Clutch cable way too short

GoldenMotor.com

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Just got the Grubee Skyhawk kit in finally. Looks like hooking the clutch up will be my first problem. There's just not enough cable coming out of the cable housing. There's 4 1/4" of cable but after you put on the spring, there's only one inch. It's a long stretch to get to the clutch pivot arm. I know the cable housing needs to be cut but my question is, can I do away with the ferrule on one end? I've tried to pull the ferrule off so I could trim the housing but it seems impossible to get off. I know some bike controls can be used without a ferrule but don't know about it in this situation. I'm sure this has come up before. Searched all over the place for 2 days to avoid starting a new thread but gave up. Thanks for any info.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
thats not an uncommon problem. just go to the bike shop and get a brake cable...its the same thing.
if you do get the ferrule off, then you run into the metal wound innards of the housing. too much trouble for me

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
thats not an uncommon problem. just go to the bike shop and get a brake cable...its the same thing.
if you do get the ferrule off, then you run into the metal wound innards of the housing. too much trouble for me
Thanks. No bike shops within 100 miles of me so have to usually do the southern engineering thing. I wonder if I could just shorten the spring bit? It's length looks like overkill but maybe it has to be that long to do the job. For now I'll just see if I can find a shorter housing in my junk and spare parts.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
just clip the housing with sime sharp sidecutters and open up the hole with the tips. its not rocket science. s'what i did and its working fine. bike shops cut housing all the time they usually buy it in 50 foot rolls and put the ends on themselves.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yep, unless you have a really looooong bike, just cut the cable housing to fit. I cut mine with my purpose made cable and housing cutters, but before that I use Dremel cutoff wheel.

We sell cables (teflon coated), if you need a new one. It's a little longer than 5.5 ft.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
You dont need that ferrule on the end or the spring at all,it will work without thos,mine does. just cut the housing and connect it up and it will work.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Highly recommend the teflon cable from SBP. It's stronger than the stock cable and makes the clutch pull easier. Like everyone else said discard the smaller diameter spring. It just makes the clutch harder to pull.