Hand grip removal- What's your method?

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
This is what I do. I have a spray bottle with 99 percent water and 1 percent dish soap. I spray a long skinny flat tip screw driver and then wedge it under the grip to be removed as far in as I can gt it. Then.. The space made by the screw driver being wedged in, I will take my spray bottle and spray into the space created . I then pull the screw driver out, and simply twist the grip off. To replace the grip, simply spray up inside the grip and the bars and slide on. Once the water dries, grip will be secure as a rock !! Also.. If you have an under sized grip, simply place it into water and microwave it in the water for a minute or 2. Once hot, take it to your bike, spray everything and work it on. Works Great and no compressed air needed. Also..Once it drys, it will stick like glue !! Enjoy the ride....

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I just twist the grips with my hands and pull them off... It's kind of slow, but this method works even when no tools are available haha.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I should mention this 'cause the grips on the HT throttles can be a ***** - particularly if ya wanna use a nice set of bicycle grips.

It's simple enough, get say a big coffee can or w/e and fill it with hot soapy water, throw in the china twist grip (minus kill switch ofc) and the bike grip you want to put on it and let them soak fer a few. If you used water hot enough to be not quite simmering - by the time the water cools enough that you can deal with it comfortably you can usually work the stock grip off quite easily.

The new bicycle grip is softer to begin with than the rock hard POS that came with the kit (why we're gittin' rid of it obv), now that it's been in the bucket this whole time it outa stretch over the plastic tube for the throttle with not much effort. To do this I do suggest using the end of the handlebar in the plastic tube (but without the cable and kill switch) because it's kinda easy to crush it otherwise, particularly if it's still hot.

If it starts getting really difficult, just get some more hot, soapy water and let it soak while you smoke a cigarette and chill - when you get back it outa be ready for you too ;)

Stock Schwinn grips;

If anyone has a better way - I'm beggin' ya for it lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This for all you foolios to go out & try right now!!
This is the easiest way on earth to take a grip off!!!! No comrpessed air, no WD40, no water & screw driver or spokes........ just a wrench & a hammer & it's off in 3 hits!!!!!!!
This works on 90% of all grips out there; the only grips it won't work on are super soft (super sticky) rubber grips...

Seriously!!! go out to any bike right now & try this!!!

(& if you can't remove it in 3 hits; you're hitting it like a girl!!) :D

Ahhh, thanks a lot, Venice...You owe me a throttle/kill switch, a clutch lever, two brake levers and a rear view mirror mount. That hammer method is a little rough on things...:)
Tom

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
My best to date method for removing the grips is with a pair of pliers.
Of course it ruins them. I have also used a punch and hammer and that is waaay less destructive, but still a little harsh on the vintage grips and some of the softer ones.

My best to date method without destroying them is to pry up the edge, (careful there with the screwdriver) shoot some windex in there and give them a couple of twists. After working them for a few seconds, they will slide off like magic.
if your talking about removing old grips, push in a flat head screw driver between rubber and bar, a shot of WD40 move flathead around the entire grip and wala it comes off. ggod luck

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
This for all you foolios to go out & try right now!!
This is the easiest way on earth to take a grip off!!!! No comrpessed air, no WD40, no water & screw driver or spokes........ just a wrench & a hammer & it's off in 3 hits!!!!!!!
This works on 90% of all grips out there; the only grips it won't work on are super soft (super sticky) rubber grips...

Seriously!!! go out to any bike right now & try this!!!

(& if you can't remove it in 3 hits; you're hitting it like a girl!!) :D

like the pics venice, i will give it a try next time, what did we start?????????/ some nice bikes on your web. looking to do a springer with discs, getting ideas from your web pics, looks like some custom fab caliper mounts. if not plz advise where i could find them. thnx chopper joe S. chicago area 35degrees and still 2 wheelin

chopperjoe

Nov 15, 2009
bourbonnais il
like the pics venice, i will give it a try next time, what did we start?????????/ some nice bikes on your web. looking to do a springer with discs, getting ideas from your web pics, looks like some custom fab caliper mounts. if not plz advise where i could find them. thnx chopper joe S. chicago area 35degrees and still 2 wheelin
hey is that a scratch on the frame tube when the wrench slipped???????/ ha ha forgot to mention my old girlfriend, she could suck those grips off

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
My best to date method without destroying them is to pry up the edge, (careful there with the screwdriver) shoot some windex in there and give them a couple of twists. After working them for a few seconds, they will slide off like magic.
I do the same thing but with rubber alcohol. It leaves no residue on the grips or I'll use the air method if I can plug the other end.

Last edited:

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
To remove the grip get a skinny screw driver insert and spray wd-40 inside then pull it out. To install a new grip, wipe the wd-40 off with wet warm cloth, then wait to dry. Then get a hair spray and apply to the handle bars then insert the new grip. Hair spray is very good adhesive.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I have found the easiest way to take off the grips is to put a cat on a leash attatched to the grip and play a recording of a pit bull....works every time you just set it and forget it.