commuter survival pack

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I was going to share what I keep with me at all times whenever I hit the road, and also get feedback/input from other riders.

My 'survival pack' now currently includes:
-multitool metric allen set 1mm-5mm(this handles all the side plates on the motor and most of the bike brake adjustment)
-fat handle screwdriver w/ flat/phillips reversable bit(clutch barrel)
-10mm ratcheting wrench and socket ( for most intake/exhaust and mounting bolts in hard to reach places)
-14mm wrench and socket( for tensioner)
-6mm allen key for upgraded tensioner bolts
-zip ties(you never know, and why not)
- electrical tape
-bent nosed pliers no teeth please.(for getting master link off in a hurry)
4 quarters and 1 dollar bill. (has been for air but i plan to get an air pump)

soon to include, because ive been negligent:
tire lever, spare tube, air pump

additionally, if i bring my bike to work on it i carry my mini dremel 4.8v and my dewalt 12v screwdriver/drill, i can completely disassemble my motor in under an hour. Ive found that the socket 5mm is awesome for doing clutch maintenence/ cleaning.

I carry most of my stuff in an oversized backpack in case I need to pick up stuff, and I use a large duffle with a shoulder strap for when I hit the grocery store.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Zip ties- loc tite - and I try to drill out as many bolt holes to 3/8 when im uilding ikes so i carry a half dozen 1/2 -1 inch nuts olts and washers. I usually have a couple ozs of whatever oil im using at the time along with a pair oc rubber gloves(usually from a work firstaid kit) along with tools small vice grip- allen wrench set - small screwdriver with mulhti tips- and a few wrenches.

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I carry my half inch socket ,10mm socket, a ratcheting 9/16-1/2"combo, spare magneto in double zip lock bag with 5-6 paper towels, electrical tape, small roll of duct tape, multi screwdriver (flat &phillips, large and small) 10 mm wrench, extra bulbs for my lights, extra flashlight, safety reflective vest, waterproof matches, and 2 multi purpose glue sticks for sealing in case of gasket failure...and a razor blade knife...

By the way, imo, this is a great thread!!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Dont forget the sandpaper for those fouled plugs. Ive been saved more times y tis tool than any other especially when dialing in the carb

Last edited:

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
By the way, imo, this is a great thread!!![/QUOTE]

thanks! with this being my only source of transportation, im looking to optimize it in any way so i can build confidence to leave town without being afraid of breaking down. I will be going to the hardware store to buy some more tools today, and i am looking to get things that i can add to my tool kit.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I carry no tools with me anymore. I used to have a trunk and I carried every tool I would need, an air pump and spare fuel (It was a huge touring trunk). But, as I grew confident in my mechanical abilities and learned how to put my kit and bike together better, I no longer needed any of those things. I use Slime tubes (I'm not advocating slime tubes over thorn resistant tubes, but I do recommend doing something to prevent flats). As far as carrying tools, I just rode for awhile and after not needing any tools 99.999% of the time, I stopped carrying them. I'm not advocating that anyone not carry tools, because every bike is different and you may need your tools some day. It's been my choice not to carry tools, and if I ever did break down a few miles from home, I'd be screwed. I'm just saying that over time, its possible that you'll grow more confident in your abilities and perhaps feel less of a need to carry them.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Corrections: sorry I meant 13mm not 14mm. I would normally carry a 15mm for the wheel bolts, but I don't have to now because of the quick release, so less weight. Also, I added an adjustable wrench, a shop towel, bent nosed pliers and angle cutters/dikes... and a picture of the duffle bag. It's cold now so I have gloves on, and this thing my friend calls it a buff, I'm not really sure what you'd call it, but its like a thermal headband that is long and can cover your nose ears and mouth when it gets cold. I wear safety glasses when I work, and I had an incident where I got something in my eye while I was riding and felt like I was going to die, so i just wear them.

