49cc more expensive than 66cc?

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
I've noticed that 49cc kits seem to be more expensive than the 66cc kits, which doesn't make much sense to me. I'm pretty much set on a 49cc kit as the last thing I want to wrangle with is the law, but it's a real bummer to see how much more they cost. Any reason for this?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Supply and demand, most places only the 49 cc's are legal. That honestly is probably the only reason, other than that there is not really much more product in the 66 cc motors than the 49.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
But there is no stamp, I would go with the 66 no one will be able to tell the difference. If your still set on the 49 then bless you for wanting to be honest.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Another way to say it is that they make probably 10 times as many 66cc engines as they do 49cc's. The larger production run lowers their cost to produce each engine. Any product made in smaller quantities costs more per unit, this is true in all industries. It's like a giant store selling at lower prices than the little guy.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
But there is no stamp, I would go with the 66 no one will be able to tell the difference. If your still set on the 49 then bless you for wanting to be honest.
Not that I don't believe you, but a friend of mine said that in order for ANY motor to be legal, it has to be clearly marked. Now he's no pro on this subject, and if that is in fact true, you just swayed me to a 66cc :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree with Terron. First yr on a "80" (we had yet to find out that the Chinese measure them differently) I worried. They do look identical and truth be told, aside from a lil more umph on hills, they are pretty much the same. If you measure them, they are the exact same size an' dimensions on the out side and have often wondered how many boxes they come in are correctly labeled.. If it would save ya a few bucks, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Also, some states have stopped going by cc's and might be irrelevant. Read your states web page. Even well meaning folks might not have the latest information or what you read online might be out of date.

Really not a big deal either way.

r.ly.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
When you say 49 cc are you referring to the 4 stroke? Im still new to this hobby, but havent seen any 49 cc 2 strokes only 48 cc and 66 cc 2 strokes. If its the 49cc 4 stroke than the extra cost is because its a 4 stroke.

hth,
Pat

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Pat I am pretty sure the motor in question is The 2stroke China girl engine we all love so dearly. There is a thread around here somewhere explaining the difference in measurements from china and USA. So the 80cc is truly "around" 66cc and what is claimed to be 49cc is closer to 40 "something" cc.

And if it hasn't been said before Welcome to the forum.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH man! If it wasn't bumming you out, would be funny. I'm always making fun of the "expert's" bad advise and now I are one. add an extra 0 to it and if asked, "ayuh, its a 660cc. (adding a 6 would be a bad joke but would crack me up)

Really, no one has ever bothered me about it. Here the law changed in 2008 but had much larger then 50cc engines b4 that. But bottom line is your worried and am sure it is every body's goal to be of help.

Remember the line from Animal hose? "Face it, ya messed up an' trusted us"

Want my phone number so ya can yell at me? I'm not making light of this but would love to call a few of the experts my self, snork.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If by "stamped" you mean a small metal plate w/two pop rivets then yea - I suppose the Skyhawk is stamped... but none of the ones around here have any more than that *shrug*