A hello from a grumpy old-man ;-)

GoldenMotor.com

johnpeter

Jun 13, 2011
SoCal, Los Alamitos
Cutting to the chase.
Over the years i've toured on motorcycles, BMW Airheads(don't like the feel of the motor one-bit, ymmv), Moto Guzzis(love them) and my current BMW K75s, plus two sport-cars.
Now i'm gonna do it on a motor-bicycle.

Bought a GEBE RS35cc kit in 6/07 but life and taking care of an ageing parent got in the way for more years than i care to count.

If you care to google images, the bicycle in ? is a teal 2010 GT Sanction 2.0.
Trailer is the BOB IBEX(w/suspension) that will get a MUCH better self-built wheel for a high pressure tire.
Wheels will be up-graded to Velocity Phychos 36 spoke in 4cross lacing wire-tied, if the spokes do not go past perpendicular with the axle using Velocity hubs. if they do, 3cross will be done. Sapim Strong spokes/nipples are to be bought along with the new Parktool TM-1 tension-meter. I have built atleast 20 pairs of bicycle wheels over the years but w/o a tension-meter.
The three tires will be the most excellent Shawalbe brand. Not cheap but VG indeed. Just read crazyguyonabike blog, guy rode a pedal-powered recumbent both ways on The Dempster Hwy(AK) w/o a flat on the same tire. Nuff-said.
Gotta figure on fenders for the bike. Mmmm.
The best chainrings for my use will be Middleburn, made in the UK.
Gotta figure on 12volt lights. Like the 35watt LED fog lights ATM. Battery will prolly be in the BOB trailer.

If on test runs the RS 35cc seems abit under-powered... a Tanaka 40cc will be had!

I'm 64, in decent shape all things considered and will be pedaling both with & w/o power. A long into i know but it commits me. I do not suffer fools well so my limit my posting. Do not care for the Chinese strokes one-bit. Was a member at another board for awhile and found far to many silly childern there. This board seems quite mature for the subject at hand and truely am looking forward to helping others as well as learning a thing or three.

OH! In spite of the fact that i have bulit several computes my abilities at posting are limited. It will be a small effort to post pictars as this build is done.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
..." I do not suffer fools well " ...

OK John, I can accept that.

Welcome to the online discussion here!

Sounds to me like you have studied most everything in detail before making decisions.
Is there anything you need an opinion upon?

Personally, I feel the china engines are a valid option upon the playing field we are presented. If you are adverse to that, so be it.

I am particularly interested in doing the best I can with what I have to work with.
If I can offer an opinion towards your goals, I'd be glad to.
Best
rc

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Happy times are happy times. I'm glad to have one, it looks really cool. Everyone drools over it and asks me lots of questions. People that I don't even know drool over it, and ask me how to get one. It happens almost every time I go out on it.

I will never build another.

On the other hand, the bike I like, the friction drive 3 speed stretch cruiser with the 4 stroke draws zero interest.

Oh well. Just shows that looks do matter - :)

Welcome. And yeah, we need pics - :)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi JohnPeter, welcome to the forum.

I have a GEBE kit, originally had the Robin/Subaru EH035 on it, then upgraded to the Tanaka PF4000, next step will be a Harbor Freight 52cc auger engine.

Looking forward to seeing your builds, and please post pics.

johnpeter

Jun 13, 2011
SoCal, Los Alamitos
Thanks all!

Local ride-ins? Sure thing when this is done.
Back in '07 i was reading about the China strokers with bronze wrist-pin bushings. YIKES!
I raced Mercury outboards back in the late '60s and know what two-stroke quality is. ;-)

As far as moving up from the RS35cc only riding it will tell. I really do need to pedal to maintain my health.(morning resting pulse=68... BP=115/74) An auger motor? Mmmm. But i do want good MPG.

No offence was intended as i do understand the low cost and fun factor of a local ride ONLY cheap motor. Had a mini-bike in the late '50s with a real cheap Clinton motor. A real smoker of a stroker. :-D

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Hi John, It is good to see another grumpy old man on here. I am grumpy enough with out all the frustration my MB has caused in my life. But I have got in sorted out thanks to the folks on this fourm and all the words of wisdom and encouragement. Im over in Long Beach. I am a formern motorcycle racer/restorer I built mostly Nortons had a 100s air head BMW. & have now done up a sports car.. Good to see you.