My Simplex build, almost complete

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Please share any build up photos, and tell us what work that you've performed on restoring your Simplex ???

Sharing your experience restoring your Simplex might help another builder, with their own Simplex restoration!

Thanks for sharing your experience & being a member of our forum.

Peace Crazy Horse.

trooper82

May 12, 2010
Illinois
Hello all,
All the main parts with the exception of the wheels, motor and drive components are Simplex items and were picked up on ebay over the last 11 months. The front and rear wheels are Worksman 26x2.25 and the rear wheel sheave is whizzer. The jack shaft assembly, engine mount, clutch, chain, grips and throttle were bought from “mfgsupply.com”. The headlight, fuel filter (yet to be installed) and kickstand mounting plate are Cushman Scooter reproductions but the parts are the same as Simplex. The engine is a B&S 3.5 HP, pull start no kick starter.
This is my first build but hasn’t been too difficult as things went together pretty well primarily due to all of you on this forum and the posts of your builds. My greatest challenge was the welding as I hadn’t done any since high school shop class 30 years. I had to fabricate a brake pedal and mounting. I also had to fabricate the supports for the foot boards and for the kickstand.
I purchased the OD paint from Brownells part #987A. The Army unit markings I devised from some reference material that I have and some resources on the web.
I only got a chance to take it on a quick 5 minute ride until the carb puked out (rebuild kit is on order). Suspension wise it’s not too bad, but then I’m 6’ 180 lbs. If you’re on the taller side then you’d probably be a bit cramped and if you’re on the heavier side then you’d more than likely max out the seat spring. My guesstimate is it will do about 20 – 25 MPH which is fine with me. In keeping with the original Simplex design it only has a rear drum brake so stopping power is limited at best.
Items left to do are to fabricate an exhaust system, redo the fuel lines and filter, get the lights hooked up and working, and fabricate a chain guard.
I didn’t take any detailed pictures during mock up and build but if anyone is interested in anything specific I’d be glad to take some pictures or elaborate more and post. Just don’t look too close at my welds as I’m sure they would make some of you laugh and other’s cry.

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Nothing to apologize for on that bike. You are doing a killer job. I love those knapsacks as saddlebags. I don't know if you remember them or not, but back in the 60s-70s you could buy an aftermarket kickstart to put on Briggs motors used on the mini-bikes. If you would be interested in such it may turn up on Ebay. There was a fellow who had the Rupp mini bike parts who was selling them, but I don't know if that site is even up now. Not trying to tantalize you here, but just letting you you know of a possibility. Goodluck on the rest of the bike and it is looking so good. :-||