place traps all over the place, baited with peanut butter. either that or get the ultimate vole killer: kitty! or your 12 gauge and get your sodas and your armchair to hang out nearby. you'll blow away their miniature minds for sure! :eek: sorry! i don't like voles.

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
isolation motor mount,etc

heres the pics!
#1 my first bike, which at around 27 mph started to turn your bottom end, legs and all, into vibration jelly! sold it for 200.00 bot 2 more engines, and got busy.
#2 my personal ride, very beat up and tweaked, as it is the guinea pig for any invention i come up with. leaks a bit of gas from the gas line as you can see.
#3 the motor mount i invented for complete isolation of the engine from at least the front tube.please dont take my idea and sell it! i could lie to you and say it's patented, but i'd make God sad, so i wont. dont make me sad. you can use this idea for you own bikes in personal use, just dont make money off me!.
#4 top speed on this bike.
#5 here's how i hooked up the throttle on my gx50. i took apart the governor system a little bit, connected the long arm to the push tab with a piece of wire, bent part of the throttle tab over, having cut a notch in it to allow the peice to bend fully, and then cut a line into the lower tab, the part you push up or down to speed up or down(for lack of words!) threaded the cable through the perfectly placed hole in the top tab and slid the cable end into my cut in the lower tab. up top by the carb i took the larger spring from the original governor set up and connected it to a bolt in the ohv cap and to the secondary hole in the throttle(pin? maybe its called that:the black part!) and then took a peice of hard wire, connected it from the 3rd hole on the pin to the long arm coming up from the governor assembly. hopefully that was understandable. look at the pics.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am doing very good thank you:D
Goat,
That ain't no vole. At least not like we have here in CO. Ours are black, or almost and they look more like small rats. Very short tail, all mouth and teeth. I've caught 10 so far in a multi-catch trap using peanut butter bait. I've been told and read to kill them with zink phosphide but apparently you can't buy it in Colorado without a permit or you have to be a licensed exterminator.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
2 Door see if the little buggers take to this stuff? I had a dog one year right at winter/fall figured out he could jimmy the back French doors open. Any how mice moved in from the neighbors I guess? I tried the Mexican mouse trap.

Which consisted of a can suspended on a stiff piece of wire through the rim of a 5 gallon bucket. Smeared peanut butter on the can. The little buggers could not reach the peanut butter and would jump from the rim of the bucket onto the can. The can would roll over and drop them into the bucket ''full of water'' Was not good enough.. MEXICAN MOUSETRAP / TRAMPA MEXICANA PARA RATON - YouTube

Then I use the electric mouse trap the one that zaps them. I liked that one the most. If I was up late at night the dogs would perk up. There was these zapping noises like a stun gun and shrieking. I know sounds cruel but we were not going to share living quarters. lol. These guy's don't wast time trying to multiply. I got this party was over. Never had a problem again. http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/rat-poison

It dehydrates them some how and they turn to dust. Done deal..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Kewl bikes MacAlpine. These bikes sure are addictive! I remember my first ride. That ruined me lol. Then I got my friends into the hobby as well.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice work, man. Did you fasten the tank down over the cable stays welded to the tank or did you have them ground off? I had mine fastened down too close to one and ended up getting a pinhole in the tank where they met.

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
hey ctripps

howdy and thanks for posting. no, i didnt clamp it down right over the cable stays. i made a wooden spacer that fit the curve of the tube and the curve on the underside of the tank. the side that faced the tube had notches in it for the cables to run over. works great! i'll post a pic later.

macAlpine

Sep 6, 2011
pittsfield mass
vole hole finder

heres what the desperate gardener could do (i hope this doesn't get me banned:)make mini cheese sandwiches and stick a fish hook through them. tie a long line to the hook and secure your line roll to the juniper. come back an hour later, follow the line, and pull out the little midget chinensis chewer!
next get some tubing and a car and smoke his buddies out! except they wont be walking out. the beetles may backpack some pieces on their way out the door.

this what happens at 9:40 p.m.. bed time was eons ago!
zpt

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Re: hey ctripps

howdy and thanks for posting. no, i didnt clamp it down right over the cable stays. i made a wooden spacer that fit the curve of the tube and the curve on the underside of the tank. the side that faced the tube had notches in it for the cables to run over. works great! i'll post a pic later.
I'll have to try that, I have some scrap wood from a few projects around. I've been using strips of a thin, heavy-duty rubber material that I get sometimes at work. (The rubber sheets are put on the floor of a truck, and then a pallet is put on, and it's supposed to help keep the skid from sliding.) On my second build we had to work around cables running on the top of the tube, so a couple of strips of metal that were a tich narrower than the space between the cables sandwiched between a rubber strip on the tube and a couple of strips inder the tank has done well.