Heck, i can just list them, I laid them out in the picture from left to right:

• kobalt allen key set
  • fat handle screwdriver
  • reversable phillips/flathead bit
  • 10mm rachetting wrench
  • (kinda blurry sorry) 10mm socket and 1/4 to 3/8 adapter
  • 13mm ratchetting wrench
  • small extender and 13mm socket
  • 6mm allen key
  • zip ties
  • shop towel
  • electrical tape
  • adjustable wrench
  • bent nosed pliers no teeth
  • dikes or angle cutters(get the zip ties off)
  • tire lever
  • safety glasses
  • glove(s)
  • buff or headband thing

Attachments

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Has anyone ridden these motors 150+ miles in a day? How many continuous hours can the motor withstand? What tools did you bring? I can say for sure that I am not confident enough in my build yet to ride the engine hard for more than 30 minutes without worrying that Im going to have to stop. the manual says to inspect and tighten things after each ride. But Ive only just ridden a handful of treks and one trek across town to some isolated place I found with my friend on google maps.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Has anyone ridden these motors 150+ miles in a day? How many continuous hours can the motor withstand? What tools did you bring? I can say for sure that I am not confident enough in my build yet to ride the engine hard for more than 30 minutes without worrying that Im going to have to stop. the manual says to inspect and tighten things after each ride. But Ive only just ridden a handful of treks and one trek across town to some isolated place I found with my friend on google maps.
Never gone quite that far but me and my neighbor did 112 miles one day and the only thing that needed tightening was the headbolts...and I brought my previous listing of items plus a gallon of premixed gas...but this was with the rear rack I no longer am able to use...was thinking about a2 day trip with a tent and 5gallons of gas and ibuprofen

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
This sounds like a need for a competition. Basically a few riders take their two strokes, and they ride for as long as they can before the engines fail. They can only stop shortly for gas and to eat. I'd be game for that!

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
oil.. adjustable wrench.. allen wrench, patches with sandpaper ;)...pliers..a few extra links...and a funnel...i think thats all....

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I normally carry blue loc-tite, blue RTV, a 3/8 wrench/socket, and a 7/8 wrench/socket, as well as a crescent wrench, some zip ties, string, and tape. Being I recently changed over from a Briggs engine to a Honda, I'll be adding a 10mm wrench to the set. All of this is kept in a lock box mounted over the rear wheel.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've ridden mine all day long, stopping only to fill up and fix flat tires. I would add a hand pump and a good patch kit to any survival pack. I use the patch kit and tire pump more than anything else. I never had a bit of problem running all day continuously. Air-cooled motors don't overheat, so unless something breaks, it will run for hours. I have many thousands if miles on my current engine with no trouble at all. I simply keep up on the maintenance .

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I had this posted over here originally...

Here's most of mine.. minus a bundle of 10" cable ties, and the air pump strapped under my crossbar. I have a ziplock bag if misc fasteners in the frame bag under the tank, a roll of electrical tape, tire patch kit, the chain tool and spare link and clips, and a spark plug.

I got a couple of pieces of material from work that are black plastic made into sheets like corrugated cardboard. From them I shaped inserts for my bags to keep them a little more rigid, and then cut smaller pieces from the off-cuts that fit into the bottom of the bag, giving me a small sub-compartment of sorts. I keep a couple of tie-down straps, rags and bungies under there. Great for securing stuff, or for tying the bike upright in the back of someone's truck. ;)

All of this is in a small bag in one of my carriers with a spare innertube:

Needlenose and regular pliers.
Screwdrivers
Wrenches: 1 x 8mm, 2 x 10mm, 2 x 14mm
Multitool
Plug wrench
Allen wrenches (roadside find (^) )

The second and fourth wrenches down (10mm and 14mm) have a ratchet in the box end.

Attached Thumbnails

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

In Dr. Strangelove, the B-52 is approaching the target. Major T.J. King Kong (played by Slim Pikens) does a check list of the items in the standard-issue survival kit.

Seriously. I noticed many people included electric tape. If you are going to carry only one type of tape, Gorilla tape
or what's called radiator hose tape, (something water resistant) is a better all-purpose choice.

Snagga

May 28, 2013
MA
Gorilla tape is the only tape to carry. Also you can rewrap some around a spent gift card or a empty bic pen housing cut in half instead of carrying a big role