jaguar paint?

GoldenMotor.com

kansasmotor

Jan 30, 2010
lawrence kansas
i'm painting the fuel tank on my schwinn jaguar because the factory black coat had a lot of drips and orange peel going on, but i can't find the right shade of blue. i know that a few weeks ago i saw a thread that mentioned the exact paint but i can't find it anymore. any help would be greatly appreciated because we all know you can't ride anywhere with a grungy fuel tank ;)

keep on riding, kansasmotor

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Kansas,
I found two that were close. Neither are an absolute perfect match but close enough that you will be hard pressed to see the difference. Coincidentally, these paints also match the blue used on a Huffy that I built for my nephew.

DupliColor automotive touchup paint: Ford Royal Blue, code # DSFM 340

Tamiya model car paint: Deep Metallic Blue, code # TS-53

A word of caution. Neither of these are gasoline resistant. You'll need to top coat them with a good clear coat. Don't try Duplicolor clear. It doesn't like gas either. I've had good luck with model airplane clear. It will take gasoline, alcohol, nitromethane and just about anything else you want to throw at it. Always paint indoors because as you know, there's 'dust in the wind'. Good luck and let's see some pictures of your finished bike.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

kansasmotor

Jan 30, 2010
lawrence kansas
wow that's what i love about this forum, quick knowledgeable answers. thanks so much for the help guys( i was pretty sure it was a duplicolor, but i had no idea what the shade was) this makes my day.
@2door unfortunately i know all about duplicolor not being gas resistant ( i spent about a week stenciling flames on a friends motorcycles fuel tank only to have it ruined in a day :-||)
again thanks so much for the help, i'll post pictures as soon as i can

-kansasmotor

oh wow i just got that dust in the wind pun :)

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
wow, *****in color there 2 door. like what youv got goin on there.like the coil location, the matchin paint scheme on the motor, custom seatpole. cool bike.