"Why you put an engine on your bicycle?" and best answer goes to...

GoldenMotor.com

Why you put an engine on your bicycle? Best answer poll.

• It's better than putting pedals on a motorcycle.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • It's lots of fun, and I was bored.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I was bored and I want to annoy you.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • It has better mileage and I get some exercise.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • It's legal!!!

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Pollution is better than perspiration.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I like riding bicycles but don't like to pedal.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • It was a gift and can't return it, coz I like it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Almost every comment here is good enough for me.

I always wanted a bicycle with a engine, just for short distance errands.
Also, I am a Geocacher and I like biking. When a new geocache comes up I can get to it fast with my china girl. When they are within 10 miles of my home. And I guess I am a dog, cuase I Love the wind in my face.

It is funny when someone says "YOUR CHEATING" I just shrug my shoulders and say Only one I am cheating is the Oil Companies. They do not know what to say, then I say, can you go to the store and home in your car for around .05 cents.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I saw my first motorized bicycle at a car show about two and a half years ago. I was mezmorized because it was something I had always wanted to do. I've been involved with things with motors since I was very young and putting a motor on a bicycle is something I had never done. I was intrigued...and I had a bike. The rest is history. I have no idea how long this fascination will last but as long as it does, I'm having fun. And at my age anything fun is worth whatever it takes to continue. Just starting my 4th project and there'll be others. Thanks to all of you here for making the hobby even more enjoyable.
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hey My Friends, I Have An Answer That Few Have!! Lol "Because I Have Not Had A Motorbike For 59 Yrs And Thought It Was Time To Get Another One" How`s That One?? Lol. I Sold My 2003 1100cc Star Classic Last Yr (2008) It Only Had 2100 Miles On It. I Ride The Motorbike More, Shorter Rides Though. I Had To Get My 2 Cents In. Later Dudes. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
OK hear's the real reason . I am one of those people who lack common sense I can't have a motorcycle I will die if I had one it would start off careful and cautious and end up in a emergency room I know this from past experience have the scars to prove it ,a top speed of 30 mph is just about right sized to keep me on my toes. so that plus everything you guys have said see you on the road Bob

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
Hated pedaling as child, mini-bike infatuation, and would take long bike trips across Brooklyn, NY. In 1964, we moved to what was then a rural area of Staten Island. So.....
When 13 years old (1966) had a welder fab a plate for $7 so I could mount a lawnmower engine on an "English Racer". No pedals, belt and pulleys on left side from engine to crank, chain on right side to rear, wrap cord pull start, no brakes, string for a throttle. Was blasting down a winding stretch of road near my house, where traffic would slow behind me before I could shoot into a grocery store parking lot and shut it down. Well, my dad was in that line of traffic, threw my bike in the trunk (big trunks back then) and I was done. I showed him and bought a Lambretta scooter for $50. He also confiscated that one.
Still a thrill having a powered bicycle.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hated pedaling as child, mini-bike infatuation, and would take long bike trips across Brooklyn, NY. In 1964, we moved to what was then a rural area of Staten Island. So.....
When 13 years old (1966) had a welder fab a plate for $7 so I could mount a lawnmower engine on an "English Racer". No pedals, belt and pulleys on left side from engine to crank, chain on right side to rear, wrap cord pull start, no brakes, string for a throttle. Was blasting down a winding stretch of road near my house, where traffic would slow behind me before I could shoot into a grocery store parking lot and shut it down. Well, my dad was in that line of traffic, threw my bike in the trunk (big trunks back then) and I was done. I showed him and bought a Lambretta scooter for $50. He also confiscated that one.
Still a thrill having a powered bicycle.
Great Story Mario. Really would make a great short story. Should write it down even if on a blog. Is a cool glimpse.

