Thatsdax 47cc kit 127
NiteRider Lite 100 used
Serengeti Flashlight 14 used
Tail Light 10
Bike Light(removed) - 15
Bell Mirror 4
4 Liter tank 40
Paint 12
Stuff 30 (slime, lube, locktite, mounting HW)

Total $402

If I were to want to sell it I would pull the expensive light and sell it for $450. It seems the basket would be somewhere between 30-50 new. The mirror is custom and could be bought for around $20.

This has to be the cheapest bike I have built. The others all have little add ons that cost.

Oh yeah NOT MARRIED, dog as seen below
is okay with my hobby, of course I have never had him ride in my trailer, I have a feeling he would not like that.

Attachments

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
#1 150 wallmart jag 250 4 stroke mill misc about40 #2 100 cranbrook 89mill 66 2 stroke#3 15 2nd hand store mt bike 119 grubee 49cc, thats it guys i have groups of time invested and a few upgrades that dont cost enough to count i search yard sales and 2nd hand stores you wouldnt believe the stuff i find, later frank

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I try to build them fairly inexpensive, but I won't use cheap bikes and components on something that I am going to be cruising at 25 to 30 m.p.h.
I buy high quality bikes off craigslist (Treks, Giant's,good quality Schwinn's with chrome moly frames, and I have a rule, I won't pay over $50.
Then you add the $150 engine kit and misc. parts (high quality tires & tubes, new seat and bars ect.) Usually end up with between $300 to $400. And alot of machine shop time building parts.

John

davearoy

Apr 25, 2009
Lakeland, Florida
I'm afraid to add it all up! LOL. Now its more fun to me to try to have as little as possible in my builds.the bike I just built I have maybe $150 in and it is as sweet as any I've ever built!
That is a very nice build. Who did you get the engine from? Is it an 80 cc? I realy like the black engine

Dave
Lakeland, Florida

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
not built yet, but...
$30 for a 24" steel frame road ready murray from a pawn shop, already paid for itself when I was at a motel for a few weeks in ocala.
$115 for a 49cc kit from zoom.
$0 for tools, lube, angle grinder, mig welder, scrap steel, LEDs, wire, etc since I live and work on a horse farm and salvage electronics.
3 miles to a rv graveyard to find problem solving parts for the build.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
not built yet, but...
$30 for a 24" steel frame road ready murray from a pawn shop, already paid for itself when I was at a motel for a few weeks in ocala.
$115 for a 49cc kit from zoom.
$0 for tools, lube, angle grinder, mig welder, scrap steel, LEDs, wire, etc since I live and work on a horse farm and salvage electronics.
3 miles to a rv graveyard to find problem solving parts for the build.
You need to get in touch with me Kid.....I'm in G'ville [email protected]

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
My first MB was free. All I had to do was properly re-assemble the carburetor.
My second one is still in progress.
$20.00 Used Atlas Industrial bicycle.
$100.00 for a used engine and a bunch of parts, incl. SBP shifter kit.
$25.00 for a used engine good for parts only, trashed cases, piston and cylinder. I might rebuild it though.
$25.00 for a brand new engine, missing carb and clutch release though.
Total so far: $170.00..................and growing exponentially.

I will have to fabricate custom front and rear engine mounts for the Atlas. The tubing is too large to fit the stock mounts.
I have crazy ideas of a hack saw, belt sander, hole saw kit and silicone adhesive.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
How much money do I have in my bikes? Oh, man... do I really want to know? I don't. I know I could have a much nicer car than I have (88 Samurai) if I didn't divert most everything beyond scratching by into my bikes. I think I will stay away from exploring this any further... don't want to compromise the fun I'm having. It is like adding up all you've spent on beer in the last year might make the next one taste not so good. It's just one at a time, like the bike stuff... just a seat, just a new set of wheels, just another motor and they're pretty cheap and it is a prudent thing to have a spare bike in case the other one doesn't work at the moment, and it would run better with a tuned exhaust, and being safe with good brakes is just the sensible thing to do. And lights, you really need lights. You know how it is. Don't add it up, I say.
Silverbear

Silverbear

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
1. 2009 Schinn Demar Crusier from walmart = $99 (like new still)
2. 2009 48cc Dualstart Starfire Gt-2 grubee = $186 (600miles,runs better than new)
3. 18v battery,1hr quick charger,and 12v lights = $75 (2years old,works good still)
4. new carb(cause i broke the old one)+new intake=$38
5. bike lock,chain and chain breaker,and cables=$30
Total= $427

The look on my face riding the bike at WOT= priceless

Last edited:

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
How much? A good used car might have been cheaper. But I will add my share:

Bike #1:
$ 45 for used 24" mountain bike (hers)
$200 to have it professionally overhauled (do it myself next time!)
$165 for the higher-end engine kit (shipping included)
$ 50 for new tires and puncture resistant tubes
$ 15 for rear-view mirror
$ 45 for good helmet
$ 70 for bright yellow riding jacket
$ 50 for foo-foo carrying bags (she bought them)
-----------------
$640 for a bike she can start and ride without fear.

Bike #2:
$ 0 for Haro V3 mountain bike I purchased 15 years ago
$ 165 to have it professionally overhauled, handlebars, pedals (will do it myself next time!)
$ 165 for the higher-end engine kit (shipping included)
$ 200 for the jackshaft kit
$ 50 for parts to rebuild the engine after breaking head studs
$ 45 for metric tap and die set to help rebuild engine (has no other use)
$ 50 for new tires and puncture-resistant tubes (rears later ruined by HUGE nail on highway)
$ 30 for replacement rear wheel set of tires and tubes
$ 15 for rear-view mirror
$ 70 for bright yellow riding jacket to chase cagers away
$ 128 for Bell motorcycle helmet to chase cagers away
$ 17 for security cable
$ 65 for extra comfortable gel-filled seat
$ 45 for SenDec Tachometer
$ 20 for Bell electronic speedometer
-----------------
$1065 ! And some dollars for hardware store parts, pieces, and drills. I tend to spend above the bare-bones minimum for anything I want to last for a long time.

But a higher-end new off-the-rack road or mountain bike can still easily exceed this pricetag. And not be as much fun. And still a whole lot cheaper than any scooter I have priced.

Oh, well. When I'm done inspecting and tightening bolts, I know I can ride this combination all day long in comfort at good speeds with confidence I will get back (barring nails on the road and running out of gas). 25 mile rides are common; did a 138 mile ride not long ago; am planning a 150 miler as weather permits.

Until state law enforcers require it, I'm holding off on lights, registration and all that...

MikeJ

Last edited:

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
um lets see.
Free frame.
Free wheels.
free spray paint.
$26 white wall tires.
$20 amf girls bannana seat bicycle. Used the seat and handle bars.
$5 light set
$135 Red Bat 66cc from BoyGoFast.
$20 White Header Wrap
meter still tikin but i love it!
Total= $206

Attachments

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
On the bike I ride.
$255. gp460 engine
$150.00 Sick bike parts front freewheel setup.
$70.00 Fancy scooters cvt.
$ 5.00 The bike a 24 inch full suspension steel frame mountain bike with no mor flats, Bought from a moving sale around the 25 th of the month.
The old stuff from the happytime like the tuned pipe that was ruining the happytime clutch. Freebie

On the happytime everything is well used even the second freebie bike so I guess $20 .00 for brakes , and cables .

Last edited:

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
I would quess about $600.00 from purchase to now in the bike and another $50.00 in bike tools. Compared to my other hobby the cost is low, but the enjoyment I get from my MB is priceless.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have over $1K in each bike. My ride is a $125 Diamondback bike w/disc brakes, 4.2hp GP460 engine, Scooterguy frame-mount w/shift kit, Specialized wheelset, Armadillo tires, etc.xct2

My Project 29er build uses a new steel Kona frame, NuVinci hub, Velocity wheelset, Scooterguy frame-mount, SBP shift kit and a new EXTREMELY rare Tanaka 47R racing engine.xct2

My bikes are priceless to me.