sprocket problems

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
.duh.i got my bike all together and was so excited to start it but i cant because my chain keeps sliding off the back sprocket every 5 feet! FIXES??

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Alignment/tension...the two most important things to consider with your chain. Shoot for about 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain and check the alignment of the chain/sprockets/tensioner wheel. All three must line up near perfect. Most clamp-on tensioner brackets require a slight twist to get them to align with the chain path. Also the bracket should be secured to the frame by some means to keep it from loosening and rotating into the rear spokes. I drill all the way through the bracket and frame and use a 10/32 bolt and nut. Some simply install a self tapping screw through the bracket into the frame, (chainstay). Whichever way you choose it is good insurance against a dangerous and expensive event if the tensioner gets into the spokes.
Tom

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
i deff have the chain tight but maybe my alignment is out,how do i move the engine and crap over if it is?

girlgofast

Jul 20, 2009
California
i'm having trouble with my tension and sprocket as well. i got one of those spring-loaded tensioners but it only works properly in one direction and the chains rubs against a bolt which, imo is placed very poorly on the setup. based on the fact that my chain's tension is variable throughout one full wheel rotation i am assuming that my sprocket is not properly aligned. it must not be perfectly centered on the wheel.

does anyone have a spring tensioner on their MB that i can see a pic of?