I was a preschooler in the Bronx 1968 or so. Lost my first fist fight in an alley on Baily AV, lol. Scared the bejibas out of me. I was 4 and he had a stick yelling "you better run"

2 late, I already was.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
OK hear's the real reason . I am one of those people who lack common sense I can't have a motorcycle I will die if I had one it would start off careful and cautious and end up in a emergency room I know this from past experience have the scars to prove it ,a top speed of 30 mph is just about right sized to keep me on my toes. so that plus everything you guys have said see you on the road Bob
Couldn't have said it better myself. One day I found myself going airborn at 150 mph and said to myself it is time to quit.
Elmo

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Cheap transportation here. To save miles on my car too, since they're so much anexpensive carrot to replace. Marketing of automobiles is not fair to mechanics, oh I could go on.

Because I've always been a bike rider, and now can't do the mileage I want to otherwise, because of pain and stiffness. I don't like getting old...

I realized a whileago, after tinkering with these motor bikes for not quitea year: I still would rather just pedal my bike- I'm a tourist, a sight-seer, and I think a lot while riding. I almost put a topic up about it, but thought that might not fly with the motor purists. Don't want to be discouraging.

There's room in our lives for both pedalling and a motorbike. Culturally I like that it brings the motor size down from the power-oriented chopper crowd, and shows what can be practical and functional otherwise.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey My Friends, I Have An Answer That Few Have!! Lol "Because I Have Not Had A Motorbike For 59 Yrs And Thought It Was Time To Get Another One" How`s That One?? Lol. I Sold My 2003 1100cc Star Classic Last Yr (2008) It Only Had 2100 Miles On It. I Ride The Motorbike More, Shorter Rides Though. I Had To Get My 2 Cents In. Later Dudes. Ron .cvlt1
Too cool, Ron. That was a fine looking machine. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Your words reminded me that even though I never had a motor on a bike I did have a mini bike. It was a thing called a 'Doodle Bug' 2 HP Briggs with a kick start even. Too many years ago to accurately remember, but I used to ride it to school and that was elementary school, not junior high. Wonder where that thing is today.
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
because my wife told me if I didn't stop driving she was going to call the highway patrol. I convinced her that I couldn't kill anyone with a motorbike.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Well my manual said i could use the engine for a log splitter, a boat or a bicycle. I dont splitt any wood cause i have electric heat, my lake behind my apartment is frozen, i might make a boat with a motor kit next summer but for now its on a bike.

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
In the early 60’s a friend had a Sears Moped. I rode his and was sold. Saved up my money from a job picking up golf balls at a driving range (no tractor, picked up by hand) and had enough money to buy a Moped in 1963. Parents said “NO, you’ll kill yourself”.

Graduated from college, got married and had a friend that had a new Honda 750 4 cylinder. Got the urge again. Wife said “NO, you’ll kill yourself”. That was an interesting statement since at the time I was an Air Force pilot flying jets over Vietnam. She was OK with that, no danger there. Found a Harley Davidson 90cc street/trail bike used and convinced her that a 90cc wouldn’t kill me. Bought it and later quietly upgraded to a Honda CB360T. Early 80’s came and kids, work, etc and I got out of the motorcycle business. I gave up my motorcycle endorsement on my driver’s license.

Now in my “Old Age” I got the urge for bugs in my teeth again, but I didn’t want to go through the hassle of a new license, insurance and expense that goes with owning a motor cycle. I saw an ad on the internet for a bicycle motor and started doing some research. I ended up buying a Schwinn Landmark from Wal-Mart and a friction drive kit from Stanton. I now have “low speed” bugs in my teeth but it is the same fun that I used to have on my Honda at 70 mph. Best money I ever spent.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
I've been (forcefully) retired for 8 years now due to a stroke. Up until two years ago; I was able to make the 1 mile round trip to the corner drug store if I needed anything. I then began to notice some burning sensations in my lower legs after about a 1/4 mile, so, I decided to recondition an older, '70s Mountain bike to make the trip. That worked fine till last spring when the burning returned with a vengeance. At that point I decided a scooter was the only answer. Then (much to my glee) I found the kits!
It's been "Happy Time" ever since! Bugs in the teeth? I've eaten worse.

Rob zpt

Footnote: 75 FLAWLESS miles on this machine!

Last edited: