coaster brake issues.

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I have this onyx 29 inch moto-bike.

My question involves the coaster brake. For some reason after I took it apart the it has started making the pedals turn just by moving the wheels. Nothing so serious that it's like a fixed gear, but when I put no pressure on the pedals they will move with the wheels movements. lightly and they will stop if i have my feet on em.

Did I tighten the coaster to tight or something? Do I need to have the coaster set in a certain position before installing? (I have the internals of the coaster brake assembled correctly, at least in the correct directions/placements) I'm sure I could have solved this by now, but this extra chain and the inability to put my bike on a stand is kicking me in the face.

Just post me a link of a youtube video that shows the do's and don'ts of reinstalling the rear wheel, cause I seem to be screwing it up.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
yeah I've loosened the entire assembly a bit and it stopped the issue but it cause the rim to wobble on the bearings. Maybe I need a bushing/washer or something...

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
Find the sweet spot and get the adjustment bolts tight against one another.

Get the wheel on the bike, then before tightening it into place, turn the whole deal until the brake arm is up where you attach the band around the chain stay. Now Move the wheel back to tension the chain. Finally tighten it all up.

Do not move the brake arm into into place with the axle nuts tightened.

A bike shop, if you bring in the wheel only, charges about $10-$15 for an adjustment.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Cone adjustment wrenches are an almost must have when trying to get this right. I finally had to break down a get a set for mine.

Good luck!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
+1 to all.
Cone adjustment. I found that with mine I had to make it a little tight to keep the wheel from wobbling, but it worked itself out. Also make sure your rim is completely true while you're at it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I always tighten the nuts on the right-hand side (pedal chain side) finger-tight only, then position the brake arm and center the wheel. Tightening the axle nuts does the rest. Never had any issues with doing it this way. Wheel is never too tight or too loose.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yeah, there's a sweet spot but it's hard to find. I've recently been using BBB's method and then checking for any wobble or tightness. To check for tightness you can move the pedal chain with your fingers and it should move backwards for that few inches very smooth and easy.

But...... back in my noob days once I must not have hit that sweet spot because I went to re-grease the hub and found that 2 bearing races were completely busted in half and the ball bearings were just floating around loose. It's funny because I didn't even know I had an issue (was running smooth). Does that indicate I had too much wobble or was it too tight?